QANTAS worries?

Old Mar 10th 2020, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default QANTAS worries?

So I've just read & heard QANTAS CEO won't be taking a salary for next three months & Exec will be taking a 30% pay cut. They've said they have enough to pay leave for staff up to September but after that will be a big re-assessment. They've grounded large jets and will be diverting stopovers to Perth rather than Asian cities.

We have been savings points with a view to booking flights next year (we're nearly at the full point amount). My OH has concerns that QANTAS the next step might be (temporarily?) banning the use of QF points. Or even perhaps stopping the use of buying flights with points altogether.

Unsure whether to try to book flights for next year now with points or to keep on holding on?

Interested in other's thoughts....

Old Mar 10th 2020, 4:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QANTAS worries?

Things are very fluid, and what is known today could change tomorrow. It will likely be several weeks, at very least, before the situation stabilizes, and it could be months. And it isn't just QANTAS that's suffering, all airlines, especially long haul airlines, are under a lot of stress - just today Virgin Atlantic has disclosed that they are flying planes that are "almost empty". There is speculation that Cathay Pacific is about to fail - it certainly seems to be one of the weaker airlines.
Old Mar 10th 2020, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it is a 'how long is a piece of string' situation. Just wondered if it was better to have flights booked rather than points that may be taken away/redemption paused...
Old Mar 10th 2020, 10:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game
I suppose it is a 'how long is a piece of string' situation. Just wondered if it was better to have flights booked rather than points that may be taken away/redemption paused...
I just said this morning that it's a good time to book flights. We've been thinking about going to Canada for Christmas this year so we may book soon. IMO, if you've got points I would use them now.
Old Mar 10th 2020, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I just said this morning that it's a good time to book flights. We've been thinking about going to Canada for Christmas this year so we may book soon. IMO, if you've got points I would use them now.
I am receiving a LOT of airline deal emails at present! Who would you fly with Dorothy? (hope you're well by the way!)

I wonder if I did book flights with QF frequent flyer points (but they were with another carrier ie: Qantas points but Emirates/BA flights as the actual carrier) if the flights would be honoured despite an airline going 'under'? Obviously I really hope Qantas won't go under - would be a huge shame for all the staff and the iconic Aussie brand.... just mulling options over before anything bad (might) happen...we've saved quite a lot of points.

What to do... what to do....
Old Mar 10th 2020, 12:52 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I am receiving a LOT of airline deal emails at present! Who would you fly with Dorothy? (hope you're well by the way!)

I wonder if I did book flights with QF frequent flyer points (but they were with another carrier ie: Qantas points but Emirates/BA flights as the actual carrier) if the flights would be honoured despite an airline going 'under'? Obviously I really hope Qantas won't go under - would be a huge shame for all the staff and the iconic Aussie brand.... just mulling options over before anything bad (might) happen...we've saved quite a lot of points.

What to do... what to do....
I don't know if you can use QANTAS points on Emirates, can you? I know I used American Airlines points to book on Qantas but seem to remember that I couldn't use them on Emirates.

We're thinking either Qantas or AA so we can stop in Dallas for a couple of days.
Old Mar 10th 2020, 12:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I don't know if you can use QANTAS points on Emirates, can you? I know I used American Airlines points to book on Qantas but seem to remember that I couldn't use them on Emirates.

We're thinking either Qantas or AA so we can stop in Dallas for a couple of days.
I think you're right, Emirates are very fussy about points flights even for their 'own' customers.
Old Mar 10th 2020, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes you can use Qantas points on many affiliated airlines. We've used points for Emirates and Cathay Pacific flights before. You can also select BA and Air France also (there are more but I'm not sure of the whole list).

I'll do a screen shot if I can work out how !
Old Mar 10th 2020, 1:08 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can use Qantas points on many affiliated airlines. We've used points for Emirates and Cathay Pacific flights before. You can also select BA and Air France also (there are more but I'm not sure of the whole list).

I'll do a screen shot if I can work out how !
Must have changed then, my husband had a huge number of Qantas points due to working offshore, we redeemed them for Qantas and Cathay Pacific flights but could never get an Emirates one. If you can get a flight then go for it!

Just something that you're probably already aware of, Australian travel insurance policies taken out after 23 January this year won't cover you for anything related to the coronavirus. I realise (I hope!) that it'll all be over by the time you travel, just mentioning it in case someone reads this thread and is thinking of snaffling a cheap flight for the relatively near future.
Old Mar 10th 2020, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hope this works

This is what the redemption page looks like. You can see Qantas, American Airlines and Cathay Pacific flights available to choose.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
points.pdf (46.6 KB, 28 views)
Old Mar 10th 2020, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Must have changed then, my husband had a huge number of Qantas points due to working offshore, we redeemed them for Qantas and Cathay Pacific flights but could never get an Emirates one. If you can get a flight then go for it!

Just something that you're probably already aware of, Australian travel insurance policies taken out after 23 January this year won't cover you for anything related to the coronavirus. I realise (I hope!) that it'll all be over by the time you travel, just mentioning it in case someone reads this thread and is thinking of snaffling a cheap flight for the relatively near future.
We last used Qantas points on an Emirates flight back in 2017 however I do know a lot changes with Qantas points last year.

Thanks for the heads up about insurance policies. I'm never sure who to procure insurance policies with - when moving 'one way'...?
Old Mar 10th 2020, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Screenshot was too large... here's Emirates ones (not sure if this works!)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
points.pdf (37.7 KB, 40 views)
Old Mar 10th 2020, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Airlines WILL fail - and the number of flights we make will be drastically reduced.
Old Mar 11th 2020, 10:58 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I flew PER-MAN first class on Emirates using QFF points

That was an experience

I believe it's still available

I can't see QF restricting the use of points as they will want to get as many bums on seats as they can on their flights

Last edited by Amazulu; Mar 11th 2020 at 11:02 am.
Old Mar 11th 2020, 11:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Airlines WILL fail - and the number of flights we make will be drastically reduced.
I agree but it will be a short term problem. Airlines will fail but others will rise and take their place - always have, always will. The market works it out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.