Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qantas - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Wikiposts

Qantas - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Old Jul 25th 2003, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

DonnaS is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can't fly with an Asian airline then Qantas are definitely better than BA, and from my experience purely in terms of the attitude of the staff. The BA crews I and my family have experienced are arrogant, rude, can't be bothered, it's more than their jobs worth to do more than they have to - huge generalisation I know, but epitomises a lot of the British public I seem to come across too - which is why I want to leave Britain, or the southeast anyway!

My sister has also noticed that crews (whatever airline, but particularly BA) appear to be much more helpful and happy and friendly if they're leaving their country, but on the way home they are grumpier!

anyway, if you have a BA/Qantas ticket, there is always a Qantas flight at about the same time as a BA flight going to the same destination, so I always ask for Qantas, otherwise they seem to assume I would prefer BA.

Can't you just tell I feel quite strongly about how crap BA is - the world's best loved airline - they need to do some market research!!
Old Jul 25th 2003, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

It's a shame that someone doesnt send a link to this thread to BA Customer services!!

We had a bad experience with them last year. We were flying to the States and we had connecting flights. Unfortunately, my husband's flight connecting flight was late but he still had time to board the flight to the UK, however, BA said that as he was late they had filled his seat as they were overbooked anyway - this was bearing in mind that he had another flight to catch the following morning from the UK. They said that there was nothing they could do and as that was the only flight he would miss his flight from the UK. Luckily, he managed to fly with another airline.

The BA staff were very rude abd had a could not care less attitude. We were especially annoyed as we had booked direct with BA reservations and all timing were done by them.

Singapore are excellent - very child friendly - the onºy thing that put me off was a massive thick black hair (i am blonde) in my food - yeuck!! -went hungry all the way to OZ!!
Old Jul 26th 2003, 6:27 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Well far be it from me to be un-PC (!!!) but I second most of the opinions about BA cabin staff being arrogant and unhelpful (in most respects but they are usually all too happy to let you get pissed from the drinks tray on long haul which I suppose is a big plus in most cases for all parties concerned!)

Un-PC because I reckon a BIG part of their problem is the age and job longevity of their staff. Instead of the predominantly 20-somethings you get on other great airlines (Lauda, Singapore, Virgin, Thai, Cathay, Malaysian), most of the BA cabin crew are pushing 40. Nothing against that, I'm a sad old old fart myself. But I much prefer a younger cabin crew to an arrogant rude old bit*h/ b*stard - the younger ones are in general much more eager to please and game for a laugh. Time they retired off most of the sourpusses.
Old Jul 26th 2003, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by debsy
It's a shame that someone doesnt send a link to this thread to BA Customer services!!

I think BA Customer Services are rather busy at the moment after last weekend's debacle at Heathrow. My compensation claim went in yesterday along with, no doubt, several thousand others.

This is BA's last chance to save themsleves in the eyes of many customers. The anger I saw last weekend won't just go away. If I owned BA shares right now I would sell, sell, sell. I can't see them surviving for more than another 2-3 years without a major change of direction.
Old Jul 26th 2003, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
... most of the BA cabin crew are pushing 40....
You have obviously never flown United then ?
Old Jul 26th 2003, 6:06 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by etlniwd
You have obviously never flown United then ?
Just the once - on long haul, a few years back LA-Sydney as it happens (pretty sure it was United). Got 4 seats to myself and slept most of the way. My boss had let me trade a business fare London-LA return for a round the world ticket in coach class (saving my old company about GBP2K!) so I tacked on 10 days' holiday to the business trip, diving out of Cairns.

Don't remember the crew as being old fogeys though...
Old Jul 26th 2003, 10:51 pm
Geelong October!!!!

Codgob is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh Heck,I work for BA!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 26th 2003, 10:55 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ben.M
At least Quantas crew have a sense of humour...
One time flying between Aus and NZ, as we were coming into Auckland airport, the Qantas captain said "Remember to set your watches forward two hours, and back thirty years"..

