Reload this Page >

purchasing another seat for 18 month old

purchasing another seat for 18 month old

Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:48 am
Just Joined

hughes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: purchasing another seat for 18 month old

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Wow, wish I'd seen this thread sooner. I did the flight on my own with my 20month old in July with Malaysian. I took the carseat and bought a trolley thing that fixes to the back of it so I wheeled him around in that through the airports and just had a backpack as carry-on luggage. I wouldn't have survived that trip without the carseat and the Malaysian staff were more than accommodating even though I'm sure they probably groaned inside when they saw me wheel up! All together it was a great flight and I laugh now that I'd spent the previous 4 months winding myself up about how I was going to cope on my own. I'm glad you've sorted things out now and I'm sure you'll be fine with BA. Good luck.
Hi

Where did you manage to get the trolly thing from?

Would be a godsend for me!!

Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

dont know if i've done the right thing..... i've booked for me and DD (who will be 23 months at the time we travel) and she will be on my lap the whole time.....

TBH just couldnt justify the extra expense (over $2K) for the seat... anyone travelled the whole distance with their child on their lap who can please tell me it's not that bad?

(I've booked a night time flight for the one to the UK so hopefully she'll be asleep most of the way...)

Old Oct 7th 2008, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

sylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bridie
dont know if i've done the right thing..... i've booked for me and DD (who will be 23 months at the time we travel) and she will be on my lap the whole time.....

TBH just couldnt justify the extra expense (over $2K) for the seat... anyone travelled the whole distance with their child on their lap who can please tell me it's not that bad?

(I've booked a night time flight for the one to the UK so hopefully she'll be asleep most of the way...)

that's exactly why I didn't book the extra seat in the end but also why I went with BA who have a special toddler seat that goes where the bassinet goes. Who are you flying with?

People do it and like me you'll just have to get on with it..!! I have heard you do get a numb bum if they fall asleep on you for a long period of time!
I'm going next week so I will post an update on how I go... good luck...
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Annehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really nice

Originally Posted by sylvesterthecat
well only a week now til me and my little boy go on our adventure.

We ended up cancelling malaysian and almost getting a full refund. we are now booked with BA as they do a special seat by Britax for toddlers. I know its not guaranteed but its worth a try and seeing as i'll be travelling on my own I may get lucky.

Have received a definate NO from Perth Airport to taking my stroller to the gate. I have to use their ones, which means (I assume) I dont get one at my transit in Singapore.. so will have to carry my heavy boy around with hand luggage.

does anyone know any different?
I think the reason you can't have your buggy at Perth is most probably due to how the put the luggage on the plane. Adelaide and Melbourne also don't let you take your own buggy to the gate. But i still got my buggy at Hong Kong. So check with them when you check in at the airport they should be able to let you know. Or call the airline to find out. Young children and hand baggage just don't go together.

Good luck with your trip.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:35 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hughes
Hi

Where did you manage to get the trolly thing from?

Would be a godsend for me!!

They don't sell them in the UK so if you've got the time you could order one from the States. I was lucky and found somebody selling their used-once one on eBay in the UK, you might be lucky too.

http://www.gogobabyz.com/products/gogo_kids.html

Emma
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:22 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

There's always something like this:
http://toteatot.com/products.html

I've never tried it but it looks like it could work great. Alternatively you might be able to get some big straps and fashion something similar yourself.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Would a kid carrying backpack/hipsling work?

We had a simple one that was quite compact when no kid in it that we used in ariports. Some even had 2 wheels on to use like a tow along buggy.

Wheel him round in/on a luggage trolley if all else fails - we've done that too
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
They don't sell them in the UK so if you've got the time you could order one from the States. I was lucky and found somebody selling their used-once one on eBay in the UK, you might be lucky too.

http://www.gogobabyz.com/products/gogo_kids.html

Emma
Looks great

Originally Posted by comet555
I've never tried it but it looks like it could work great. Alternatively you might be able to get some big straps and fashion something similar yourself.
even better
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

took me ages to get to sleep last night, combination of excitement of seeing everyone and dread at the thought of a heavy load sitting on me the whole way........

