Qantas problems

Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Qantas problems

I wouldn’t fly with them – Not because of safety, but because they have terrible service and are a terrible airline.

As for safety, you’re worrying about nothing, They're as safe as most other airlines. They’ll get you from A to B but don’t expect anything special in-between.

Also, it’s a myth about Qantas being the only airline without fatalities; several airlines have never had a fatality. Also, Qantas can no longer claim they have never had a crash (QF1 in 1999).

Mikey

Last edited by Mikeyc; Aug 18th 2008 at 3:30 am.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:59 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Also, it’s a myth about Qantas being the only airline without fatalities; several airlines have never had a fatality. Also, Qantas can no longer claim they have never had a crash (QF1 in 1999).
It's also a myth that QF have never had fatalities....they have had fatalities, just not in their jet engine fleet. They have certainly had major incidents, Bangkok as you mention & the recent explosion were very serious.

I'd have no issues flying with them from a safety point of view, just from a service point of view!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

Mitra and Ahura is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=
While it may not have had any fatalities in the past, that by itself does not make it a safe airline in the future. British Airways has not killed any passengers for a very long time (1976 was the last time in a mid-air collision) and I would rather fly on them ahead of QF any day. QANTAS should have had the 747 they crashed in Bangkok in 1999 scrapped but in wanting to keep their untarnished reputation for never writing off a jet aircraft intact, they paid more than it was worth to put it back in the air.

[/QUOTE]

That is a good point, It may not make it a safe airline in the future. But that is just in the hands for fate really. No one will know. I am a nervous flyer and am comforted that even though Quants has had incidents like so many other airlines, there has been no fatalities on a commercial flight AND they are the world's second oldest continuously operating airline (behind KLM) and the oldest in the English speaking world. Is the 747 that crash landed in 1999 the same plane that landed in manila? WIth the big hole in it? the one that they patched up? I so, thats messed up!

Good to hear about BA being safe, am flying back home with them next year!

I agree with you Mikeyc, I also wouldnt fly lond haul with them because their service is awful. Much better to fly singapore air or cathay pacific for service. I read up on the crash and it is awful that the plane landed like that but a positive way tolook at it is that the pilot got everyone down safely. (but that may be just me trying to make myself feel less freaked out about flying!)

Bottom line is Flying is safest form of transport. Plane crashes are very rare, unlike car crashes that happen every day!

bcworld, they have had a fatality with a refuling incident on the ground and some in 1940 something in war planes but none in a commercial flight. and that is the positive point I was highlighting.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:16 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anawanahuanana
British Airways has not killed any passengers for a very long time (1976 was the last time in a mid-air collision) and I would rather fly on them ahead of QF any day.
What about Manchester then (cabin fire whilst on the ground)?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mitra and Ahura
Is the 747 that crash landed in 1999 the same plane that landed in manila? WIth the big hole in it? the one that they patched up? I so, thats messed up!
Not sure, but the registration of the one that crashed in 1999 is VH-OJH. I don’t know the rego for the one that blew the hole..... I also wonder if it’s the same 747 that “turned off” earlier this year. Remember a flight from London about to land in Bangkok had all the power and engines just turn off while flying! lol

The worse Qantas flight to get on is the 747 that does the Sydney – Perth and Perth to Sydney route, every time I have gotten on that same aircraft (since 2003) it has been cancelled or delayed because of a broken engine, every time my Mum has gotten on it to come to Sydney it’s the same – she came over 3 weeks ago, it took 17 hours for her to get from Perth – Sydney, via Adelaide, lol. The engine on that plane broke, again!

Virgin Blue for domestic now and Asian or Middle East for International.

Mikey
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:25 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
What about Manchester then (cabin fire whilst on the ground)?
I think that airline was British Airtours - looks like BA paint job wise but not sure what the relationship is??
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:29 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I think that airline was British Airtours - looks like BA paint job wise but not sure what the relationship is??
Wholly owned by BA (at the time).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airtours
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...urs_Flight_28M
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Qantas are just lucky that the “blow hole” incident didn’t turn out like the United Airlines over the pacific going from HNL – it ripped the whole side off and sucked a few passengers right into the engine (that’s why you should always sit behind the wings lol)

Mikey
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:37 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

(that’s why you should always sit behind the wings lol)

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...c84/United.jpg

Mikey
I think the outcome will remain the same though.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:38 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

And I'm sure it's better to be minced by the engine then to fall into the sea
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Yea, but given the option i'd prefer to skip the bit of being sucked into the enginge and cut up into little bits. lol

Mikey
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:42 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Yea, but given the option i'd prefer to skip the bit of being sucked into the enginge and cut up into little bits. lol

Mikey
Oh I dunno?

I think becoming part of a vapour trail is a much quicker route to the afterlife than hitting the sea at 120 mph+ (if you happen not pass out due to hypoxia)?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

anawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure, but the registration of the one that crashed in 1999 is VH-OJH. I don’t know the rego for the one that blew the hole..... I also wonder if it’s the same 747 that “turned off” earlier this year. Remember a flight from London about to land in Bangkok had all the power and engines just turn off while flying! lol
The Manila incident was OJK. I believe it was OJM that lost electrical power. It didn't have "all the power and engines turn off"!

The worse Qantas flight to get on is the 747 that does the Sydney – Perth and Perth to Sydney route, every time I have gotten on that same aircraft (since 2003) it has been cancelled or delayed because of a broken engine, every time my Mum has gotten on it to come to Sydney it’s the same – she came over 3 weeks ago, it took 17 hours for her to get from Perth – Sydney, via Adelaide, lol. The engine on that plane broke, again!

Virgin Blue for domestic now and Asian or Middle East for International.

Mikey
The QF service SYD-PER is operated by elderly 747-300s (when they are not broken) which are getting long in the tooth and have suffered a bit over the years. Poor things.....

Wholly owned, yes, but most definately not operated by B.A.

Qantas are just lucky that the “blow hole” incident didn’t turn out like the United Airlines over the pacific going from HNL – it ripped the whole side off and sucked a few passengers right into the engine (that’s why you should always sit behind the wings lol)

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...c84/United.jpg

Mikey
That's what a cargo door letting go will do. Frankly I'd rather take my chances in a comfy Business or First class seat than sit in Economy incase the door comes off!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Mitra and Ahura is an unknown quantity at this point

lol poor big matt, he came on here to reassured but instead he will read about bodies being sucked into engines and becoming little pieces! (Mikey! )

I also wonder if it’s the same 747 that “turned off” earlier this year. Remember a flight from London about to land in Bangkok had all the power and engines just turn off while flying! lol

Wasnt that the BA flight coming into heathrow? Where the pilot was labeled a hero? I agree with waht u say about flying asian and middle eastern, much better service. Cant beleive that about the sydney perth flight. Thats a joke!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitra and Ahura
Wasnt that the BA flight coming into heathrow? Where the pilot was labeled a hero? I agree with waht u say about flying asian and middle eastern, much better service. Cant beleive that about the sydney perth flight. Thats a joke!
The BA happened a few weeks after (same problem though). Yea 17 hours Perth to Sydney was a nightmare for my mum, the most annoying part was that she was only coming for the weekend! lol

And surprise surprise, the same aircraft back was delayed by 4 hours due to, you guess it...... a problem with the engine! They usually use that aircraft on the red eye from Perth to Sydney and on the 19:20 Sydney to Perth.

Mikey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.