Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qantas...hmmmm....

Qantas...hmmmm....

Old Oct 30th 2011, 11:32 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas...hmmmm....

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
What 'strike'?
Just how many days have the pilots been on strike?... hours perhaps... minutes maybe.
There goes your perception of reality vs a customers. I fly every other week on Qantas, I cant trust them because they are having all sorts of disputes. I have in the last 12 weeks chosen other carriers because of the dispute at advice of my travel company. Now I know there are no more disputes and I can fly.

The "Strike" was disruption to the company over a prolonged period - and the union were threatening it to continue for 12 months + , 12 months of instability is a hell of a lot worse than 12 hrs of shock+awe.

It wasnt the pilots - it was the ground crew causing most of this .
Old Oct 31st 2011, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Wife was looking forward to spreading out on 4 seats on her BA flight from Heathrow to Sydney today. Plane was looking pretty empty. Now they are running 2 hours late and full to the rafters. I guess that's a minor complaint compared to the inconvienice for others.

Gillard could have prevented all this ...... any other PM with a backbone would have.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:22 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Unbeleiveable. The union are blaming the CEO and the CEO is blaming the unions..........and Gillard says "aint I clevva for sorting that out"

They've all been arseholes. Not one of them *get it*- no one gives a shit how long it lasted, the reality is it happened and should never have gone that far. The escalation process is abysmal, another example of shite policies in place and reactive management

I love Aus but when it comes to brains in business, it's emotionally devoid

It's upset LOTS of customers ALL OVER THE WORLD....no one gives a shit about one upmanship between the unions, the CEO and Gillard. It's all about the customer. As for competative salaries, they need to start with reducing the CEO's salary and maybe then can they afford to compete. He's just shown he's not worth it.

Dickead union, dickead CEO and dickead Fairwork policies.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:43 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

So, people have been slating the CEO. What would you do then differently, assuming that :

1. You already pay the highest wages in the industry by a long chalk.
2. Your international business already haemorrhages money annually because of the huge costs of being based in Australia & will probably go out of business anyway within 3 years unless radical reform takes place.
3. Unions are now demanding not only 3-5% pay increases but demanding that you legally bind yourself to ensuring that you cannot outsource or expand overseas.
4. You have strikes happening weekly and your brand is already damaged with no possible end in sight.
5. The serving PM whose very existence depends on the goodwill of her union backers wrote the legislation you have to work within.

Really. I admire the bloke for having some balls in an impossible situation to bring it all to head.

Still think Qantas internationally will die. It's just not viable. It just costs too much for the product in a globalised marketplace.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:49 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
So, people have been slating the CEO. What would you do then differently, assuming that :

2. Your international business already haemorrhages money annually because of the huge costs of being based in Australia & will probably go out of business anyway within 3 years unless radical reform takes place.
3. Unions are now demanding not only 3-5% pay increases but demanding that you legally bind yourself to ensuring that you cannot outsource or expand overseas.
4. You have strikes happening weekly and your brand is already damaged with no possible end in sight.
5. The serving PM whose very existence depends on the goodwill of her union backers wrote the legislation you have to work within.

Really. I admire the bloke for having some balls in an impossible situation to bring it all to head.

Still think Qantas internationally will die. It's just not viable. It just costs too much for the product in a globalised marketplace.
That makes a lot of sense
Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:50 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

His own pay rise was not leading by example. Giving as much notice as required by unions would also be a start. The biggest complaint by customers is the lack of notice.

No side comes out smelling of roses and customers suffered unnecessary inconvenience.

At least the action is over.

Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:58 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
His own pay rise was not leading by example. Giving as much notice as required by unions would also be a start. The biggest complaint by customers is the lack of notice.
this always makes me laugh - the ceo salary as a multiple of the worker.

frankly- if my ceo earned anything in relation to what I earn - I'd leave. I want the guy at the top to be paid on par with his peers, to not have to worry about his gas bill, and to be 100% focused 100% of his time on the job at hand in steering the company.

These guys work an impossible schedule and have every part of their life scrutinised. Why shouldnt they earn a huge buck. They are exceptional people by dint of the fact there are far fewer of them than there are any other type of job/worker.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 10:03 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Qantas share price is UP by almost 5% today. hmmm...
Old Oct 31st 2011, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst not popular, in some respects it was a stroke of genius - he had time to prepare his argument to FWA, Unions didnt so Qantas was more likely to win the argument for a complete end to the action - forcing the unions back to the table without more aggro from them.

