Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qantas Club - Worth it?

Qantas Club - Worth it?

Old Oct 24th 2011, 8:07 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas Club - Worth it?

Originally Posted by lolcat
Assuming the house sale goes through in the next couple of weeks , we're looking to book flights out of the Uk for 31st December with Qantas.

I'll be signing up for the FF scheme prior to leaving the UK, and I'm considering joining the Qantas Club for the extra baggage allowance.

Is the club membership a worthwhile investment?
I'm guessing it's straightforward to manage FF & Club Memberships online to update my country of residence when we arrive?

Cheers,

>A.
Just before you get the flights booked... and this totally off subject about the qantas club...... found this web site which appears to have good prices and checks all the airlines. www.wego.com

Not sure where in Oz you are heading but did a cost comparison to Sydney and the cheapest was Malaysia Airways at GBP 657.00 (one way) and Qantas came in at number eight at GBP 826.00 (one way)

Did a return ticket and malaysia still one of the cheapest at GBP972.00 and Qantas second at GBP 1,005.00.

One way with Air Asia to Melbourne is GBP 541.00 + food and baggage etc.

Any one seen better prices? Do you think this 'wego' web site is any good?
Cheers
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip
"As the ACA's Choice magazine observes in its latest survey, travellers achieve more overall savings if they just shop around for the best fare [rather than use loyalty schemes]".

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/points-of-contention-20111019-1m7hp.html#ixzz1bgKDFMwu"
There's more to frequent flyer schemes than just the points though.

My backside spends enough time in Qantas seats for me to get a shiny gold card every year. For me the points are an added bonus. I try to keep my flying with Qantas as I appreciate the following:
  • Access to Qantas Pubs so I can get something to eat, drink and have somewhere quiet(ish) when waiting for a flight
  • Getting a seat towards the front of economy so that I can be in front of 200 other people when I'm getting off a plane (comes in very handy at LAX)
  • Having my bags come out quicker (now and again) so that when I arrive in Darwin with 200 other people I'm standing closer to the front of a sweaty 1 hour taxi queue
  • More luggage allowance - handy for US shopping trips

Cheers

LG
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
There's more to frequent flyer schemes than just the points though.

My backside spends enough time in Qantas seats for me to get a shiny gold card every year. For me the points are an added bonus. I try to keep my flying with Qantas as I appreciate the following:
  • Access to Qantas Pubs so I can get something to eat, drink and have somewhere quiet(ish) when waiting for a flight
  • Getting a seat towards the front of economy so that I can be in front of 200 other people when I'm getting off a plane (comes in very handy at LAX)
  • Having my bags come out quicker (now and again) so that when I arrive in Darwin with 200 other people I'm standing closer to the front of a sweaty 1 hour taxi queue
  • More luggage allowance - handy for US shopping trips

Cheers

LG
Very true, and its because of the bonuses like these that I stick to flying Qantas and accumulating their points. They may not always have perfect service, but generally you know what you're going to get. No hidden extras like paying for sandwiches, or bringing your own drink, no ending up with very cramped seating, and no complicated route planning. If others are happy to do all this for a trip, then thats fine, its up to them, but for me I want to get on the plane and get home with as few changes, hitches and arguments as possible
Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:28 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

For personal flights I will go with Sia, Malaysian, QF ba depending on who is cheapest. Normally QF is pricier. I do not fly enough for work to go gold but QF have always treated me well. If Virgin improve the seats and cleanliness I would fly with them.

Another fun part is getting around work policy to fly QF. The club is worth it if you fly domestically a lot but will not go gold.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

You've managed to get Internet access in a Qantas pub? Where??? I've been unable to connect in Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne or Brisbane for most of this year - the 'service' is massively under-resourced. Funnily enough, the Qantas paid service ($5 a go) worked perfectly in Sydney the other week...

For those following this thread, don't bother looking for a price for life Qantas Pub membership - they stopped it a while ago.

Cheers

LG

I've always been able to get onto the free wifi in the Qantas lounges! Brissy, Townsville Sydney, Melb. I just use my iphone and it logs into it no problem.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:55 pm
Degenerate

lolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's been very helpful.
I'll give membership a go for a year, as we've planned a few trips back for weddings etc. over the course of 2012.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolcat
Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's been very helpful.
I'll give membership a go for a year, as we've planned a few trips back for weddings etc. over the course of 2012.
Be aware that if you have any flights leaving T5 at heathrow, you won't be able to use your Qantas club membership to get into the lounges there.

Cheers

LG
Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that if you have any flights leaving T5 at heathrow, you won't be able to use your Qantas club membership to get into the lounges there.

Cheers

LG
Thats true. They need to be Qantas sectors (T3) not BA sectors (T5), don't they?
Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:37 pm
Degenerate

lolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant future

Cheers for the heads-up on that!
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats true. They need to be Qantas sectors (T3) not BA sectors (T5), don't they?
Pretty much, yes.

Qantas Club membership gets you into BA Terraces lounges. All of their new lounges (and refitted ones) are Galleries lounges.

There's a big long thread about it over at Australian Frequent Flyer. I'm too lazy to copy/paste here, so apologies for the link if it's not allowed.

Cheers

LG
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:28 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
BA Australian flights are still using T3 - a real slum. One of the problems of getting in bed with other airlines I expect - T5 has filled up with others.

Question: if you join Qantas club can you use the lounge when flying with ,say, BA?
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

As pointed out why would you fly Qantas when Emerites will give a bigger allowance as standard. I fly a "reasonable" amount - live in Oz but work in Africa and avoid them at all costs.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wol
BA Australian flights are still using T3 - a real slum. One of the problems of getting in bed with other airlines I expect - T5 has filled up with others.

Question: if you join Qantas club can you use the lounge when flying with ,say, BA?
The 'official' line is that unless you're on a Qantas flight (Qantas plane, not codeshare) you can't use BA lounges at heathrow with your Qantas Club card.

Cheers

LG
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

Really? BA flights to Aus are in T3? I am flying back BA first class next year and was looking forward to the Concorde lounge but that is T5.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 6:17 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Really? BA flights to Aus are in T3? I am flying back BA first class next year and was looking forward to the Concorde lounge but that is T5.
Well, we have gone through T3 on BA between Oz and the UK half a dozen times this last year, and are due to do so again twice next month - just checked. They may of course change to T5 by the time you go otherwise brace yourself!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.