Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qld Central Coast Possible Cyclone

Qld Central Coast Possible Cyclone

Old Mar 1st 2007, 2:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Qld Central Coast Possible Cyclone

People up in north Qld have probably been watching the trough off the coast, latest from the BOM is
"An active monsoon trough over northern Australia extends through the northern
tip of Cape York Peninsula and into the Coral Sea. It has been active with the
slow development of two lows, the deeper low near 16S154E with a high potential
for cyclone development within the next 12 to 24 hours. A second low near
13S147E has a less organised cloud signature with a low probability of
developing into a cyclone.

The potential for tropical cyclone development along the monsoon trough is HIGH
overnight Wednesday and/or Thursday.
"

There is a possibility of a cyclone building lower down the coast than first thought, so people around Mackay, Rocky, Gladstone areas might like to consider keeping an eye on www.bom.gov.au and think about your cyclone plans.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 2:16 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qld Central Coast Possible Cyclone

Be good if some of that rain ends up down here.

But I bet we could have a category 5 storm in Brisbane and it would still miss the catchments
Old Mar 1st 2007, 2:20 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by themerlin
Be good if some of that rain ends up down here.

But I bet we could have a category 5 storm in Brisbane and it would still miss the catchments
They should build a dam at Marchant Park, cricket was rained-off there on Sunday and I managed to accidently step in the only puddle in South East Queensland ... twice.

But yeh, some of the rain without the destructive effects might be nice ... talking of destruction I saw a sign on the side of a van today that said "Non-Destructive Digging" ... I mean, how?
Old Mar 1st 2007, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
People up in north Qld have probably been watching the trough off the coast, latest from the BOM is

"

There is a possibility of a cyclone building lower down the coast than first thought, so people around Mackay, Rocky, Gladstone areas might like to consider keeping an eye on www.bom.gov.au and think about your cyclone plans.
Cheers Polly, Read it as low. Sun shining as we speak.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:26 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
They should build a dam at Marchant Park, cricket was rained-off there on Sunday and I managed to accidently step in the only puddle in South East Queensland ... twice.
Musta missed it. Cricket was played on the fields over on 7 Brigade Park on Sunday. The Marchant Park fields looked ok.

Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:27 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by framac
Sun shining as we speak.
...but for how long?
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:03 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Musta missed it. Cricket was played on the fields over on 7 Brigade Park on Sunday. The Marchant Park fields looked ok.

Yeh, it surprised us, we were moved from the turf wicket to artificial at 7th Brigade ... I didn't mind so much as I tend to score OK on Gabba grass ... especially when the boundaries are ridiculously short as they were on Sunday
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:05 am

Yeh, it surprised us, we were moved from the turf wicket to artificial at 7th Brigade ... I didn't mind so much as I tend to score OK on Gabba grass ... especially when the boundaries are ridiculously short as they were on Sunday

Which pitch were you playing on? I was walking past around midday.

Oh silly me!!!!!
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:07 am
Account Closed

Which pitch were you playing on? I was walking past oround midday.
Number 1, I was probably still batting ... which is a rare occurance ... you could tell it was me by the grim determination not to get out and the lack of runs ... that and I was in white
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:15 am

Number 1, I was probably still batting ... which is a rare occurance ... you could tell it was me by the grim determination not to get out and the lack of runs ... that and I was in white
Obviously you were the one at the non-strikers end then. Saw a couple of wickets fall quickly.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:29 am
Account Closed

Obviously you were the one at the non-strikers end then. Saw a couple of wickets fall quickly.
You may have seen the end of the first (losers!) team's innings, we rattled 'em out pretty sharpish, I didn't take much notice of the time, I was still recovering from Saturday Night Gutrot and was dehydrated ... OK, I think that's enough detail!
Old Mar 1st 2007, 12:42 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana

"

Thanks Polly I will be keeping a close eye on this thread and on the BOM website
Old Mar 1st 2007, 12:42 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

ave got ma shoppin in lol
Old Mar 1st 2007, 1:26 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
ave got ma shoppin in lol
I'll keep you posted, at present we are up for 24 shifts over the weekend, first time since Larry, and they are talking of closure of Gladstone Harbour as the gales come south. Hopefully it'll turn again and move away, but at least theres plenty of planning going on behind the scenes - teams ready to move in for recovery work etc.

Hope your bottle shop could supply enough to keep you going Biggy?
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 6:21 am
Home and Happy

At 3:00 pm EST a Tropical Low, with central pressure 996 hectopascals, was centred near latitude 16.7 south and longitude 151.1 east which is 440 kilometres north northeast of Hayman Is and 535 kilometres north northeast of Mackay.....expected to intensify into a TROPICAL CYCLONE by Saturday night.

Central Pressure : 996 hectopascals
Location of Centre : within 40 kilometres of
: latitude 16.7 degrees south
: longitude 151.1 degrees east
: which is 440 kilometres north northeast of Hayman Is
: and 535 kilometres north northeast of Mackay
Recent Movement : near stationary
Maximum wind gusts : 85 kilometres per hour and slowly INTENSIFYING

Issued this afternoon by BOM. Currently near stationary so its difficult to predict the direction it will move in, but its deepening, and we areall on standby rosters for the beginning of next week. Still looks like the Mackay/Rocky area will get the worst of it if it turns shorewards.

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 2nd 2007 at 6:28 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.