British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Q about timing of it all... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/q-about-timing-all-311495/)

bridiej Jul 1st 2005 8:48 am

Q about timing of it all...

As most of you know, the medicals are now en route to Syndey (not requested yet though!) and we're thinking about putting the house on the market in 3 weeks time.

Just wondered what anyone's thoughts are.... is there anything that could trip us up as far as the visa is concerned now that the meds are done and all OK?

How long do you think it will take once the meds have arrived to get the visa - we lodged our application 6th April?

Guess I'm just worried that we'll end up with no home and no visa granted yet, especially as the cost of rentals around here is astronomical! :(

hevs Jul 1st 2005 9:54 am

Re: Q about timing of it all...

I wished we'd have done that, we didn't and waited ages to sell the house :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that once the meds and police checks are passed its just a matter of a few weeks till you get the paper through:)

fizzbot5 Jul 1st 2005 9:58 am

:) Yup know what you mean.We were in the same position at the begining of the year waiting for our medicals results. But decided to put the house on the market to test the water anyhow. The problem was that that what happened is exactly what you fear - we sold after 1 viewing.Totally unexpected as we hadn't had the medicals back.But we decided to go ahead as we could always pull out at the last minute if the medicals were negative - this way we had a buyer.But Rentals especially 4 beds which we needed are few and far between here especially as we didn't need one for the usual 6 months.So somebody suggested asking Estate Agents for details of propeties on their books which were proving difficult to sell and might consider renting to us for a few months to cover their mortgage repayments whilst still showing potential buyers around (not that there has been any!!).This we did. Have to say, touch wood, it has all worked out ok and taking this risk remember you can always pull out at any time so you haven't lost anything really except time on viewings.
It took us approx 6 weeks after we had the medicals back to get the Visa's so even if you did sell pretty quick it is highly unlikely the sale would go through that quick and you could always use delaying tactics.
With the housing market the way it is I would definately put it up for sale now worked for us.
Hope this helps
Fiona

bridiej Jul 1st 2005 10:01 am

That's a really good idea Fiona......!

Thanks for your replies, guess I am still being a bit pessimistic but until that visa is in the passport dont want to take anything for granted!

possoms Jul 1st 2005 10:05 am

Originally Posted by bridiej
As most of you know, the medicals are now en route to Syndey (not requested yet though!) and we're thinking about putting the house on the market in 3 weeks time.

Just wondered what anyone's thoughts are.... is there anything that could trip us up as far as the visa is concerned now that the meds are done and all OK?

How long do you think it will take once the meds have arrived to get the visa - we lodged our application 6th April?

Guess I'm just worried that we'll end up with no home and no visa granted yet, especially as the cost of rentals around here is astronomical! :(

Bridie are houses selling in your area? seems to have come to a standstill here.

as you know I had an email from agent saying visa should be granted 6-8 weeks after meds/pc received (providing no additional info required)

also got a mail from Tas gov this morning saying visa should be granted 4-6 weeks after receipt of meds??

Kay :)

bridiej Jul 1st 2005 10:07 am

Originally Posted by possoms
Bridie are houses selling in your area? seems to have come to a standstill here.

as you know I had an email from agent saying visa should be granted 6-8 weeks after meds/pc received (providing no additional info required)

also got a mail from Tas gov this morning saying visa should be granted 4-6 weeks after receipt of meds??

Kay :)

hi Kay, yes, they are selling but at the right price! So we'll be pricing ours realistically, unlike a lot of our neighbours who are stuck at silly prices therefore stuck on the market!

One big thing in our favour is two doors up they have the same basic house except they've made two double bedrooms into three small ones and got a conservatory and they're on at £205K which is ridiculous, but ours will be £165K so hoping people see the potential in ours!

Decisions, decisions........ I guess if we go on the market in 3 weeks the meds will have been there two weeks (but they werent requested yet!) so maybe get visa in another 6 weeks after that, what do you reckon?

fraser Jul 1st 2005 10:10 am

(

You sent them to Syndey :p Where's that :confused:

bridiej Jul 1st 2005 10:11 am

Originally Posted by fraser
You sent them toSyndey :p

Ha ha, very funny! yes, our agent gave us the Syndey address! :rolleyes: ;) :D

Sorry, see your point, wasnt quite awake I dont think! :rolleyes:

fizzbot5 Jul 1st 2005 10:16 am

I would take your chances and put it on now like I said if you get lucky you can still string it out............bear in mind also if they are part of a chain that can cause many problems in of itself.

Good Luck anyhow

Fiona

Rooksie Jul 1st 2005 10:22 am

Put it on NOW!!!! Fraser sold his to first viewer and he got REALLY lucky but then it still took a couple of months (i think - sure he will correct me!!). So at best mate even if you put it on today it is going to be at LEAST 2 months before you are booted on to the street and you will have your visas by then surely!! :D

bridiej Jul 1st 2005 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Rooksie
Put it on NOW!!!! Fraser sold his to first viewer and he got REALLY lucky but then it still took a couple of months (i think - sure he will correct me!!). So at best mate even if you put it on today it is going to be at LEAST 2 months before you are booted on to the street and you will have your visas by then surely!! :D

OK, but if we end up selling and having nowhere to live we'll be on your doorstep with our suitcases! :D

Rooksie Jul 1st 2005 10:30 am

OK, but if we end up selling and having nowhere to live we'll be on your doorstep with our suitcases! :D

Great!!!!! :D :D - i got room for 4 more if anyone else interested!?!?! :D :D

bridiej Jul 1st 2005 10:31 am

Great!!!!! :D :D - i got room for 4 more if anyone else interested!?!?! :D :D

LOL! :D

I will be expecting to see herds of Wildebeest though from my bedroom window.......!

Rooksie Jul 1st 2005 10:32 am

LOL! :D

I will be expecting to see herds of Wildebeest though from my bedroom window.......!

WHAT??????

bridiej Jul 1st 2005 10:34 am

WHAT??????

And if you could fix us up a screwdriver and a Waldorf salad for our arrival! :D