Puzzler?????

Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:13 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough
Default Puzzler?????

3 men have a meal in a resturant, the bill comes to £30.
They each pay £10.

The waiter goes to the till and realises they have been over charged, the meal was only £25.

So the waiter takes out £5, puts £2 in his pocket and gives back the men a pound each.

With me so far?

So the men each paid £9, thats £27 in total.
The waiter had £2.

Where's the other pound?
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:25 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Puzzler?????

Buggered if i know
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:27 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I cant concentrate on this, I keep laughing at your avator!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Buggered if i know
What she said
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:34 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by pompeywill
They each pay £10.

The waiter goes to the till and realises they have been over charged, the meal was only £25.

So the waiter takes out £5, puts £2 in his pocket and gives back the men a pound each.

With me so far?

The waiter had £2.

Where's the other pound?

Had me and the missus sat here scratching our head for the last 10 minutes.....put us out of our misery peerrrleeease!
Ya Git!!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:34 am
Bit more than Jnr. Member

alneve2oz is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Puzzler?????

Okay, so there were thirty pounds in cash originally received by the waiter. At the end of the transaction, the total amount of cash in the "system" (25 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 1) still adds up to thirty, so there is no missing pound. In other words, all the different chunks of money add up to the original total of thirty pounds.

The fallacious missing pound creeps in when you start adding up the same money more than once.

In the story, it says that "So the men each paid £9, thats £27 in total. The waiter had £2"

However, the two pounds that the waiter has kept is part of the 27 pounds the guys have paid - it is not different money, so it can't be added to the guys' 27 pounds. You're counting it twice.

The fact that this meaningless value adds up to one less than thirty, which causes the "missing pound", is pure coincidence. If the guys had overpaid by fifteen pounds rather than five, and the waiter had still kept two pounds, then by this argument you would now have eleven missing pounds:

The guys' bill comes to 40 pounds
Waiter takes 15 pounds back
and keeps 2 pounds, gives the guys 13

Net result: The guys have paid 27 pounds, waiter keeps 2, sum 29.
Where's the other 11?

In other words, by choosing the numbers properly, you can make arbitrary amounts of money "go missing", because the underlying line of reasoning is completely wrong.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

They each pay £10.

With me so far?

The waiter had £2.

Where's the other pound?

£25 divided by 3 = they each paid £8.33
given back a pound = they each paid £9.33
£9.33 x 3 = £28
plus the waiters £2 = £30!!!

ok so I'm a smart a***
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:37 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alneve2oz
Okay, so there were thirty pounds in cash originally received by the waiter. At the end of the transaction, the total amount of cash in the "system" (25 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 1) still adds up to thirty, so there is no missing pound. In other words, all the different chunks of money add up to the original total of thirty pounds.

The fallacious missing pound creeps in when you start adding up the same money more than once.

In the story, it says that "So the men each paid £9, thats £27 in total. The waiter had £2"

However, the two pounds that the waiter has kept is part of the 27 pounds the guys have paid - it is not different money, so it can't be added to the guys' 27 pounds. You're counting it twice.

The fact that this meaningless value adds up to one less than thirty, which causes the "missing pound", is pure coincidence. If the guys had overpaid by fifteen pounds rather than five, and the waiter had still kept two pounds, then by this argument you would now have eleven missing pounds:

The guys' bill comes to 40 pounds
Waiter takes 15 pounds back
and keeps 2 pounds, gives the guys 13

Net result: The guys have paid 27 pounds, waiter keeps 2, sum 29.
Where's the other 11?

In other words, by choosing the numbers properly, you can make arbitrary amounts of money "go missing", because the underlying line of reasoning is completely wrong.
Smart arse
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:38 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

They each pay £10.

With me so far?

The waiter had £2.

Where's the other pound?
Its the way you tell them!

If you actually said the men paid 30 had 3 refunded - total 27, the fact the waiter had change from 5 in his pocket has nothing to do with it.

Cheers
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:40 am

Sorry, that was a rather convoluted (if eloquent and loquatious) answer. Simply put:

It cost 25 quid + 2 quid tip = 27
They paid 30 quid
They got 3 quid back

i.e. There's a difference between money in your pocket, and hypothetical money in sums.

AJ.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:08 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

and another

Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:09 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by louise4
and another

oh good, it wasnt just me then!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alneve2oz
Sorry, that was a rather convoluted (if eloquent and loquatious) answer. Simply put:

It cost 25 quid + 2 quid tip = 27
They paid 30 quid
They got 3 quid back

i.e. There's a difference between money in your pocket, and hypothetical money in sums.

AJ.
OK move on, you're boring me now
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:10 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Maths never was my strong point. mind you saying that i think all my points are a bit blunt
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Pootle
£25 divided by 3 = they each paid £8.33
given back a pound = they each paid £9.33
£9.33 x 3 = £28
plus the waiters £2 = £30!!!

ok so I'm a smart a***

Well, not quite a smar a***, as that would total £29.99 in which case with your "logic" there's still a penny "missing". The problem is that the guys didn't pay £9.33, they paid £9 1/3 - not much of a difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.