Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Put down that mince pie

Put down that mince pie

Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:54 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Put down that mince pie

AFTER a decade of public campaigns, keep-fit programs and gym membership, new figures show that obesity is widespread among Australians.

Poor, less-educated, middle-aged men who live in the country are leading the way in the epidemic gripping the country.

The research pinpoints the groups within the population hardest hit by being overweight and obesity, which increased nearly 4 per cent and 7.2 per cent respectively in the past decade.

The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare bulletin Are All Australians Gaining Weight shows 15.1 per cent of West Australians are overweight but that the State remains in the middle of results, with 18.5 per cent of Queenslanders overweight and 13.5 per cent of those in the ACT overweight.

Report co-author Bonnie Field said being overweight and obesity was widespread and affected people from a range of backgrounds.

Ms Field said the trend among young people aged 20 to 24 years where obesity had more than doubled in the past decade, from 4.4 per cent to 9.5 per cent, was of great concern.

The results would be used to help shape government policy.

Health Department nutrition and physical activity manager Christina Pollard said the results were worrying but not surprising.

"It's about the food people eat, it's about the type of work, the lack of physical activity and access to healthier food choices," she said.

"But it is a very complex combination of factors that impact on overweight and obesity." Ms Pollard said the most worrying result was the rate at which overweight and obesity was increasing.

"The consequences of these figures is that you get heart disease, diabetes, cancers," she said.

"It is very important that we address the risk factors of eating well and getting active to try and reduce the risk of these diseases."

If everyone ate two fruit and five vegetables a day, found time for 30 minutes of physical activity and babies were breastfed it would make a big difference to overweight and obesity rates and reduce disease.

Among the sexes, men were more likely than women to be overweight, 58.9 per cent to 43.2 per cent.

Around the nation, Queenslanders topped the national list of fatties (18.5 per cent), followed by South Australia (17.6), NSW (16.9), Tasmania (16.5), Victoria (15.5) and Western Australia (15.1).

The ACT had the lowest rate of obesity by far at 13.5 per cent. With its higher levels of affluence, the finding from the national capital bore out suggestions that while no social group escaped obesity, economic status had some influence.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:00 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Put down that mince pie

Originally posted by Jirrupin
AFTER a decade of public campaigns, keep-fit programs and gym membership, new figures show that obesity is widespread among Australians.

Poor, less-educated, middle-aged men who live in the country are leading the way in the epidemic gripping the country.

The research pinpoints the groups within the population hardest hit by being overweight and obesity, which increased nearly 4 per cent and 7.2 per cent respectively in the past decade.

The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare bulletin Are All Australians Gaining Weight shows 15.1 per cent of West Australians are overweight but that the State remains in the middle of results, with 18.5 per cent of Queenslanders overweight and 13.5 per cent of those in the ACT overweight.

Report co-author Bonnie Field said being overweight and obesity was widespread and affected people from a range of backgrounds.

Ms Field said the trend among young people aged 20 to 24 years where obesity had more than doubled in the past decade, from 4.4 per cent to 9.5 per cent, was of great concern.

Health Department nutrition and physical activity manager Christina Pollard said the results were worrying but not surprising.

"It's about the food people eat, it's about the type of work, the lack of physical activity and access to healthier food choices," she said.

"But it is a very complex combination of factors that impact on overweight and obesity." Ms Pollard said the most worrying result was the rate at which overweight and obesity was increasing.

"The consequences of these figures is that you get heart disease, diabetes, cancers," she said.

"It is very important that we address the risk factors of eating well and getting active to try and reduce the risk of these diseases."

If everyone ate two fruit and five vegetables a day, found time for 30 minutes of physical activity and babies were breastfed it would make a big difference to overweight and obesity rates and reduce disease.

Among the sexes, men were more likely than women to be overweight, 58.9 per cent to 43.2 per cent.

Around the nation, Queenslanders topped the national list of fatties (18.5 per cent), followed by South Australia (17.6), NSW (16.9), Tasmania (16.5), Victoria (15.5) and Western Australia (15.1).

The ACT had the lowest rate of obesity by far at 13.5 per cent. With its higher levels of affluence, the finding from the national capital bore out suggestions that while no social group escaped obesity, economic status had some influence.

This gets me thinking...I live in Cambridge where the vast majority of the population either walk or cycle everywhere. When Mr Bundy's dad was over last year, he commented on the fact that there were, and I quote 'no fat people in Cambridge'. I'd never really though about it, but it's true - the number of obese people in this neck of the woods does seem to be lower than average. Which just goes to show that getting off your backside and moving about under your own steam can work wonders...and that exercise is the key, not endless dieting.

But we all knew that already, right
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Does that campervan of yours have some sort of satellite dish thing on top for keeping you in touch with the rest of us as you gallivant across the Nullabor ... or have you just not left Perth yet?
Old Dec 10th 2003, 11:18 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by CHnJ
Does that campervan of yours have some sort of satellite dish thing on top for keeping you in touch with the rest of us as you gallivant across the Nullabor ... or have you just not left Perth yet?
A satellite dish now there's an idea. Not left Perth yet, Chris is refitting the van out so expect to leave mid to late Jan at the moment, lots of variables so we will see.

