Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qantas v Malaysian

Qantas v Malaysian

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

susmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Qantas v Malaysian

Just a thought while reading your replies, all of you who have never visited Australia or the far east before will be amazed how pleasant shop assistants etc are. We are so used to mediocre service! you should be pleasantly suprised. The only wierd thing I found is they will ask to look in your hand
bag as you teave the store which can come as a bit of a shock
Susan
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 1:59 pm
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

Jasmin,

I think you'll be out of luck. I think that the criteria for double baggage allowance is normally :

1. That you are travelling one-way.
2. That you are travelling on an unused migrant's visa.

But it won't hurt to ask...

Btw, I used to know a Jasmin in Jersey. Didn't used to hang around with a girl called Tarnia (quite distinctive spelling) did you ?
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 2:20 pm
Fez

Yvonne

Coming from an organisation who hates to piss off it's customers, I would offer the
following advice: Call Malaysian and ask to speak to the Customer Services Manager
(if asked, say you've been speaking to them already about something, they'll never
know!). Then explain your predicament and say that you know for a fact that many
other airlines offer the 40kg to people emigrating and they are not very competitive.
Explain that the reason you know this is because of this news group and Malaysian
have now appeared in a very unflattering light to many potential customers. Ask if
they would possibly reconsider and you would happily tell all your fellow
news-groupies how lovely they are. If you want to quote an example, my partner and I
are flying Emirates and they have given us the extra allowance even though we have
bought a return ticket because we're popping back to the UK for a visit next summer.
My experience is that most companies would rather not look uncompetitive.

Hope this helps, Fez

ywoods <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am going with Malasian and have found out to my detriment that they will not
    > give the 40k baggage allowance if you have a return ticket even with your
    > migration visa!
    >
    > So I am stuffed basically
    >
    > I booked with a company called Quest Travel (Surrey) who were quick to take the
    > £200 (£100 each for my son and I) extra for me to change dates, but to make a
    > cancellation and rebook a one way ticket was mad.. have to lose 50% of the ticket
    > price then pay £500 each for one ways. The return ticket was only £750.
    >
    > After called Quest was told to call Malasian who told me to call Quest.. alas
    > nothing but a blokey who thought he was god, putting the phone down on me when I
    > asked to speak to someone in a more senior position, still not understanding me, I
    > made it a little bit more interesting and asked to speak to someone who earnt more
    > money than him, which resulted in the phone being slammed down on me *shrug* Spoke
    > to the manager there who called Malasian who conceeded to allowing me 5k extra in
    > the hold and 5k extra in the cabin. Which meant I was being 'done' out of 32k!!!
    >
    > Got on the phone to Barclaycard who has advised me to try Trading Standards (which
    > I will do tomorrow) to see if I have an issue to be taken up. Will keep you posted.
    >
    > I know it is six of one half a dozen of the other, but you woulda thought something
    > better woulda come out of it!
    >
    > Yvonne
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 2:20 pm
Phil

Default Air NZ

We are flying to NZ next week and have been told we can take two pieces of luggage
weighing upto 32kg EACH - ig 64kg per person. I have never flown air nz before so i
just hope the service is good!!! but at least i can take all my things!!!

Emily

"pread" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Funnily enough, I've tried exactly the same tack with Emirates Dubai, as I got no
    > joy with our previously-ever-so-helpful Emirates sales woman. Not too hopeful, but
    > not ready to give in yet.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Paul.
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 5:20 pm
Thunder Ace

