Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qantas - can we get extra luggage allowance?

Qantas - can we get extra luggage allowance?

Old Nov 14th 2009, 7:56 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Qantas - can we get extra luggage allowance?

Hi, this has probably been asked before but I couldn't find it on a search. Anyhoo, can we get extra luggage allowance with Qantas as we'll be emigrating, and thus flying one way from the UK? I've heard it's only 30kg...is this true?! If not, how do you get the extra luggage allowance?

Also, the OH's brother lives in Australia already and suggested we get a Qantas Frequent Flyer card before we fly, how do you go about getting these?
Old Nov 14th 2009, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas - can we get extra luggage allowance?

Here is a link.

https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyns/joinff

Blimey you have to pay to join this one if you are Aus / NZ resident. So 'tis worth doing it before you go on your Irish credentials.

I think I might do the same.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 8:05 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Here is a link.

Blimey you have to pay to join this one if you are Aus / NZ resident. So 'tis worth doing it before you go on your Irish credentials.

Fankoo chickster!
Old Nov 14th 2009, 8:11 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Trying to sign up now but it won't work when I click submit, I'm confuzzled?!
Old Nov 14th 2009, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Trying to sign up now but it won't work when I click submit, I'm confuzzled?!
Umm don't know. It is working fine over here.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is of any help. I have just booked our tickets to OZ and found that booking our tickets with TrailFinders worked out cheaper that booking with the airline direct (by almost £100 in my case)

They also showed me a list sent to them by the airlines that showed every majour airline does give 40KG of baggage allowance per person on an unvalidated one way ticket

TrailFinders have been brilliant and I would highly recommend them to everyone - they were even cheaper than STA Travel!
Old Nov 14th 2009, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chelly77
Hi Guys,

They also showed me a list sent to them by the airlines that showed every majour airline does give 40KG of baggage allowance per person on an unvalidated one way ticket
What is an unvalidated ticket?
Old Nov 14th 2009, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all

Sorry that's my mistake. trying totalk to a customer and write a post at the same time

That should have said an unvalidated visa - one that hasent been activated yet - if that's the right word to use?
Old Nov 15th 2009, 2:59 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, this has probably been asked before but I couldn't find it on a search. Anyhoo, can we get extra luggage allowance with Qantas as we'll be emigrating, and thus flying one way from the UK? I've heard it's only 30kg...is this true?! If not, how do you get the extra luggage allowance?
Consider going via Air New Zealand and LAX. That way you get two 'pieces of luggage' up to a maximum of 46kg. Its a longer flight, and slightly more expensive than the usual Asia routes, but getting the one way Qantas ticket is also more expensive.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 3:37 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by GarryP
Consider going via Air New Zealand and LAX. That way you get two 'pieces of luggage' up to a maximum of 46kg. Its a longer flight, and slightly more expensive than the usual Asia routes, but getting the one way Qantas ticket is also more expensive.
We don't have any choice in which airline we use as the OH's employer pays for the flights...but thanks for the advice nonetheless!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

H2fusion is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, the OH's brother lives in Australia already and suggested we get a Qantas Frequent Flyer card before we fly, how do you go about getting these?

I contacted IOM ( stated from my Grant letter) and they gave me a quote. By getting a one way ticket from them, I will be able to bring 4 luggages. You can email them at [email protected].
I will be flying Qantas.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

H2fusion is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a link.

I signed up for this online from the US but I never paid any fee at all ( free). I got my Qantas frequent flier card.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 1:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by H2fusion
I signed up for this online from the US but I never paid any fee at all ( free). I got my Qantas frequent flier card.
They only charge you if you have an Aus or NZ address...quite bizarre, I don't know of any other FFP that charges a joining fee.

Jen am I right in thinking you are going business class and get 30kg anyway?

As far as I know there is no right to extra baggage allowance on Qantas...some have got it, others have been quoted the migrant fare, which essentially seems to equal the base economy fare + the excess charges anyway! If there was a right to a free allowance they wouldn't have a migrant fare!

The only airlines which seems to have a consistent policy re free excess baggage allowance for certain types of unvalidated visa holders are Singapore Airlines...and Emirates using the promotional UKMOVE code. With the rest it's very hit or miss, more often miss.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 3:04 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly though Virgin Atlantic are, from the 25th November, moving to a piece system. 1 bag 23kg for economy, 2 bags for premium and 3 for upper class.

A very interesting option for anyone coming into SYD.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 3:44 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link.

Or if you're already here, you can get a Woolworth's Reward Card and connect it to a free Frequent Flyer Membership

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.