I thought the health report was both interesting and worrying especially the trend among young people aged 20 to 24 years where obesity had more than doubled in the past decade, from 4.4 per cent to 9.5 per cent, was of great concern.

I do see people walking and cycling down by the river everyday, you also see a few people cycling to work, but really as at home the majority of people drive. But these don't seem to be the obese people most look quite fit. Others look like they are aiming to lose a few punds and trim up for summer. I guess the ones in these figures could be sat at home.

But WA had the lowest percentage with Queenslanders at the top(18.5 per cent), followed by South Australia (17.6), NSW (16.9), Tasmania (16.5), Victoria (15.5) and Western Australia (15.1).

I think these figures are soley for obesity the general 'overweight population were published recently at 40+%.

I know that obesity is an epidemic problems across the western world. But do you think they might try to combat the figures by only allowing very skinny people to immigrate?
Old Dec 10th 2003, 11:23 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

A satellite dish now there's an idea. Not left Perth yet, Chris is refitting the van out so expect to leave mid to late Jan at the moment, lots of variables so we will see.

I thought the health report was both interesting and worrying especially the trend among young people aged 20 to 24 years where obesity had more than doubled in the past decade, from 4.4 per cent to 9.5 per cent, was of great concern.

I do see people walking and cycling down by the river everyday, you also see a few people cycling to work, but really as at home the majority of people drive. But these don't seem to be the obese people most look quite fit. Others look like they are aiming to lose a few punds and trim up for summer. I guess the ones in these figures could be sat at home.

But WA had the lowest percentage with Queenslanders at the top(18.5 per cent), followed by South Australia (17.6), NSW (16.9), Tasmania (16.5), Victoria (15.5) and Western Australia (15.1).

I think these figures are soley for obesity the general 'overweight population were published recently at 40+%.

I know that obesity is an epidemic problems across the western world. But do you think they might try to combat the figures by only allowing very skinny people to immigrate?

All the real fatties seem to be hidden away, you don't see them on the beach but if you go down to the big, sterile malls like Whitfords, that's where they all seem to live.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Geeez i hope not!!...i'm trying very hard............ honest
Old Dec 10th 2003, 11:34 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by podgypossum
In UK many of us 'pig out' a bit at christmas time put on a few pounds to keep out the cold and trim down for summer. But here you have to contend with boxes of chocs, mince pies and your bikini staring at you at the same time. It just don't seem right, not just different, just not right
Old Dec 10th 2003, 11:38 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

"But it is a very complex combination of factors that impact on overweight and obesity."
Thats the truest part of the whole equation ..... it's NOT just about simply doing an extra 15 mins exercise & thinking that that will fix the worlds obesity problems. For some it may help loose a couple of extra pounds, but for many it is far far more complex.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 11:44 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

It does depend on the Beach. Trendy Eastern Burbs beaches like Bondi and Tama are not the most comfortable places for larger people. Family orientated beaches should not be a problem.

Shopping malls are definately the hangout of the podgies. Maybe its something in the foodcourts.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Oh god i must stop out of whitfords then , youve seen me then renth i like whitfords its so big i get my 30 minutes walking from one end to the other and back again
Joanne
Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Yes but how much $$$$$$$ do you spend in the process Miss Naughty?
Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

i know all the coffee shops if anyone wants to know a good one . Di ssshhhhh
Old Dec 11th 2003, 2:50 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum
Don't worry. I actually spotted a woman in our communal pool who wasn't a size 8. No wonder Mr Pookin spends so much time admiring the 'birds' in our garden!
Old Dec 11th 2003, 7:53 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Thats the truest part of the whole equation ..... it's NOT just about simply doing an extra 15 mins exercise & thinking that that will fix the worlds obesity problems. For some it may help loose a couple of extra pounds, but for many it is far far more complex.
But for a lot of people it would help. And not just by shifting a few pounds - heart disease, bowel cancer, osteoporosis...the list is pretty long.

But I agree, there is more to the whole problem and we shouldn't just assume larger people are lazy/lacking will power etc. I have virtually non-existent thyroid therefore no metabolism therefore an endless battle to keep fit and keep in shape. Doing alright so far...
Old Dec 11th 2003, 8:39 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
But for a lot of people it would help. And not just by shifting a few pounds - heart disease, bowel cancer, osteoporosis...the list is pretty long.

But I agree, there is more to the whole problem and we shouldn't just assume larger people are lazy/lacking will power etc. I have virtually non-existent thyroid therefore no metabolism therefore an endless battle to keep fit and keep in shape. Doing alright so far...
Interesting bundy, are you taking thyroxine & whats your TSH level? (when you were diagnosed & now)

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Dec 11th 2003 at 8:42 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.