The Australians on the plane thought it was very funny
Old Jul 27th 2003, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew with BA/Quantas and it was horrifc, I would rather swim there than fly with them again. The Quantas plane was shabby with one big screen for all to watch. You are not guaranteed a 'private'tv screen and a choice of viewings unlike other airlines. The staff on Quantas were rude, the food was like package holiday stuff, awful experience (still sends a shiver down my spine now). A friend who lives in OZ and works in the travel industry would never fly with them long haul...she use Singapore(brilliant) .......good luck !!....................
Old Jul 27th 2003, 9:12 am
Geelong October!!!!

Codgob is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in engineering for BA and the times I've flew with them I'm afraid to say the cabin crew were awful,My family were treated fine,the other passengers weren't It's a different story in club and first different world,hopefully with the latest problems BA have perhaps something good will come of it.
On the plus side I guarantee you will never fly with an airline whose aircraft are so well maintained,all should have in seat videos by now and the latest IFE,the cabins do get tatty over time,but the whole lot is replaced every time it's in for maintenance.
So sort out the trolly dollies and all will be fine!!
Old Jul 27th 2003, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Codgob
I'm in engineering for BA ..... So sort out the trolly dollies and all will be fine!!
And the check-in staff, and the senior management ....

Nearly there aren't they ?
Old Jul 27th 2003, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Originally posted by denhim
i.....oh and i found the male flight stewards on qantas rather camp.

I thought that was a prerequisite!!

We flew BA on our first visit - CRAP and really unhelpful & rude. I had my baby on the skycot thing and didn't have the resraints on properly (not on purpose) and the air hostess yelled at me saying she saw one baby "fly through the air" when they hit turbulence the other week. Needless to say I didn't relax the whole trip. She could have been a bit more diplomatic!
Flew Malaysian & Singapore next times who were heaps better.
Singapore were the best and brilliant with kids, remembering every childs name.
Have flown with Quantas internally in Aus and couldn't fault them
really except maybe the staff could be a bit more chirpier!!

cheers
Diane
Old Jul 27th 2003, 2:19 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Originally posted by ACE
I agree would not fly BA or Quantas again, generally shabby planes and surley flight attendants. Stick to Asian airlines better service, food, IFE, more comfortable and very helpful staff. We are spending Christmas and new year in Oz flying with Malaysian Airlines cost including 5 nights stopover in Malaysia £595 per adult, £394 7 year old, £93 for the baby. Have flown with JAL, Singapore, Emirates, Indonesian and Thai all excellent.
Kind regards
ACE
BA owns a big part of Qantas so you could book on either and end up flying either also the prat in charge of BA right now is an Aussie shit who did for Ansett.

More strikes on way, say Qantas workers

http://www.travelbiz.com.au/articles/66/0c010166.asp

QANTAS Airways today confirmed it will cut an additional 1000 full-time equivalent jobs through its forced leave program in the face of a war against Iraq.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...E25778,00.html
Old Jul 27th 2003, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Flyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Codgob
I'm in engineering for BA and the times I've flew with them I'm afraid to say the cabin crew were awful,My family were treated fine,the other passengers weren't It's a different story in club and first different world,hopefully with the latest problems BA have perhaps something good will come of it.
On the plus side I guarantee you will never fly with an airline whose aircraft are so well maintained,all should have in seat videos by now and the latest IFE,the cabins do get tatty over time,but the whole lot is replaced every time it's in for maintenance.
So sort out the trolly dollies and all will be fine!!

I used to work as an engineer for BA and I have to agree with you all, the inflight service is not as good as many other airlines. If you have the choice, fly with an asian carrier, Cathay, Singapore and Malaysian all have much better service and personal IFE in economy with games etc. As far as maintenance goes though BA are better!!
Old Jul 27th 2003, 5:25 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Flyboy
I used to work as an engineer for BA and I have to agree with you all, the inflight service is not as good as many other airlines. If you have the choice, fly with an asian carrier, Cathay, Singapore and Malaysian all have much better service and personal IFE in economy with games etc. As far as maintenance goes though BA are better!!
Qantas are talking along the lines of subbing maintenance out to Asian to save costs is that a good idea?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.