British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Qantas & Flight Change Charges.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/qantas-flight-change-charges-433659/)

Munchmel Mar 10th 2007 11:16 am

Qantas & Flight Change Charges....

Just called Qantas to change flight dates, first guy great, changed from August to June...no charge...so he said, August flights £3200, June flights £2600, email confirmation came through.....still charged £3200.:ohmy: Called again, dodgy character stated that I should have been charged £300 to change tickets, and they won't refund difference in airfare prices...WTF? He says to get cheaper fare I need to cancel tickets (cost £1000) and rebook .....yeh, right like anyone is gonna do that!:blink:

Reeeeally pissed off now...thinking of cancelling (despite£1000) and rebooking with Singapore Airlines, will only actually add an extra £100 to what we've already paid....and everyone rates them more...plus may get 40kg allowance (can this still be done if you have validated already??)

Have no issues with paying the £300, to change my flight dates, as stated in their terms & conditions.....but not to refund the difference in airfares.....grrrrrrrrrrrrr...they'd sure charge xtra if the change was from June to August....now am I prepared to lose £100 just coz they pissed me off??:o

wmoore Mar 10th 2007 11:30 am

Re: Qantas & Flight Change Charges....w***kers!

Originally Posted by Munchmel (Post 4504445)
...plus may get 40kg allowance (can this still be done if you have validated already??)

Most likely not I'm afraid.

Amazulu Mar 10th 2007 11:43 am

Just called Qantas to change flight dates, first guy great, changed from August to June...no charge...so he said, August flights £3200, June flights £2600, email confirmation came through.....still charged £3200.:ohmy: Called again, dodgy character stated that I should have been charged £300 to change tickets, and they won't refund difference in airfare prices...WTF? He says to get cheaper fare I need to cancel tickets (cost £1000) and rebook .....yeh, right like anyone is gonna do that!:blink:

Reeeeally pissed off now...thinking of cancelling (despite£1000) and rebooking with Singapore Airlines, will only actually add an extra £100 to what we've already paid....and everyone rates them more...plus may get 40kg allowance (can this still be done if you have validated already??)

Have no issues with paying the £300, to change my flight dates, as stated in their terms & conditions.....but not to refund the difference in airfares.....grrrrrrrrrrrrr...they'd sure charge xtra if the change was from June to August....now am I prepared to lose £100 just coz they pissed me off??:o

Yep, Qantas are sh1te. They are basically BA with a Kangaroo on the tail. I really hope this deal to sell Qantas to the Yanks goes through. They have had it too easy for too long and had too much protection from the federal government.

Go with Singapore.

Nerine Mar 10th 2007 6:12 pm

That's really shonky of them, really sorry that you've been through this with Qantas. We never use them for flights in/out of Oz, one internal flight within NZ was enough to put us off them for life.

Wol Mar 10th 2007 7:41 pm

Whoa there!

You've called twice, and got two different answers. Either one or neither may be correct. Why not have it out with someone in a supervisory position and cross-check with your ticket information and the website?

Logically, I would say that so long as you hold a ticket which actually *allows* a schedule change - and the cheapest ones often don't - they would charge to change it but the cost would change to the published fare for the new date. It would be totally illogical to make you pay another date's fare.

Munchmel Mar 10th 2007 8:01 pm

I did ask to speak to the supervisor....was just put on hold for 25 minutes, NO exageration :confused: got fed up...even if it was toll free. The website/terms & conditions state a charge of £50/per person to make any changes and a cancellation fee of £200/person, the only thing you absolutely can't change is the name on the tickets. I was too pished off to hang on any longer....I will try again tomorrow and be ready for them...if nothing else I will try and get a migrant fare baggage allowance:eek:

Wol Mar 10th 2007 8:11 pm

Are you talking to someone in Australia?

Be sure to get their full name and position, and tell them you are prepared to take it to the top. I see no justification for charging other than a rebooking fee, if your ticket allows a change.

There are something like six booking episodes for each bum-on-seat in the airline game, there are so many changes of plan, So it's quite reasonable to make a charge for changing, but not what you're told.

rangersman2 Mar 11th 2007 12:21 am

I changed from 11th to the 4th of may 2007 and keeping my return flight to Perth the same and got whacked $700 and because I was just changing and then returning with my family on the 31st they knew they had me by the boll#cks, that was with lastminute.com and malaysian, we booked early and got a good deal now they dont seem so cheap, cheers Paul

The Bloke Mar 11th 2007 4:43 am

Tough luck! You took a gamble on getting what was the best price, and then found it was cheaper at another time. Read the conditions, ie fine print, on your ticket. IF it says you are eligible for a refund you have a may have a case for compensation. You never know, the June flight may be cancelled or changed to BA or JAL.

Will we be hearing from you if they (Singapore) won't give you the 40kg?:rolleyes:

The Bloke Mar 11th 2007 4:52 am

Originally Posted by rangersman2 (Post 4505838)
I changed from 11th to the 4th of may 2007 and keeping my return flight to Perth the same and got whacked $700 and because I was just changing and then returning with my family on the 31st they knew they had me by the boll#cks, that was with lastminute.com and malaysian, we booked early and got a good deal now they dont seem so cheap, cheers Paul

That $700 was most likely the change fee plus the difference from what you paid (departing 11th) to the cost of the ticket on the 4th. Prices do not stay the same for each flight as the cost of a ticket will vary day to day, flight to flight. They have different prices for different seating arrangements, and cheap seats will go first. Usually the dearer seats are left and you would have to take what price block is left. simple case of supply and demand.
Having your family with you on the 31st would make any difference whatsoever to the cost of the ticket on the 4th, the 11th or any other day.

Munchmel Mar 11th 2007 10:00 am

:frown:

youngy73 Mar 11th 2007 11:20 am

Re: Qantas & Flight Change Charges....

every airline would be the same in that respect. there in business to make money after all.its not the airlines fault you need to change your tickets. maybe next time wait until all your affairs are in order before you book your tickets.