Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qantas Frequent Flyer | How much is it worth?

Qantas Frequent Flyer | How much is it worth?

Old Apr 19th 2015, 10:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas Frequent Flyer | How much is it worth?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
8 hours
You have my sympathy!
Old Apr 19th 2015, 11:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Should be enough time to drink the lounge dry.
I'll give it a go!
Old Apr 19th 2015, 11:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You have my sympathy!
1st class remember

I think I'll be able to cope
Old Apr 19th 2015, 12:43 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

1st class remember

I think I'll be able to cope
For First Class I might stretch a point but I would still be looking for a shorter connection

Enjoy
Old Apr 20th 2015, 6:47 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Had a look at my e-ticket and the flights are into and out of Terminal 3, which is where the A380 lounge is located - caveat being that EK can change Terminals if they want

Remember reading an article when EK announced the Perth A380 service that it would be going into and out of T3
Yup but T3 has A, B & C gates, each in different building. B & C are joined. A is the new one especially designed for 380's and seperated by short train ride. You will be in/out of B or A. But with 8 hours you have time to do all 3 lounges and compare!.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
I'm gold with QF and Emirates and never the twain shall meet.
QF is pretty goid for internal flights though availability is getting tougher especially at peak times. Never tried it long haul as have always used Emirates for that.
I always found EK program pretty good but this year it seems they have significant upped reward flight costs/miles needed. I wouldnt theyre a rip off but theres no such thing as a free lunch (or flight for that matter).
We're with Emirates Skywards and found they were next to useless trying for an upgrade online - e.g. last GLA-MEL returns booked 6 months before we travelled, tried for upgrades J to F (both had enough miles) weekly until departure - always said no seats unavailable in that class.

It turns out they rarely give upgrades online right up to departure day (in case they can still sell the seats). The trick is to try at check in or even later in the lounge. We tried in the MEL EK lounge and got upgrades to Dubai; tried in Dubai and got upgrades to GLA. Staff at both lounges told us this is the only way you are guaranteed of an upgrade if they aren't fully booked. In Dubai they made it even closer to departure - they said to come back at 6.30 am and boarding the plane was at 6.50 am; couldn't sell the seats up to last minute so gave upgrade.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt bank on that. Ive flown the 380 half a dozen or more times and I have only ever transited through the new Lounge once - the trip Im currently on. I arrived from Perth onto a B gate then left for Houston from an A gate.
The A gates are the new 380 terminal (a train ride from B gates) however despite using the 380 several times to/from London and US, as I say this is the first time its been ex an A gate.
I hope you do get it though as the A gate lounge is massively better then the B one (at least in business).
Small point - A gates are for A380 but not exclusively. Our last 2 trips both on 777 ER all the way; landed at a B gate, train to an A gate, into lounge, straight down to plane from the lounge that's on outward and inward legs so last 4 times at DXB (the world's largest building). Agreed on B vs A gates and the same applies to B vs A lounges - latter the best.

FWIW we've tried A380 twice from DXB to MEL and twice MEL to DXB and much prefer 777 ER ourselves. 13/14 hours non-stop not worth it for the extra you get and also it's cattle class business on the A380 - longer waits to get served meals. We like the 7/7/7 as we call it - breaking the journey down into 7 hours between GLA and DXB; 7 hours between DXB and KUL or SIN and 7 hours to MEL, same back the way. You also get 2 more visits to the lounges on a return trip on the 777 this way.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 5:57 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Small point - A gates are for A380 but not exclusively. Our last 2 trips both on 777 ER all the way; landed at a B gate, train to an A gate, into lounge, straight down to plane from the lounge that's on outward and inward legs so last 4 times at DXB (the world's largest building). Agreed on B vs A gates and the same applies to B vs A lounges - latter the best.

FWIW we've tried A380 twice from DXB to MEL and twice MEL to DXB and much prefer 777 ER ourselves. 13/14 hours non-stop not worth it for the extra you get and also it's cattle class business on the A380 - longer waits to get served meals. We like the 7/7/7 as we call it - breaking the journey down into 7 hours between GLA and DXB; 7 hours between DXB and KUL or SIN and 7 hours to MEL, same back the way. You also get 2 more visits to the lounges on a return trip on the 777 this way.
I'm underimpressed with A380s. Too big, takes ages to board and disembark, certainly nothing special about them. Give me a 330, 777 or even a 747 any day.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 2:34 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I'm underimpressed with A380s. Too big, takes ages to board and disembark, certainly nothing special about them. Give me a 330, 777 or even a 747 any day.
I like the A380 - it truly is an engineering accomplishment of the highest calibre. The air quality onboard is much better compared to other planes (higher pressure), and it handles turbulent weather very well. Plus it's extremely quiet - in the front-most section in econ you can barely hear the engines.

