Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Putting 2 cats in one kennel for transport...

Putting 2 cats in one kennel for transport...

Old Apr 7th 2005, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

vics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura about
Question Putting 2 cats in one kennel for transport...

Hi All

I know there are loads of people out there who have transported their cats - thanks to everyone who has helped with recommendations of places to use. Now I'm just after a bit of reassurance about the kennels from someone with experience really!

I have been getting quotes for sending our 2 cats to Perth in one kennel as I feel that being together will keep the cats a bit calmer in the strange surroundings. Two out of the three places that I have phoned have obliged and given a quote without comment on the two cats in one kennel, but I have just phoned one place and the lady said that they (and the airlines) prefer to send them in individual kennels. She said that if I really wanted them to go together they only do double kennels with wire mesh down the middle so they can't get to one another.

Is it usual for a "double occupancy" kennel to have mesh down the middle? If it is then I guess that the others have quoted for a using a similar kennel but just didn't say.

Thanks!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 12:28 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Putting 2 cats in one kennel for transport...

Sorry, bit confused do you mean "kennel" as it what they'll be staying in during quarantine or as in what they will be shipped in?
Old Apr 7th 2005, 12:34 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean the "box" they go in on the aeroplane, I am sure I have read that they won't put more than one in each cage (or whatever). Used to have instances where one would get scared and suffocate the other one or have major fights etc. If you can have one that is a double with mesh down the middle, that sounds quite good.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:20 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
If you mean the "box" they go in on the aeroplane, I am sure I have read that they won't put more than one in each cage (or whatever). Used to have instances where one would get scared and suffocate the other one or have major fights etc. If you can have one that is a double with mesh down the middle, that sounds quite good.
We spoke to 2 Co's at Sandown. Airpets separate the one box with mesh but the other one (can't remember who) said they put them in separate boxes as they don't charge any less for sharing.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

vics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by worzel
We spoke to 2 Co's at Sandown. Airpets separate the one box with mesh but the other one (can't remember who) said they put them in separate boxes as they don't charge any less for sharing.
Thanks all - I meant the box that they travel in.

Worzel - I will probably go with Airpets after reading all the comments about them - but they didn't mention mesh to separate the 2 cats in the box over the phone. But I guess if it is the norm for the double occupancy boxes then they probably wouldn't think to.

Thinking about it I guess it is probably best to separate them a little bit. One of my persians is quite a bit bigger than the other and he would probably hog all the room!!!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:44 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vics
Thanks all - I meant the box that they travel in.

Worzel - I will probably go with Airpets after reading all the comments about them - but they didn't mention mesh to separate the 2 cats in the box over the phone. But I guess if it is the norm for the double occupancy boxes then they probably wouldn't think to.

Thinking about it I guess it is probably best to separate them a little bit. One of my persians is quite a bit bigger than the other and he would probably hog all the room!!!
I thought it might help them feel less scared if they could see each other
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

I thought it might help them feel less scared if they could see each other
Yep - my thoughts exactly. So I guess its a box with mesh down the middle for their little trip together!

Sounds about as comfortable as our economy airplane seats are - but at twice the price! :scared:
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:04 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

My two flew with Airpets and they recommended them flying together, there was no mesh separating them and the flight box was more than big enough for the two of them, I'll dig it out tomorrow and post a pic for you.

My two are brother and sister and despite the fact they don't spend a lot of time together in the house and regularly play fight they were fine, they spent a lot of time in quarantine huddled up together.

I also used to work airside as an airline engineer at Heathrow and it was quite common to see two cats in the same box and I can never recall seeing any of them fighting, they get a little bit stressed when they get taken out onto the tarmac as nothing can be done about the noise of the airport, although the night flights to Aus aren't too bad as they are about the last thing out of T4 and there's not much about at that time of night. The baggage handlers won't take them out to the plane till late in the loading process and the cargo bay is warm and once the doors are shut and the lights are off they will curl up and go to sleep for most of the flight.

My two have suffered no ill effects and have settled back into their normal routine now they run the house and have their kitchen slave back.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:12 pm
Laura & Nick

ljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant future

Hi All

I know there are loads of people out there who have transported their cats - thanks to everyone who has helped with recommendations of places to use. Now I'm just after a bit of reassurance about the kennels from someone with experience really!

I have been getting quotes for sending our 2 cats to Perth in one kennel as I feel that being together will keep the cats a bit calmer in the strange surroundings. Two out of the three places that I have phoned have obliged and given a quote without comment on the two cats in one kennel, but I have just phoned one place and the lady said that they (and the airlines) prefer to send them in individual kennels. She said that if I really wanted them to go together they only do double kennels with wire mesh down the middle so they can't get to one another.

Is it usual for a "double occupancy" kennel to have mesh down the middle? If it is then I guess that the others have quoted for a using a similar kennel but just didn't say.

Thanks!
How much were you quoted to transport the 2 cats (1 box/kennel or 2)?

Cheers
Laura
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ljk888
How much were you quoted to transport the 2 cats (1 box/kennel or 2)?

Cheers
Laura
The quotes have varied between £800 to £1300 for 2 cats in one box to Perth at the beginning of June - but the £800 was just a basic service (box, vet to seal it, transport from the kennels to the airport & flight - you had to do all the other paperwork and book the quarantine).

The more expensive one was just a quick estimate of price given over the phone from Airpets and included everything except the quarantine cost. They are going to send me a proper quote in the post.

I think I will be going with Airpets - 2 cats in one box (with or without mesh!). Even though it is the most expensive they have been given plenty of recommendations, and it sounds the least hassle.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:48 pm
Laura & Nick

ljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant future

The quotes have varied between £800 to £1300 for 2 cats in one box to Perth at the beginning of June - but the £800 was just a basic service (box, vet to seal it, transport from the kennels to the airport & flight - you had to do all the other paperwork and book the quarantine).

The more expensive one was just a quick estimate of price given over the phone from Airpets and included everything except the quarantine cost. They are going to send me a proper quote in the post.

I think I will be going with Airpets - 2 cats in one box (with or without mesh!). Even though it is the most expensive they have been given plenty of recommendations, and it sounds the least hassle.

Wow, that's more than our flights will cost! Do they get inflight entertainment? Champagne??

It certainly all adds up doesn't it... how much do you reckon in total costs to emmigrate? £10 - 15k?
Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:06 pm
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by ljk888
It certainly all adds up doesn't it... how much do you reckon in total costs to emmigrate? £10 - 15k?
I posted a "costed timeline" thread a while back and it came out over £30K if you include lost income assuming no work for a month or two either side of the move, validation trips loss on selling cars etc etc. I think £10-£15K is probably reasonable for direct costs.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:13 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we'll probably go with Airpets too when our time comes...
Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:19 pm
Laura & Nick

I posted a "costed timeline" thread a while back and it came out over £30K if you include lost income assuming no work for a month or two either side of the move, validation trips loss on selling cars etc etc. I think £10-£15K is probably reasonable for direct costs.

Ouch!! :scared: But worth it in the end I hope...
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
I think we'll probably go with Airpets too when our time comes...
I don't think you can, a) economy seats are cheaper and b) they only take pets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.