Reload this Page >

Putting a sign over my garage

Putting a sign over my garage

Old Feb 16th 2014, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

erukus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Putting a sign over my garage

Hi

I am thinking of renting a house in a high traffic area with the intention of running my side business from the garage. I would like to put a sign over the garage door to advertise my business. I am just wondering if there is anything preventing me from doing this? As I don't want to rent a place and then be told to take down the sign. BTW I am in Perth!

Thanks
Old Feb 16th 2014, 9:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Putting a sign over my garage

Originally Posted by erukus
Hi

I am thinking of renting a house in a high traffic area with the intention of running my side business from the garage. I would like to put a sign over the garage door to advertise my business. I am just wondering if there is anything preventing me from doing this? As I don't want to rent a place and then be told to take down the sign. BTW I am in Perth!

Thanks
I would check with 1) your local council and 2) your landlord. There are restrictions in some suburbs on what business can be done in residential areas and I would hint you're going to have some issues trying to find a landlord willing to rent you a house so you can run a business out of it.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 10:11 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I think there will be various issues with you doing it from your home especially if you are renting. You would require insurance for a start which might be hard if you are doing it 'on the side'. A lot will depend on the type of business.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

TimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of light

Most landlords, will not allow you to run a business, or even register the address for a business.

I doubt you would get very far, but tbh most ppl turn a blind eye lol

to add:

In some suburbs there are even covenants preventing you from parking a signwritten van in the street !
The way round it is to register the business to a PO Box, and chuck a sign written vanon your drive even if it dont run ) lol
Old Feb 16th 2014, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

The local council is your first port of call. Each has different rules and regulations re running a business from home. If you have a specific area in mind that you wish to live in, you need to find out which local authority looks after that suburb and ascertain their requirements.

You should also bear in mind that the local metro councils in WA are required to merge/amalgamate over the next few years and all the current rules and regs are open to being changed.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

currently having a problem with this.

Tenants have put up a sign on the front house saying 'blah blah plumbing.'

However our insurance on the house. required us to tick, no business is run from the house.

But Letting agent acting like I am making a big fuss
Old Feb 17th 2014, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

^^ You are the customer - the Letting Agent should do as you request.

Have you rung your insurance co and asked how this impacts on your insurance? If there is an increased premium - incorporate it into the next rent review. Ensure tenant is aware via agent this will happen.