My favourite metal though is the 777-300ER (aka 77W). Two beasts as engines and a tried and tested plane (I don't believe this model ever had a hull loss).
Old Apr 24th 2015, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
I like the A380 - it truly is an engineering accomplishment of the highest calibre. The air quality onboard is much better compared to other planes (higher pressure), and it handles turbulent weather very well. Plus it's extremely quiet - in the front-most section in econ you can barely hear the engines.

My favourite metal though is the 777-300ER (aka 77W). Two beasts as engines and a tried and tested plane (I don't believe this model ever had a hull loss).
I only have one gripe with the A380. Its a bitch to land. Slowing something that big down takes a bit of effort and creates a few hairy moments. Watch the little flappy things on the end of the wing. They are working overtime to control it.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 10:50 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Its in interesting the views of business on 380. Its often reported as being cattle class. I disagree, yes its big and takes longer to load and especially offload. The "delays" with meal service purely academic to me. You get served twice (or whatever) does it really matter if you have to wait? Not to me.
But....to me the product itself is better than 777. Traveling alone the A or K seats are private & spacious . I understand why some find it a bit Claustrophobic but i like that privacy. Likewise in a pair the E & F seats are good. Id hate an ailse as they are so narrow.
Plus an hour or two at the bar cab wend away time pleasantly.
So for ultra long haul like i completed last week, i deliberately choose the 380 hubs over 777. However doing east coast to UK, id be torn between 3x777 legs vs 1x380 + 1x777. I agree this can be nicer.
Only once i have not managed to get an upgrade at time of booking. I suppose that 5 out of 6 in last 3 or 4 years. The one I missed I did get at airport.
It always amazes me different peoples experiences with the same product or company.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Its in interesting the views of business on 380. Its often reported as being cattle class. I disagree, yes its big and takes longer to load and especially offload. The "delays" with meal service purely academic to me. You get served twice (or whatever) does it really matter if you have to wait? Not to me.
But....to me the product itself is better than 777. Traveling alone the A or K seats are private & spacious . I understand why some find it a bit Claustrophobic but i like that privacy. Likewise in a pair the E & F seats are good. Id hate an ailse as they are so narrow.
Plus an hour or two at the bar cab wend away time pleasantly.
So for ultra long haul like i completed last week, i deliberately choose the 380 hubs over 777. However doing east coast to UK, id be torn between 3x777 legs vs 1x380 + 1x777. I agree this can be nicer.
Only once i have not managed to get an upgrade at time of booking. I suppose that 5 out of 6 in last 3 or 4 years. The one I missed I did get at airport.
It always amazes me different peoples experiences with the same product or company.
Yep, is a personal thing about the extra time to get service due to the higher passenger load in A380. The other thing I didn't like which is the flip side of waiting a long time to get your meal (depending on where you are seated relative to the galley) is you sit with your tray for a long time after you've finished - don't like putting the tray at my feet under my extended chair and then have to get it later.

We are both teetotal so the bar means nothing other than you can go and get snacks, sandwiches etc on the way back from the loo! I've always found on the 777's that you can get food or drink any time if you speak nicely to your steward (J)

I didn't notice any difference in air quality to be honest but stands to reason that would be an improvement on the older Boeings.

I haven't tried for upgrade at the time of booking - only after the booking has been made or at departure airport; I'll try that next time (is that an online booking or when speaking to someone when making the booking?)
Old Apr 26th 2015, 3:52 pm
Home and Happy

I only have one gripe with the A380. Its a bitch to land. Slowing something that big down takes a bit of effort and creates a few hairy moments. Watch the little flappy things on the end of the wing. They are working overtime to control it.
Have you landed one? didn't think you were a pilot but.....!
Anyway I have heard they aren't easy at first certainly cos they are so high up, same as going from a 321 to a 747, its hard to readjust the perception of how far you ( as the pilot) are from the ground.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Have you landed one? didn't think you were a pilot but.....!
Anyway I have heard they aren't easy at first certainly cos they are so high up, same as going from a 321 to a 747, its hard to readjust the perception of how far you ( as the pilot) are from the ground.
I'm a bit of a nervous lander. Don't know why. I feel better if I'm in the groove with the plane, watching out the window at all the bits on the wings doing their things, riding with the bumps, rolls etc. Wife always wonders what I'm doing. I say 'I'm landing the plane". Weird I know but it helps with landing nerves.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:16 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit of a nervous lander. Don't know why. I feel better if I'm in the groove with the plane, watching out the window at all the bits on the wings doing their things, riding with the bumps, rolls etc. Wife always wonders what I'm doing. I say 'I'm landing the plane". Weird I know but it helps with landing nerves.
I've always found the landings to be mega-pleasant, very smooth throughout (as you mentioned that plane has super systems to make sure it glides in perfectly).

What I have never liked though are... take-offs. I cannot stand them. Once the beast gets rolling... and continues to roll and roll... and roll and roll some more with the metres zipping by, I start thinking that we're having trouble getting up and that we will run out of tarmac and start bulldozing trees or buildings soon...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.