British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Purchasing a car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/purchasing-car-599718/)

sheli0508 Mar 24th 2009 11:36 pm

Purchasing a car

Hi does anyone know if we can buy and insure a car in Victoria on a UK licence?

I called VicRoads this morning to book in to swap our licences but we need a utility bill in our name. We've been here just over a week so we don't have anything yet. Still trying to secure a bloody rental - but that's another story!!!

We bought a car last Saturday and we pick it up this coming Saturday once we've arranged insurance - I just wasn't sure about the licence thing.

cheers,

Shelley

jayr Mar 24th 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Purchasing a car

Yes you can

Originally Posted by sheli0508 (Post 7415946)

I called VicRoads this morning to book in to swap our licences but we need a utility bill in our name. We've been here just over a week so we don't have anything yet. Still trying to secure a bloody rental - but that's another story!!!

We bought a car last Saturday and we pick it up this coming Saturday once we've arranged insurance - I just wasn't sure about the licence thing.

cheers,

Shelley

andy thomas Mar 25th 2009 2:08 am

Hi Shelley

Can you get a letter from the owner/landlord or where you are staying now just to say that that is your current home address and that all the bills are included in the rent so you don't have any utility bills. I do it for our clients all the time.

Andy

RCoight Mar 25th 2009 2:23 am

Yep I did.

Zambia Mar 25th 2009 2:23 am

cheers,

Shelley

Hi the RACV do this no bother

Dont go rushing to get visit VicRoads you will be sick of them soon enough.

You dont need insurance to pick up the car , it should have a bit of rego on it . The car yard help you on this.

You can drive on your UK licence for 3 months, best of luck with the rental if you tell me the areas you are looking for I might be able to piont you right.

sheli0508 Mar 26th 2009 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Zambia (Post 7416296)
Hi the RACV do this no bother

Dont go rushing to get visit VicRoads you will be sick of them soon enough.

You dont need insurance to pick up the car , it should have a bit of rego on it . The car yard help you on this.

You can drive on your UK licence for 3 months, best of luck with the rental if you tell me the areas you are looking for I might be able to piont you right.

Thanks for the replies...

We are, for the moment, down on the Nepean Hwy in Frankston. Trying to get a rental... but that's another story:curse:....

We've got quotes online for insurance... I thought it would have to be insured when we pick it up - same as the UK?

Rego? Is that the same as road tax?

jayr Mar 26th 2009 7:01 am

Rego can largely be considered to be simialr to car tax yes. It is an annual payment and you pay for Complusory Third Party insurance at the same time (CTP)