Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Purely researching at the moment

Purely researching at the moment

Old Jan 20th 2010, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

rekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nice
Default Purely researching at the moment

Hi to all,

Let me introduce my family,myself Steve 34 Amanda my wife of 10 years 31, Christopher 8, Leah 6 and Zac the black Labrador 16 months I am a motor mechanic by trade and am employed at the mo as a HGV technician for mercedes benz, my wife has been working in the childcare sector since college and up until september was self employed as a childminder while she completed a foundation degree in Parenting, famillies and the community(stepping stone onto a teaching degree, social worker etc, can go in various directions of the back of it)

Having had a guy from work, and a friend of a friend emigrate to Australia and heard the greener grass stories from them it got me thinking. And as i am becoming more and more dismayed with society in the UK i am doing some ground work on whats involved.

Dont worry i'm not going to sit here and reel off all my questions as i would be typing all night, it seems i will find a lot of answers throughout this forum. But so far every answer i get raises a handfull more questions. But heres a couple to get me started:

We have seen adverts for emigration seminars, are they worth the price of a ticket. What sort of timescale would be looking at, i heard about 3 years give or take. What are the costs involved?

there just a couple of tit bits to test the water

thanks in advance

Steve
Old Jan 20th 2010, 11:40 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Purely researching at the moment

Originally Posted by rekkymech
We have seen adverts for emigration seminars, are they worth the price of a ticket. What sort of timescale would be looking at, i heard about 3 years give or take. What are the costs involved?

there just a couple of tit bits to test the water

thanks in advance

Steve
In my opinion, no they are not worth it. They are merely a money-making scheme.

If you are interested in moving to Australia, by far the best resource is www.immi.gov.au.

The costs to emigrate are very variable, depending on personal circumstances. Even the cost of bringing over the dog can vary due to numerous factors...

I will make a rough stab in the dark and say that GBP20k would do the trick comfortably.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
In my opinion, no they are not worth it. They are merely a money-making scheme.

If you are interested in moving to Australia, by far the best resource is www.immi.gov.au.

The costs to emigrate are very variable, depending on personal circumstances. Even the cost of bringing over the dog can vary due to numerous factors...

I will make a rough stab in the dark and say that GBP20k would do the trick comfortably.
But, depending on visa type, and personal circumstances, it could be 10k or less (all in, flights etc) . .
Old Jan 20th 2010, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

rekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nicerekkymech is just really nice

According to DIAC its the following, have about 25k equity in our house at current climate but may have to shave that to sell quickly if we went for it.

Skilled - Independent - Migrant (subclass 175) visa,

Whats the best web places to look for work out there?
Old Jan 21st 2010, 12:05 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

If you come on a 175 it's highly unlikely you'll find work before making the move. If you want to try and get an idea of vacancies / salaries have a look at http://www.seek.com.au
Old Jan 21st 2010, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rekkymech
According to DIAC its the following, have about 25k equity in our house at current climate but may have to shave that to sell quickly if we went for it.

Skilled - Independent - Migrant (subclass 175) visa,

Whats the best web places to look for work out there?
Hi rekkymech

There are many employment sites out here, here are a few, http://www.jobsearch.com.au/, http://www.seek.com.au/ and http://jobsearch.gov.au/default.aspx which is probably the most comprehensive site in the country. Its like any other place down here for employment, there are thousands of employment agencies but you do have to be careful as i have heard horror stories.

Good luck

Bob