Agreement has been reached with 12 out of 15 unions, so surely the terms and conditions cant be that bad - else more of the 15 unions would have been striking.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 10:08 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly I would have held off with any talk about a wage rise for the ceo until the time was right. Which clown thought that was PR and for a CEO to even go there makes him an even bigger clown. Timing was shite and that's an understatement

The Union requests are out of order and not in line with the real world. No one anywhere gets a job for life these days. They need bringing back into line and if they can't come to the table sensibly, the law should intervene. The arbitration process should lend itself to ensure deals are beneficial to the customer, the worker and the company and slowly force out union requirments. Unions are outdated and in Austoo powerful but they've been a neccesary evil as Aussie companies (generally) are not accountable for the way they behave. Culturally the way business operates here is shoddy and it's *deeper* than a few union spats here and there. We need to smarten up management practice and encourage workers councils who are more even handed however union and corporate *behaviour* needs to be protected by a strong legal process forcing all parties to compromise.

The serving PM should take a closer look at her own lousy policies that clearly exaserbate poor union and corporate behaviour. A reconcilliation process needs to ensure the final decision is made within good time so as to not get out of hand and to stop both parties being unreasonable. This is especially important when it involves the closure of a major airline affecting so many people. Any business/ Union issue that has major ramifications needs to have a third party interventioin to avoid this kind of moronic behaviour, someone who represents all parties concerned i.e. cusomter, company & workers in equal meaure.

At the end of the day this was a poorly managed dispute and it became a political football and all it did was leave egg on everyone's faces. It's damaged customer goodwill and global credibility and with everyone screaming "it's not my fault gov" no one learns a darn thing
Old Oct 31st 2011, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by spalen
this always makes me laugh - the ceo salary as a multiple of the worker.

frankly- if my ceo earned anything in relation to what I earn - I'd leave. I want the guy at the top to be paid on par with his peers, to not have to worry about his gas bill, and to be 100% focused 100% of his time on the job at hand in steering the company.

These guys work an impossible schedule and have every part of their life scrutinised. Why shouldnt they earn a huge buck. They are exceptional people by dint of the fact there are far fewer of them than there are any other type of job/worker.

CEO's should be paid a CEO salary. But like anything there's a time and a place for negotiations and during this major headace, this aint it. It should have been deferred
Old Oct 31st 2011, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

O

Well said, and if the staff lose their jobs, then find another elsewhere like the rest of us in the private sector.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 11:48 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Christ almighty. Thatchers children speak.

"Executive pay rose by an average of more than $940,000 or 17.2% over the past year, while the annual wage of a full-time worker rose by just $3200, or 5.2%"

"Profits soared by 27.5% in the last 12 months to a record share of the national economy, while wages’ share is the lowest since 1964"

http://www.actu.org.au/Media/Mediare...geworkers.aspx

No doubt you all think "they're worth it" and that the 'ordinary worker' deserves to be ****ing shafted.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Christ almighty. Thatchers children speak.

"Executive pay rose by an average of more than $940,000 or 17.2% over the past year, while the annual wage of a full-time worker rose by just $3200, or 5.2%"

"Profits soared by 27.5% in the last 12 months to a record share of the national economy, while wages’ share is the lowest since 1964"

http://www.actu.org.au/Media/Mediare...geworkers.aspx

No doubt you all think "they're worth it" and that the 'ordinary worker' deserves to be ****ing shafted.
People are saying you have to pay a relistic wage to get the right people to do the job. It's called market forces.

People are also saying the timing to negotiate and award his salary was poor timing.

That's got nothing to do with Thatcher it's got everything to do with astute business practice, practiced all over the world.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 12:10 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Firstly I would have held off with any talk about a wage rise for the ceo until the time was right. Which clown thought that was PR and for a CEO to even go there makes him an even bigger clown. Timing was shite and that's an understatement

The Union requests are out of order and not in line with the real world. No one anywhere gets a job for life these days. They need bringing back into line and if they can't come to the table sensibly, the law should intervene. The arbitration process should lend itself to ensure deals are beneficial to the customer, the worker and the company and slowly force out union requirments. Unions are outdated and in Austoo powerful but they've been a neccesary evil as Aussie companies (generally) are not accountable for the way they behave. Culturally the way business operates here is shoddy and it's *deeper* than a few union spats here and there. We need to smarten up management practice and encourage workers councils who are more even handed however union and corporate *behaviour* needs to be protected by a strong legal process forcing all parties to compromise.

The serving PM should take a closer look at her own lousy policies that clearly exaserbate poor union and corporate behaviour. A reconcilliation process needs to ensure the final decision is made within good time so as to not get out of hand and to stop both parties being unreasonable. This is especially important when it involves the closure of a major airline affecting so many people. Any business/ Union issue that has major ramifications needs to have a third party interventioin to avoid this kind of moronic behaviour, someone who represents all parties concerned i.e. cusomter, company & workers in equal meaure.

At the end of the day this was a poorly managed dispute and it became a political football and all it did was leave egg on everyone's faces. It's damaged customer goodwill and global credibility and with everyone screaming "it's not my fault gov" no one learns a darn thing
Yep, pretty much agree with your analysis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.