Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qantas Frequent Flyer | How much is it worth?

Qantas Frequent Flyer | How much is it worth?

Old Apr 10th 2015, 5:14 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas Frequent Flyer | How much is it worth?

Originally Posted by Beoz
You also don't get status credits for your Qantas FF account on Emirates. And that for a Syd / Lon flight is needed to maintain
You do if it's a codeshare flight AND you booked it as a Qantas ticket.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 5:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Read yesterday that EK are bringing in a sub-fleet of 2 class A380s - business and economy only - 615 seats in total, 557 in economy! I could see these ultimately ending up on one or both of the PER and MAN routes but they don't arrive til December so you'll be safe!
Interesting. Starts with Dubai-Copenhagen on 1st December but looks like they've been planning to do this for a few years anyway

PER is a profitable destination (as are most Australian cities) for airlines given the premium that they charge outgoing passengers

They also have daily B777-300ER and 200LR flights to PER which have 1st class
Old Apr 10th 2015, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
But you could've flown SYD-LHR on EK on the QF flight number...in which case you'd get status credits.
Then I would be paying Qantas prices. And if I did that then I would fly Qantas with the old girls who don't mind getting the drinks cart out straight away, rather than Emirates who let you fester for an hour or so then scowl at you if you order more than one.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 7:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Then I would be paying Qantas prices. And if I did that then I would fly Qantas with the old girls who don't mind getting the drinks cart out straight away, rather than Emirates who let you fester for an hour or so then scowl at you if you order more than one.
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that now - most of the flights are now Emirates operated although you can book on a QF codeshare flight number (and thus get the perks of points etc)
Old Apr 10th 2015, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that now - most of the flights are now Emirates operated although you can book on a QF codeshare flight number (and thus get the perks of points etc)
But you can still see who's flying the plane, thus you have a choice of which airline you can fly with.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 3:38 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Interesting. Starts with Dubai-Copenhagen on 1st December but looks like they've been planning to do this for a few years anyway

PER is a profitable destination (as are most Australian cities) for airlines given the premium that they charge outgoing passengers

They also have daily B777-300ER and 200LR flights to PER which have 1st class
The Emirates A380 service starts 1 May. Booked business class return flights Perth to Athens return for my sister, who's having a holiday to recover from her chemo. She's well chuffed

I was going to book Emirates for our June PER - MAN trip, but the cheaper business class tickets for A380 flights were 'sold out' - you had to get a fully flex fare for an extra 2 grand each. Er - no. Finished up booking Qatar business - just over 5 grand each for PER - DOHA - MAN return, with good layover times. Two tickets, over 7 grand less than Emirates.

I've given up trying to use my Dividend miles for flights to the UK, way too hard now. I'll keep them for when we're living in the UK, will hopefully be able to get a trip to New York out of them.

When Scouse worked offshore, he had tons of Qantas frequent flyer points. They took us to Hong Kong and back with Cathy in business, so it was worth it for us. Only because he didn't have to pay for his offshore flights though.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Apr 11th 2015 at 3:44 am.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by renth
You do if it's a codeshare flight AND you booked it as a Qantas ticket.
Yeah point being you get status on Cathay, BA. American. All One World. Not on Emirates booking Emirates ticket. Emirates usually cheaper than Qantas so no point booking Qantas looking for a code share
Old Apr 15th 2015, 11:57 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

One advantage of the QF FF system is that the points don't expire, unlike say Singapore Air.

There are so many T & C's thatactually being able to get a flight on them is hit and miss, but you can use them in the QF shop - Mrs Wol's iPad came free like that.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wol
One advantage of the QF FF system is that the points don't expire, unlike say Singapore Air.

There are so many T & C's thatactually being able to get a flight on them is hit and miss, but you can use them in the QF shop - Mrs Wol's iPad came free like that.
..... and when you eventually go gold (it takes a lot of economy flying to do that) the lounge in Sydney airport is first class. Can't say the same for the Gold Coast though. It closes at 5 on a Friday WTF
Old Apr 19th 2015, 5:23 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Cool

Looking forward to the A380 1st class lounge in Dubai
I wouldnt bank on that. Ive flown the 380 half a dozen or more times and I have only ever transited through the new Lounge once - the trip Im currently on. I arrived from Perth onto a B gate then left for Houston from an A gate.
The A gates are the new 380 terminal (a train ride from B gates) however despite using the 380 several times to/from London and US, as I say this is the first time its been ex an A gate.
I hope you do get it though as the A gate lounge is massively better then the B one (at least in business).
Old Apr 19th 2015, 9:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
I wouldnt bank on that. Ive flown the 380 half a dozen or more times and I have only ever transited through the new Lounge once - the trip Im currently on. I arrived from Perth onto a B gate then left for Houston from an A gate.
The A gates are the new 380 terminal (a train ride from B gates) however despite using the 380 several times to/from London and US, as I say this is the first time its been ex an A gate.
I hope you do get it though as the A gate lounge is massively better then the B one (at least in business).
Had a look at my e-ticket and the flights are into and out of Terminal 3, which is where the A380 lounge is located - caveat being that EK can change Terminals if they want

Remember reading an article when EK announced the Perth A380 service that it would be going into and out of T3
Old Apr 19th 2015, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Had a look at my e-ticket and the flights are into and out of Terminal 3, which is where the A380 lounge is located - caveat being that EK can change Terminals if they want

Remember reading an article when EK announced the Perth A380 service that it would be going into and out of T3
How long to do you have in Dubai? If its an hour I have found the transit off the plane, through security and back around to reboard leaves little time for much else. Even less if you are transiting to another aeroplane. Dubai is a bit disorgansied and the queues to land create a circling around in the air shambles.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 9:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

How long to do you have in Dubai? If its an hour I have found the transit off the plane, through security and back around to reboard leaves little time for much else. Even less if you are transiting to another aeroplane. Dubai is a bit disorgansied and the queues to land create a circling around in the air shambles.
My last transit through Dubai was around 2 hours. I only had time for a very fast walk to the Emiartes/Qantas Lounge and one fast beer
Also if you are heading towards Australia remember there is a bag check at the gate, and its a physical ne not an Xray so the hold ups can be
Old Apr 19th 2015, 10:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

8 hours
Old Apr 19th 2015, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

8 hours
Should be enough time to drink the lounge dry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.