.......so this morning i've booked DD her own seat!!!!!

Means the credit card is maxed out but at least we should both be more comfortable.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

sylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bridie
took me ages to get to sleep last night, combination of excitement of seeing everyone and dread at the thought of a heavy load sitting on me the whole way........

.......so this morning i've booked DD her own seat!!!!!

Means the credit card is maxed out but at least we should both be more comfortable.
good for you.. I hope you feel better and happier! I"m sure it will be easier. when do you fly?? I'm going next week and am also going thru a combination of nerves/excitement/anxiety!!

do let us know how you get on and any tips you may have!

Old Oct 8th 2008, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by comet555

Used this. A bit of a hassle as the seat has to go through xray machines so you have to detach from case but on the whole I thought it was worth it. Kids slept the whole second leg in their car seats which made it much better because we weren't so exhausted the other end.

I would suggest that if you are travelling with a kids on your lap you have as much help the other end as possible because it will be very draining but do able.

Good luck.

p.s Hubby and I travelled UK to Perth with 11 month old in car seat and then again a couple of years later with a DD who was 2yrs 9mnths and DS who was 15 months. If we travel back next summer DS will then be 3 so will probably leave the car seats but then again if I did take one both could have a turn in it. They can also walk to the seat themselves leaving me free to carry the car seat.

Last edited by PoppetUK; Oct 8th 2008 at 11:56 am.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Used this. A bit of a hassle as the seat has to go through xray machines so you have to detach from case but on the whole I thought it was worth it. Kids slept the whole second leg in their car seats which made it much better because we weren't so exhausted the other end.

I would suggest that if you are travelling with a kids on your lap you have as much help the other end as possible because it will be very draining but do able.

Good luck.

p.s Hubby and I travelled UK to Perth with 11 month old in car seat and then again a couple of years later with a DD who was 2yrs 9mnths and DS who was 15 months. If we travel back next summer DS will then be 3 so will probably leave the car seats but then again if I did take one both could have a turn in it. They can also walk to the seat themselves leaving me free to carry the car seat.
When I had planned on taking the car seat, I found it extremely difficult to find a list of carseats from the airline that was acceptable. All I knew was that they had to be FAA regulated although when I went to shops to purchase one, they said none had a stamp on them saying they were suitable for air travel.

I'd be interested to know which brand/make you took...?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

we're going in May.....

Enjoy your trip, look forward to hearing all about it
Old Nov 8th 2008, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

well I did it and I'm back.

Qantas customer service terrible and very much doubt I will fly with them again. BA were much better in my opinion.
Definately book a seat for your child if they are 18 months or thereabouts. I didn't but was lucky to get a spare seat next to me but would have been scuppered if he had to be on my lap. Still not sure whether taking a car seat would have been a help or hindrance, especially travelling on my own.
on the way out I didn't get my pushchair at Singapore. Perth airport and Qantas were both equally unhelpful in this respect. On the way back I was lucky enough to take pushchair to the gate and the BA staff put it on the plane (it was an umbrella type maclaren pushchair), therefore I had it in transit in singapore which was a godsend. He slept in it while I had a foot massage!

all in all, it was pretty tiring and something I will NEVER do again on my own with a toddler unless I absolutely had to.

Now we have the jet lag to get over...... sandwiches at 3am today...

Old Nov 8th 2008, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sylvesterthecat
When I had planned on taking the car seat, I found it extremely difficult to find a list of carseats from the airline that was acceptable. All I knew was that they had to be FAA regulated although when I went to shops to purchase one, they said none had a stamp on them saying they were suitable for air travel.

I'd be interested to know which brand/make you took...?
britax freeway. Cheap on eBay. Got britax to send latest I instructions and printed off emirates details re car seats. There isn't an actual stamp thing though. We got questioned about it and had details to back up it was ok. Check in staff are useless sometimes. Helped that we had done it before. Loved it that they could stay in them during turbulence. Good luck.