Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Q for the ex PR's in Aus -Citizenship

Q for the ex PR's in Aus -Citizenship

Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:12 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Question Q for the ex PR's in Aus -Citizenship

A question for the ex PR's here who have taken out citizenship.

I'm currently in the process of filling out the forms (getting myself organised before I leave this "wonderful" country ) . The forms are simple enough.

What I would like to ask is from the time you submitted the forms from the time you got your citizenship, how long did it actually take to be accepted? I know it says 30 days.. but as a general rule was this the case or was it less? And also, about the ceremony, when you were accepted how long did you have to wait for the ceremony. On the forms they don't give you a time frame, it just says it alters from area to area. I'm wondering what's the general waiting time , a month, two months, 6 months?

Another question - what do they actually ask you in the interview? .

Cheers
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:18 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Q for the ex PR's in Aus -Citizenship

Originally posted by Ceri
A question for the ex PR's here who have taken out citizenship.

I'm currently in the process of filling out the forms (getting myself organised before I leave this "wonderful" country ) . The forms are simple enough.

What I would like to ask is from the time you submitted the forms from the time you got your citizenship, how long did it actually take to be accepted? I know it says 30 days.. but as a general rule was this the case or was it less? And also, about the ceremony, when you were accepted how long did you have to wait for the ceremony. On the forms they don't give you a time frame, it just says it alters from area to area. I'm wondering what's the general waiting time , a month, two months, 6 months?

Another question - what do they actually ask you in the interview? .

Cheers
You can apply on line now. Not sure what documentation is required but it might be quicker. Just go to www.immi.gov.au and click on the e - visa services.

There is also an on line residence calculator. RRVs can also be applied for there but citizenship seems a better option for pratical reasons.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:29 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by bondipom
You can apply on line now. Not sure what documentation is required but it might be quicker. Just go to www.immi.gov.au and click on the e - visa services.

There is also an on line residence calculator. RRVs can also be applied for there but citizenship seems a better option for pratical reasons.
Been there .. done it - well nearly, I've got "hubby's" to do as well next.
Just wondering how long it takes for the ceremony etc, and what questions do they ask you in the interview.
My biggest prob will be trying not to laugh when I swear an oath.. still deciding whether to keep,or drop the 'God" bit? ( I'm an atheist)

cheers
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:47 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
Been there .. done it - well nearly, I've got "hubby's" to do as well next.
Just wondering how long it takes for the ceremony etc, and what questions do they ask you in the interview.
My biggest prob will be trying not to laugh when I swear an oath.. still deciding whether to keep,or drop the 'God" bit? ( I'm an atheist)

cheers
You could do a Tony Banks and cross your fingers at the time. I wonder if he realised cameras would be on him at the time?
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:55 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by bondipom
You could do a Tony Banks and cross your fingers at the time. I wonder if he realised cameras would be on him at the time?
lol
well that is my dilemma too. Seeing as I'm an atheist (actually I'm a pagan) I think I should keep the God bit... so the oath means nothing.
You have a choice on the forms whether to drop the word. But - "me ol' mum and grannie" would have a fit with me... I've been brought up to never tell a lie on the bible/god ... they are religious.. that has been ingrained in me (brainwashed!) enough not to do it.. or I'll be struck down by lightning .

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 21st 2003 at 12:57 am.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

Hi Ceri,

The citizenship 'thing' is very easy.

We were told it would take about 2 months from lodging the application to the swearing in ceremony. In reality, if my memory is correct, it went something like this:

1) Filled in forms at home
2) Arranged interview (took about 1 week) and lodged application in person in Ann Street, Brisbane at the same time. It was very relaxed - he asked us questions about the details we had put in the application form, just to confirm what we had wrote. He didn't ask us about the priveledges and responsibilities, but did ask us to nominate the pledge we wanted to use. After the official questions, he made a few very lame jokes, and told us the next ceremony would in 5 weeks time. We couldn't make that one (close to the delivery date of 2nd child), and so had to arrange to go to the following ceremony which was further 3 months on. So if we hadn't delayed it would have taken about 6 weeks - but for us it was about 4 months - start to finish.
3) About 3 weeks later after the interview we got the official letter that the decision had been positive and that we would be attending the (2nd ceremony).

The ceremony in the Bris City Hall was a typical civic affair - a few stirring stories from new citizens about what made them want to become Australians - a few *yawn* speeches from a local and federal politician about how wondeful it was to be an Australian - and then we all got up and said the pledge of commitment and was given the certificate of citizenship (handed to us in our seats). It was refreshinly very multicultural too. Afterwards chatted to fellow immos - popped around the corner for cofee, then a couple of drinks.

Altogether a very, very painless deal.

The paperwork was the hardest bit.

Good luck,
AndyH.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 3:12 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by jah4reds
Hi Ceri,

The citizenship 'thing' is very easy.

We were told it would take about 2 months from lodging the application to the swearing in ceremony. In reality, if my memory is correct, it went something like this:

1) Filled in forms at home
2) Arranged interview (took about 1 week) and lodged application in person in Ann Street, Brisbane at the same time. It was very relaxed - he asked us questions about the details we had put in the application form, just to confirm what we had wrote. He didn't ask us about the priveledges and responsibilities, but did ask us to nominate the pledge we wanted to use. After the official questions, he made a few very lame jokes, and told us the next ceremony would in 5 weeks time. We couldn't make that one (close to the delivery date of 2nd child), and so had to arrange to go to the following ceremony which was further 3 months on. So if we hadn't delayed it would have taken about 6 weeks - but for us it was about 4 months - start to finish.
3) About 3 weeks later after the interview we got the official letter that the decision had been positive and that we would be attending the (2nd ceremony).

The ceremony in the Bris City Hall was a typical civic affair - a few stirring stories from new citizens about what made them want to become Australians - a few *yawn* speeches from a local and federal politician about how wondeful it was to be an Australian - and then we all got up and said the pledge of commitment and was given the certificate of citizenship (handed to us in our seats). It was refreshinly very multicultural too. Afterwards chatted to fellow immos - popped around the corner for cofee, then a couple of drinks.

Altogether a very, very painless deal.

The paperwork was the hardest bit.

Good luck,
AndyH.
Thanks so much Andy.

I was scared that I'd have to pledge my undying love to Aus whilst on my knees.lol

The forms are pretty much straight forward, I was just wondering what would happen next, but you have answered my questions on that - thank you

Cheers
Old Nov 21st 2003, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

We applied on Feb 10th 1993 - 2 years to the day since we arrived here - NO interview at all - ceremony was on 19th May 1993 - the first day available in our local council area. 100's of others there all doing the same thing - taken up to front in groups of about 10 to do the swearing bit - all sang the national anthem - then drinks with the mayor. If you want to do it on Australia Day which a lot of new Aussies do - then apply asap!