Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Purchase one-way vs return flights

Purchase one-way vs return flights

Old Sep 7th 2014, 9:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Purchase one-way vs return flights

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
I have faced death many a time,stared pure evil in the eyes,walked past a pub without going in,but i would NEVER EVER mess with a maple syrup slurping moose munching canuck
I knew one day I'd find something or someone that scared you
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 5:34 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Most airlines ridiculously overcharge on 1-way fares. If someone needs to purchase a 1-way and a 2-way comes out cheaper then by all means - go for it and "ditch" the ticket upon arrival.

Another option is to use a budget airline for part of the journey. I have an upcoming trip to Australia where we're going by ship and need to get back by plane. With all major carriers switching to "rip-off mode" in such a situation, we have booked our tickets with Scoot due to their fairly normal pricing structure for single tickets.

If you can get to Singapore significantly cheaper than to OZ then you might want to look at the former option coupled with a 1-way Scoot flight to complete the journey.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 1:30 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

It's worth mentioning that can not show up for the return but you couldn't do the reverse.

If you book a ticket and plan to skip the first flight and only catch the return flight then the airline will see your no show and cancel the return portion of your ticket. So obviously if you're going to skip a flight it has to be the return as you'd have already used the part that mattered to you.

This was somewhat relevant to us once as my husband had booked a one way flight and there was a connecting flight. For example City A to City B and then City B to City C. My husband wanted to skip the first part as his plans had changed and he was already going to be in City B anyway. However if he'd skipped the first part the airline would have cancelled his ticket. Stupidly I had to change his flight and pay money just so that he didn't have to take the first flight.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 6:43 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you always need to take the flights in the order in which they are listed in your itinerary. Skip any leg and you are in trouble when it comes to using that ticket for any further flights. I have seen a strange option on one of the carriers where you can pay extra to take flights in any order you wish, which I understand is the right to ditch any legs you don't want to take (obviously without the right to back-track and then do any unused legs from before).

Another important issue worth a closer look is... luggage. Keep in mind that some airlines charge extra luggge by the kg, whereas others have a very fair "per piece" pricing policy. Obviously this can make a huge difference when relocating and hauling half-a-dozen extra suitcases along.

BA is a good example of an airline with fair extra luggage prices (per piece), especially if you pre-pay them.

Singapore Airlines is at the other end of the spectrum and one of the worst choices with their 'per kg' policy.