Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QLD / Brisbane 'Buy & Sell' newspaper - second hand furniture

QLD / Brisbane 'Buy & Sell' newspaper - second hand furniture

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 5:52 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default QLD / Brisbane 'Buy & Sell' newspaper - second hand furniture

Is there an equivilant to the newspaper 'Buy & Sell' in Brisbane ? Any publication that you can buy and sell almost anything ?

As it is near impossible to rent a fully furnished house long term, we are after some cheap second hand furniture to put into a rented house until we manage to buy our own house and furnish it to our own taste. The second hand furniture doesn't have to be perfect, just to last about 9 months and be clean.

Any suggestions ?
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 6:12 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QLD / Brisbane 'Buy & Sell' newspaper - second hand furniture

Originally posted by irishmolly
Is there an equivilant to the newspaper 'Buy & Sell' in Brisbane ? Any publication that you can buy and sell almost anything ?

As it is near impossible to rent a fully furnished house long term, we are after some cheap second hand furniture to put into a rented house until we manage to buy our own house and furnish it to our own taste. The second hand furniture doesn't have to be perfect, just to last about 9 months and be clean.

Any suggestions ?
Don't know if this is exactly the thing but The Courier Mail has a Classified section. Scroll down the left hand side, quite a way down.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 6:21 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Any suggestions ?

Try the Trading Post.

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 6:43 pm
Hello from Brisbane

Originally posted by Bordy
Try the Trading Post.

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/
Trading Post is exactly what I was looking for - everything we need is listed.

Courier also had items but not a dedicated as Trading Post.

Thanks for the links folks.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 7:09 pm
togooff&things

Try E-bay.au. Put in Brisbane in search bar and select furniture category down left hand side, like I did here:

http://search.ebay.com.au/brisbane_F...recategoriesZ1 - then select furniture down left

Link should work, if not try yourself at www.ebay.co.au

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 10:46 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

You coould also try kerbside collections. Once or twice a year the council come to each suburb and will collect large items of rubbish from your kerbside. People put out all sorts, furniture, WMs, FFs etc. and then scavenge around each other's stuff and take it away.

I put out two very old single bed frmes the other day, one wooden and one metal. As we went out in the car one morning a guy was loading up both into the back of his car. I also put out a broken kids trike (needed a weld) and that went as well as a dangerous looking extension cord.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 10:58 pm
Hello from Brisbane

Originally posted by jayr
You coould also try kerbside collections.
Ummm, I'm not really that desperate, but thanks for sharing this with me.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 12:00 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Ummm, I'm not really that desperate, but thanks for sharing this with me.

Another way to get cheap household goods in Oz is the Garage Sale....they are usually advertised in local papers and sometimes in the Trading post as well....

They are very popular in most places in Oz and usually have a good selection of different Garage sales to choose from.

Be warned tho, like the car boot sales, the dealers will get there really early and nab all the good stuff....

I had one in Brisbane a few years back and advertised it to start at 8am...there were people in my driveway at 6am!!
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

topcat is an unknown quantity at this point

Any suggestions ?
There are lots of furniture / white goods etc. advertised for sale on university noticeboards as the international students pack up and go home.

UQ has started up a web classifieds section but it isn't that popular yet
http://www.uqu.uq.edu.au/classifieds/

and QUT has a similar thing
http://www.guildonline.net/classifieds/market.asp
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 12:25 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

How cheap do you want?

Some of the rubbish dumps around Brisbane also have sales. I'm serious. The people who work there go through the "good" stuff that people chuck, and sell it on site. I've never been to one.. but I have heard it's a load of rubbish. You can also buy things such as wood etc from them.

Garage sales are probably your best bet for getting the cheapest things. They are advertised in the courier mail - in the pull out trader on Saturday, also your local (quest) free paper will have the garage sales in your neighbourhood..
Sometimes markets (boot sales) can be ok for the smaller items like coffee tables etc. One of the biggest market is up in Morayfield on a Sunday.

A don't think that a lot of these second hand stuff you see advertised by private sellers in the papers are any cheaper than buying new sometimes. You may find it's actually cheaper to go to one of these independent pine furniture shops and just buy new. Things like bookshelves, bed side tables etc can be bought very cheaply from the new pine furniture shops ( less than $100 for say a bookshelf) .. tables such as dining room, coffee etc are probably cheaper to buy second hand and not new - for some reason tables and coffee tables tend to be the most expensive items.

For white goods look around at the second hand white good shops ( recycled, and repaired). You will also get a guarantee for a few months. I bought my washing machine from one when I first arrived in Aus.. can't remember the exact cost, it was that long ago now.. but it was pretty cheap and I had a guarantee for 3 months ( which you won't get buying from a private seller).. still got the same washing machine and still working perfectly .. 7 years later.

For very cheap household goods such as cutlery, crockery, bed linen etc.. try the warehouse or crazy clarkes ( sort of like "hyper value" in the UK)
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point

we found buying everything from ikea worked out cheaper than buying second hand !

have a look on www.ikea.com.au

lucy
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:14 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

The Trading Post is very good, but you could also try some of the auction houses. Here's a link to a well established one in Brissie - Strophairs.

Another tip for whitegoods is to approach the companies who rent them out. I've both rented and bought fridges and washing machines from Kwik Appliance Rentals and found them excellent to deal with. They are a family owned Brisbane business. As they only rent whitegoods for a relatively short length of time (age of appliance, not length of rental), you can buy a fairly new appliance for a pretty good price.

Last edited by ProofReader; Aug 3rd 2004 at 9:18 am.