Pyrmont, Sydney

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

jpen29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pyrmont, Sydney

Hi Guys. I just got a job offer to work in Pyrmont, Sydney. The company will provide me with free housing accommodation, also within that area.

I;ve never been to Australia so id like to know if you have got something good and/or bad to say about working and living in Pyrmont. Your inputs are highly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Bidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really nice
Default Re: Pyrmont, Sydney

Originally Posted by jpen29
Hi Guys. I just got a job offer to work in Pyrmont, Sydney. The company will provide me with free housing accommodation, also within that area.

I;ve never been to Australia so id like to know if you have got something good and/or bad to say about working and living in Pyrmont. Your inputs are highly appreciated. Thanks!
Hi, we've been living in Pyrmont since 2006. Its very close to the CBD - depending on where in Pyrmont, you could walk there in fifteen minutes. There are a few nice pubs, restaurants and lots of nice and relatively new apartments down one side of it. The other side is more terraces and older buildings. There is a main strip along part of Harris St (the main st through the area) with a dvd store, laundrette, internet cafe, newsagent, etc and there are two supermarkets at the moment - Coles & Supa IGA.

It's close to Darling Harbour which has lots of pubs and restaurants and is usually buzzing at the weekends. There are two bus routes that service the area (well three if you count the prepay express that leaves from around Jones Bay Wharf area) - the 443 to the city (it's quick if you need to get to Circular Quay or Town Hall, etc) and the 501 which goes via Central Station. There is also a light rail servicing the area and there is a monorail stop not too far away either. Hope that helps! Any questions, just let me know and if I can help I will!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:16 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bidd
Hi, we've been living in Pyrmont since 2006. Its very close to the CBD - depending on where in Pyrmont, you could walk there in fifteen minutes. There are a few nice pubs, restaurants and lots of nice and relatively new apartments down one side of it. The other side is more terraces and older buildings. There is a main strip along part of Harris St (the main st through the area) with a dvd store, laundrette, internet cafe, newsagent, etc and there are two supermarkets at the moment - Coles & Supa IGA.

It's close to Darling Harbour which has lots of pubs and restaurants and is usually buzzing at the weekends. There are two bus routes that service the area (well three if you count the prepay express that leaves from around Jones Bay Wharf area) - the 443 to the city (it's quick if you need to get to Circular Quay or Town Hall, etc) and the 501 which goes via Central Station. There is also a light rail servicing the area and there is a monorail stop not too far away either. Hope that helps! Any questions, just let me know and if I can help I will!
I liked the idea of Pyrmont when we first moved over, for Darling Harbour, transport etc but when I looked at it...boy...just think of Wapping!!! Didn't do it for me!!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Bidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really nice

Originally Posted by paddyo
I liked the idea of Pyrmont when we first moved over, for Darling Harbour, transport etc but when I looked at it...boy...just think of Wapping!!! Didn't do it for me!!
Eh sorry, Wapping ref is lost on me...

I'm from Ireland
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:30 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Eh sorry, Wapping ref is lost on me...

I'm from Ireland
No worries, Wapping is an ex dockside quarter made good, a mix of old style terrace dockers houses and new apartment blocks in a warehouse style! Pyrmont looks just like that. Also, on a personal level it wasn't very family friendly enough for me.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

No worries, Wapping is an ex dockside quarter made good, a mix of old style terrace dockers houses and new apartment blocks in a warehouse style! Pyrmont looks just like that. Also, on a personal level it wasn't very family friendly enough for me.
Ah I get you now! Yep it is very like that, true. My oh worked in Ultimo when we first moved here so it was very convenient to just wander down the road in the morning. He's in the city now and much as we like it here we're looking to rent somewhere bigger than a quite small 1 bed apt - we'll most likely move out a little further. We've been doing a bit of hunting on the weekends but haven't decided on somewhere yet...
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:48 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Ah I get you now! Yep it is very like that, true. My oh worked in Ultimo when we first moved here so it was very convenient to just wander down the road in the morning. He's in the city now and much as we like it here we're looking to rent somewhere bigger than a quite small 1 bed apt - we'll most likely move out a little further. We've been doing a bit of hunting on the weekends but haven't decided on somewhere yet...
Wellllllll.......Manly is cracking!! Watched the Australia v Ireland match there last weekend and it was mobbed with us form 'the old country'!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Wellllllll.......Manly is cracking!! Watched the Australia v Ireland match there last weekend and it was mobbed with us form 'the old country'!!!
Are you another one?? We're everywhere!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:56 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Are you another one?? We're everywhere!
Born in Limerick, brought up in London
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Born in Limerick, brought up in London
Hence the Paddyo user name??
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:02 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Hence the Paddyo user name??
Yep!!

Paddy for Patrick and O for ...well.....you can guess its an O'C
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:35 pm
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

You'll be right in Pyrmont mate, do it.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:34 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

My experience of the place is driving round it for 15 minutes last Saturday night, looking for a parking space (and eating at Sugaroom, 1 Harris St - very nice ). Not much going on, looks like a work-in-progress, but I did like the look of the newish terraced houses and my Aussie friend said it's a very up-and-coming place.

As a female I wouldn't wander round it alone at night but then I think the same of much of Sydney. (Singapore spoils you in that respect.)
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

jpen29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seasider
My experience of the place is driving round it for 15 minutes last Saturday night, looking for a parking space (and eating at Sugaroom, 1 Harris St - very nice ). Not much going on, looks like a work-in-progress, but I did like the look of the newish terraced houses and my Aussie friend said it's a very up-and-coming place.

As a female I wouldn't wander round it alone at night but then I think the same of much of Sydney. (Singapore spoils you in that respect.)
Could you please elaborate why you wouldnt wander around it alone at night? Does Pyrmont have a high crime rate compared to other Sydney suburbs? Thanks
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:55 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't think so (and certainly not compared to the Wild Wild West) but - and as I said I only visited very briefly the other night - it seemed a bit isolated to me. I'm sure it looks way more friendly in daylight.

(My opinion is skewed by being in a very small, safe country for the past 6 years; I'm taking some getting used to having to think about personal safety in Sydney as a whole as I'm used to being able to wander the streets at all hours of the night. If I'd come straight from the UK I'd hardly think about it.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.