Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qantas Club - Worth it?

Qantas Club - Worth it?

Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:22 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas Club - Worth it?

Originally Posted by lonndongeek View Post
The 'official' line is that unless you're on a Qantas flight (Qantas plane, not codeshare) you can't use BA lounges at heathrow with your Qantas Club card.

Cheers

LG
B*gg*r.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol View Post
Well, we have gone through T3 on BA between Oz and the UK half a dozen times this last year, and are due to do so again twice next month - just checked. They may of course change to T5 by the time you go otherwise brace yourself!
Aw, ok. Well I am sure I will survive whatever but there are so few Concorde lounges I was looking forward to it. We are not going until September.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:53 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts View Post
Aw, ok. Well I am sure I will survive whatever but there are so few Concorde lounges I was looking forward to it. We are not going until September.
You'll have to slum it in the First Class lounge in T3 then. Frankly, they are all the same anyway - just somewhere to get a bit of quiet after being frisked by a guy who is the spitting image of Mohammed Atta...............
Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have to slum it in the First Class lounge in T3 then. Frankly, they are all the same anyway - just somewhere to get a bit of quiet after being frisked by a guy who is the spitting image of Mohammed Atta...............
Bah humbug to that.

(I am in first class on FF points only of course, I was thinking someone would notice this and bar me anyway ).
Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lolcat View Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's been very helpful.
I'll give membership a go for a year, as we've planned a few trips back for weddings etc. over the course of 2012.
Check into options about taking out multi years whilst outside of Oz. There is a discount for multi years as well as having an address outside Oz.

I took out 5 year membership when I was living in NZ which saved a bundle on doing the same thing when back in Oz
Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Bah humbug to that.

(I am in first class on FF points only of course, I was thinking someone would notice this and bar me anyway ).
...was than ban or invite you for a drink....:-)
Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

T3 is no where as good as T5...all very rushed and over crowded.....
Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:38 pm
Fronting the Parole Board

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Icecube View Post
T3 is no where as good as T5...all very rushed and over crowded.....
If it means a way of avoiding flying BA I'll take the chaos of T3 anyday

I used to like the old T4, when Qantas flew from there, now THAT was a civilised terminal
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:20 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

>>............... now THAT was a civilised terminal <<

Bit oxymoronic, no?

Last edited by Wol; Oct 26th 2011 at 11:20 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:24 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coincidentally I've just received the terminal changes from BA that are applying from Oct 31st, and Oz looks as if it will stay in T3:

British Airways flights moving from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 - Barcelona (BCN) and Madrid (MAD)

British Airways flights moving from Terminal 5 to Terminal 3
Bucharest (OTP)
Budapest (BUD)
Larnaca (LCA) *
Prague (PRG)
Warsaw (WAW)
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post

I used to like the old T4, when Qantas flew from there, now THAT was a civilised terminal
...with a nice link to a hotel and easy train access.....a-men
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:20 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Last time I was at T4 it was a building site. Have they finished?

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post

Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:33 am
Fronting the Parole Board

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM View Post
Last time I was at T4 it was a building site. Have they finished?
Still closed as far as I know.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 11:32 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas Frequent Flyer

Question for the seasoned QFF members.

We have been saving our QFF points for about 3 years now and have about 260,000 QFF points accumulated. It was my understanding that when redeeming points you still had to pay taxes, which for Qantas are quite high, I believe.

Anyway, my question is, do taxes change throughout the seasons? IE: are taxes during Xmas any higher than they would be right now for instance?

The reason I ask, is because I just went onto the QFF site and looked at some flights. During October, for two adults, it came to $4700 inc taxes, if I opt to do points plus pay, 300k points + $1600 gets me those two tickets. But if I look at flights over Xmas ($5,746), 300k points means I then have to pay $3000. This suggests to me one of two things, either taxes are more expensive during Xmas, or Qantas devalue their points over that period?

Any thoughts from the seasoned bunch on here?
Old Mar 8th 2012, 11:48 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas Frequent Flyer

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders View Post
Question for the seasoned QFF members.

We have been saving our QFF points for about 3 years now and have about 260,000 QFF points accumulated. It was my understanding that when redeeming points you still had to pay taxes, which for Qantas are quite high, I believe.

Anyway, my question is, do taxes change throughout the seasons? IE: are taxes during Xmas any higher than they would be right now for instance?

The reason I ask, is because I just went onto the QFF site and looked at some flights. During October, for two adults, it came to $4700 inc taxes, if I opt to do points plus pay, 300k points + $1600 gets me those two tickets. But if I look at flights over Xmas ($5,746), 300k points means I then have to pay $3000. This suggests to me one of two things, either taxes are more expensive during Xmas, or Qantas devalue their points over that period?

Any thoughts from the seasoned bunch on here?
The taxes are the same throughout the year. What really costs is Qantas' fuel surcharges - they are probably about 2.5 times the real taxes - again they are the same throughout the year.

There are 2 different ways to redeem. One, you look for a classic redemption and if you find it, regardless of the time of the year it will cost you 128k points + taxes + fuel fines. It sounds like you are looking at any seat options where you effectively pay part of the revenue fare with your points...with a maximum number of points you can contribute. So as Xmas flights are much more expensive the cash component is much higher.

The website won't tell you but sometimes an anyseat award can work out at exactly the same cost in miles + total cash as a classic award...but with the ASA you earn miles and status credits. Booking redepmtions on QFF is an absolute nightmare, awful website full of bugs and gotchas.