Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Purchasing house in Oz but still in uk

Purchasing house in Oz but still in uk

Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of
Default Purchasing house in Oz but still in uk

Just wondering if anyone has bought a house in Oz whilst still living in the UK and before making their final move over.
We are moving to QLD next Summer but can already see that the house prices over there are rising rapidly and I think that by the time we move we may be priced out of the market. We are looking at trying to buy a 4 bed, 2 bath property.

We have already validated our visas but think that, if we can, it may be worth buying something before the year is out.

Is it possible and has anyone already done this? If so, is it easy to do so?

Any advice would be great

Cheers
Jo
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice
Default Re: Purchasing house in Oz but still in uk

Originally Posted by joeyb
Just wondering if anyone has bought a house in Oz whilst still living in the UK and before making their final move over.
We are moving to QLD next Summer but can already see that the house prices over there are rising rapidly and I think that by the time we move we may be priced out of the market. We are looking at trying to buy a 4 bed, 2 bath property.

We have already validated our visas but think that, if we can, it may be worth buying something before the year is out.

Cheers
Jo

would also like to know the same as well
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

German Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, we did - last year.

I can't be bothered to write it all out again - so check this link - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469661

Heed my advise. Do it and good luck!

Cheers -

Dave.

Cheers
Jo
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by German Dave
Yes, we did - last year.

I can't be bothered to write it all out again - so check this link - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469661

Heed my advise. Do it and good luck!

Cheers -

Dave.
Thanks Dave.

Just read your other post and it has been very helpful. We also know which areas we like as we went over to Oz in April to validate. My hubbie is thinking of going over in October to house hunt and get us on the property ladder. We are going to select a few properties from the internet and email estate agents before he goes and then try and set up quite a few viewings in a short space of time. We also have relatives in the area we want to move to so they could have a drive by and give us their 'honest' opinion.

Will it be ok to pm you if we have any further queries?

Glad it turned out well for you.

Jo
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

German Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes - feel free to do so. Surrounded by boxes and extremely busy packing (not long now!) but will reply to any questions as best I can....

Cheers -

Dave.

Thanks Dave.

Just read your other post and it has been very helpful. We also know which areas we like as we went over to Oz in April to validate. My hubbie is thinking of going over in October to house hunt and get us on the property ladder. We are going to select a few properties from the internet and email estate agents before he goes and then try and set up quite a few viewings in a short space of time. We also have relatives in the area we want to move to so they could have a drive by and give us their 'honest' opinion.

Will it be ok to pm you if we have any further queries?

Glad it turned out well for you.

Jo
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:42 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Purchasing house in Oz but still in uk

Yep.

Click here for mine.

Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yep.

Click here for mine.

Nice one, Vash!

Your new house looks great. Did you find it all pretty easy to do such as transferring money and exchanging contracts?

Jo
Old Aug 13th 2007, 7:16 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Purchasing house in Oz but still in uk

Nice one, Vash!

Your new house looks great. Did you find it all pretty easy to do such as transferring money and exchanging contracts?

Jo
Yep, dead simple.

Most of the necessary documents were emailed to us; we just printed them out, filled them in, scanned them, and emailed them back. (A few had to be sent by regular mail, but that didn't take long). We were also allowed to email scans of our passports, proof of income, etc. All very convenient.

At the Australian end, the of legwork and face-to-face stuff (offer to purchase; exchange of contracts, etc.) was taken care of by my Mum.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

We have too (we will see the unit for the first time in October, hope we like it!). The process was easy enough, we bought it at auction using a buyer's agent (Jacques who posts on here). To be honest, it's probably a bit different for us because it will be rented out for a while as we won't be moving for several years. Lost out quite a bit in exchange rate movements between the auction and completion though. Maybe with hindsight we should have managed that better - or at least factored it more into account.