Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Q question about the Grand Prix in Melbourne

Q question about the Grand Prix in Melbourne

Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of
Default Q question about the Grand Prix in Melbourne

My mum and Dad are coming over in March to visit us and my Dad wants to go to the grand prix. Bearing in mind my Dad is in a wheelchair would it be possible to view the race buying a General admission ticket or would we need Grandstand tickets?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Q question about the Grand Prix in Melbourne

Originally Posted by gidxg03
My mum and Dad are coming over in March to visit us and my Dad wants to go to the grand prix. Bearing in mind my Dad is in a wheelchair would it be possible to view the race buying a General admission ticket or would we need Grandstand tickets?

Thanks in advance.
You should be able to go on general admission tickets - they have areas for disabled viewing, and you can also watch from numerous spots round the track on the mounds, esp on the golfcourse/Princes Highway side of the track. For comfort, go for grandstand but then you've got the problem of getting in and out of the chair as most grandstands don't have ramps.

If you have a look on http://www.grandprix.com.au/default.aspx?s=disability that should give you some more info, but I'm sure you can do it on general admission.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 17th 2007 at 7:59 am.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You should be able to go on general admission tickets - they have areas for disabled viewing, and you can also watch from numerous spots round the track on the mounds, esp on the golfcourse/Princes Highway side of the track. For comfort, go for grandstand but then you've got the problem of getting in and out of the chair as most grandstands don't have ramps.

If you have a look on www.grandprix.com.au there is almost certainly an info address that you can email, but I'm sure you can do it on general admission.
Thanks for the info and advice
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

When Adelaide had the F1 I was in a wheelchair. The Adelaide course was different from the Melbourne one (quite obviously) but I couldn't use the grandstand.So my wheelchair was parked by the fence..and whooooosh!!!!!!! all the cars passed by in a blur ...I still thoroughly enjoyed it though
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:23 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
When Adelaide had the F1 I was in a wheelchair. The Adelaide course was different from the Melbourne one (quite obviously) but I couldn't use the grandstand.So my wheelchair was parked by the fence..and whooooosh!!!!!!! all the cars passed by in a blur ...I still thoroughly enjoyed it though
Things have changed in the years since, as tracks are now required to have dedicated areas for wheelchairs etc.
The cars still go whoosh even if you are standing up. As a flag marshal, I find they give you only a fraction of a second to make a decision on closing speeds, car identification etc.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:28 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

gidxg03, see attached map for best wheelchair viewing areas.
Attached Thumbnails Q question about the Grand Prix in Melbourne-00000070-image.gif  
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

good views when i was there
Attached Thumbnails Q question about the Grand Prix in Melbourne-s4300428.jpg   Q question about the Grand Prix in Melbourne-s4300427.jpg