Pymble

Old Jan 2nd 2003, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

cocopops4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pymble

Could someone give me an idea of how far out of Sydney Pymble is and what it is like as a place?

I am moving to Sydney in September (fingers crossed) and was hoping to live around Bondi area but I have found my company has a fantastic office in Pymble which I see from a map is a little way out...but since I don't know the area at all I can't get any perspective on how far out it is.

Thanks a lot
Claire
Old Jan 2nd 2003, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

tanderra will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pymble

If you use the site below, it will give you the distance between the two places.

http://www.whereis.com.au/

Pymble is a nice little town, I lived in Wahroonga which is close to Pymble. However I wouldn't recommend working in Pymble and living in bondi. Bondi is one one side of Sydney, Pymble the Other. (40 minutes away from each other)

Hope this helps
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Hi

We live in Castle Hill (been here for 9 months) and I think Pymble is about 20km North/west from the City. I've driven through it (I had some dental work done there, very nice dentist!) a couple of times on my way to the city on the Pacific Highway. Pymble is an older type of suburb, very leafy with lots of quiet culdesacs but not far from it all. Mainly single level houses with the odd two storey where someone has demolished and rebuilt. There is a rail station there too. Bondi on the other hand is quite busy and not really my 'cup of tea', I like the quiet life!! Don't know much about Bondi but have driven through it. I have always thought that the North/west of Sydney was nicer than than the South but then every one has different opinions. Feel free to email me if you want

good luck

Mandy
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 9:54 am
Just Joined

cocopops4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help. I was thinking I would be working in the centre of Sydney and Bondi sounded nice. I have been living in London for the last couple of years so I think moving somewhere quiet would be a bit of a shock. I am only only 23 and have no kids etc.

What I haven't really got an idea of is how far 'Sydney' stretches as in is Pymble somewhere on it's own or part of Sydney?

Like Richmond is part of London but Esher, Weybridge, Woking etc are not counted as part of London...

I have seen Manly is quite near Pymble too and I have heard that there is very nice and quite lively... correct?

Thanks for any help!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Hi again

Yep manly is very nice, went there with the kids a few times and seems to be a 'happening' place (we are going there again soon as there is a direct bus from here). All I can say is the areas around Sydney are very much similar to London, they seem to blend into one another! Just not as big or populated. On the other hand compared to London, well you can't compare Sydney to London! Sydney is small in comparison BUT there is plenty to do and is much nicer (I have just spent the day there today!). We used to live in Upminster, Essex which was classed as an Outer suburb of London but it would have taken me about 2 hours to get to London, even though it was only about 12 miles out!! Here we are about the same distance and it takes about 35 mins to get to Sydney centre! My hubby works in Sydney and he gets the city bus which stops outside our door and goes straight to the city and takes about 40mins to get to the centre of Sydney (he gets the 7am bus). He gets the same bus on the way home which takes about an hour 20min (he gets the 7pm). Although today (its holiday season) it took us about 35 mins to get home at 6.30pm!! Parking in Sydney is good if you find the right places. We found a good multi storey in China Town (haymarket) which charges $10 for the day! We always park here and its not far from the mono rail which will take you round the city centre.

Anyway, I've rambled enough!

Mandy
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 9:15 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I live in St Ives (just up the road from Pymble) - and work in Chatswood. Pymble is where I get the train to and fro. There is an excellent train link on the North Shore. So at 23 you could consider living in the city and working in Pymble. I have a lot of work mates who live South Sydney and commute into work on the trains, depends on how much you mind commuting. If you are thinking of renting a flat, maybe look at North Sydney (expensive but fun). Follow the train line out on any of the website recommended here. From Chatswood on you are into suburbia (spelling?) family housing mostly green and quite quiet.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Oh - Train fares are reasonable, driving to and from work from South of the Harbour adds $6.50 in tolls per day if you use Bridge or Tunnel.

Cheers
Old Jan 6th 2003, 12:03 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by cocopops4
Thanks for your help. I was thinking I would be working in the centre of Sydney and Bondi sounded nice. I have been living in London for the last couple of years so I think moving somewhere quiet would be a bit of a shock. I am only only 23 and have no kids etc.

What I haven't really got an idea of is how far 'Sydney' stretches as in is Pymble somewhere on it's own or part of Sydney?

Like Richmond is part of London but Esher, Weybridge, Woking etc are not counted as part of London...

I have seen Manly is quite near Pymble too and I have heard that there is very nice and quite lively... correct?

Thanks for any help!!!
We live in North Sydney, which is pretty good but very quiet at weekends (which being 10 years older than you we like!).
We looked at Pymble but its VERY expensive (houses cost $1m+ to buy) and pretty dull kind of a place to live. A lot of the young free and singles in my office live in Balmain, which they tell me is a great/lively place with good coffee shops, bars etc and just 10 minutes to the city. If you have to work in Pymble then consider Milsons Point or Kirribilli as they are close the harbour bridge, have some good bars, coffee shops and restaurants, you can walk to the city and the bus ride or train ride to Pymble will be quite short. Manly is nice but getting out of the place can be an issue - the road from Manly to Pymble would be hell in the morning and probably an hour on a bus each way.
Old Jan 6th 2003, 12:08 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by cocopops4

Thanks for any help!!!
I forgot to mention - I am told that the geographic area of Sydney is about the same as London. So suburbs within 'Sydney' can be over an hour from the city centre.