[email protected] (susmac) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > ywoods <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I am going with Malasian and have found out to my detriment that they will not
    > > give the 40k baggage allowance if you have a return ticket even with your
    > > migration visa!
    > >
    > > So I am stuffed basically
    > >
    > > I booked with a company called Quest Travel (Surrey) who were quick to take the
    > > £200 (£100 each for my son and I) extra for me to change dates, but to make a
    > > cancellation and rebook a one way ticket was mad.. have to lose 50% of the ticket
    > > price then pay £500 each for one ways. The return ticket was only £750.
    > >
    > > After called Quest was told to call Malasian who told me to call Quest.. alas
    > > nothing but a blokey who thought he was god, putting the phone down on me when I
    > > asked to speak to someone in a more senior position, still not understanding me,
    > > I made it a little bit more interesting and asked to speak to someone who earnt
    > > more money than him, which resulted in the phone being slammed down on me *shrug*
    > > Spoke to the manager there who called Malasian who conceeded to allowing me 5k
    > > extra in the hold and 5k extra in the cabin. Which meant I was being 'done' out
    > > of 32k!!!
    > >
    > > Got on the phone to Barclaycard who has advised me to try Trading Standards
    > > (which I will do tomorrow) to see if I have an issue to be taken up. Will keep
    > > you posted.
    > >
    > > I know it is six of one half a dozen of the other, but you woulda thought
    > > something better woulda come out of it!
    > >
    > > Yvonne
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Hi Yvonne
    > Find the Malaysian airlines site on the internet and email their head office in
    > KUL Give them a hard time saying something along the lines of you have always been
    > happy with their service in the past and have often recommended them to friends
    > and colleagues,(they don't know any differant!) therefore you are extremely
    > disappointed with your treatment in this case and you trust they will be able to
    > help you and ensure other loyal customers are not treated this way in future!.
    > It's worth a try and in my experience contacting the head office in any complaint
    > is usually the way to go . Service in the UK sucks and we are to easily put off by
    > people who can't be bothered Good Luck Susan

On the subject of Barclaycard, like all other credit card companies, they have the
same obligation to you as the company that you bought your ticket through. You have
the right to put your payment into "Dispute" until your complaint has been resolved.
If you feel you have not been given the service you have paid for, then call
Barclaycard again and ask them to withhold the payment. They are obliged to do so
pending an investigation. I know this because I have done it several times over the
last couple of years. It has always ended with a favourable result.

Thunder Ace

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

alexander is an unknown quantity at this point

been with both Singapore Airlines and Malaysian Airlines from UK to Malaysia/Singapore vice versa. I would say both airlines are great!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 10:20 pm
Jaj

You may find it a lot harder (or impossible) to get double baggage if your flying the
second time around, having validated your visa.

The alternative is to fly via the US, where the standard baggage allowances are much
more generous (2 pieces of luggage, up to 32kg each).

Jeremy

>On 2 Aug 2002 14:21:09 GMT, pread <[email protected]> wrote: Jasmin,
    >
    >I think you'll be out of luck. I think that the criteria for double baggage
    >allowance is normally :
    >
    >1. That you are travelling one-way.
    >2. That you are travelling on an unused migrant's visa.
    >
    >But it won't hurt to ask...
    >
    >Btw, I used to know a Jasmin in Jersey. Didn't used to hang around with a girl
    >called Tarnia (quite distinctive spelling) did you ?
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Cheers, Paul.
    >
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 8th 2002, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

jasmin is an unknown quantity at this point

My situation has now changed and although I had a ticket for October for a one month trip, I am now going on that ticket and not returning.(Myself and Hubby)
As its a return ticket Malaysian will not give me extra allowance, all they have conceded to is 5kg extra and they say everyone gets it, and its only a verbal thing, of course my ticket says 20kg and so there is always a chance we may be charged extra.
I spoke to the Ticketing Manager, she was an awful woman and refused to entertain me when i briefly explained my problem, when i said well can i just have the 5kg extra, accused me of trying to trick her... uh???
I'm spitting feathers at jer terrible attitude problem.
Old Aug 8th 2002, 11:14 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Qantas v Malaysian

Jeremy,

Speaking from personal experience I can confirm that I (and my family) received the double baggage allowance when we migrated to Australia - and I had validated my visa when I flew to Melbourne six weeks beforehand. That's 160kg all up for us as a family, and I recall that by the time we checked back in at Singapore for the flight to Melbourne we were at 160.3kg!

The page in my passport opposite that containing the visa was stamped when I entered Australia for the first time - of course the visa itself isn't stamped. So if the airline asks for a copy of your visa send them a copy - but not the page showing that you've already entered Australia after the date on which the visa was granted.

Best regards.

Originally posted by Jaj
You may find it a lot harder (or impossible) to get double baggage if your flying the
second time around, having validated your visa.

The alternative is to fly via the US, where the standard baggage allowances are much
more generous (2 pieces of luggage, up to 32kg each).

Jeremy