Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Old Apr 16th 2006, 7:42 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Originally Posted by Craigy
Found out the hard way in Cairns on Friday!!! Had to buy a meal to get to drink (feeling really full now!!! )

Apparently pubs are open on monday so all is not lost. From what I can work out they are shut on Good Friday and Xmas Day and possibly the morning of ANZAC day.
Have booked meal out tomorrow so will have both.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:45 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Firstly Australia is a country that is historically christian.

Secondly Muslim's are not meant to drink alcohol, so a pub's licencing hours are irrelevant to the islamic community, excepting they would no doubt prefer we had national prohibition.

Thirdly, the idea that some poor sod should be at your beck and call so you can indulge on your public holiday while they get none is typical of this self absorbed brattish attitude that is helping to push empolyers to screw over their workers.

Why not get a couple of bottles in and get a recipe and cook your OH a nice meal at home? I'm sure she/he would be impressed with your effort.
As my OH usually works public holidays it was going to be a nice ride out, couple of beers, bar meal etc. Whether Muslims drink or not is irrelevant to me, the original statement was simply that the pubs were shut. Now I know I'm not in the UK any more, I know some people like to celebrate the Easter thing, however, I still don't think it's unreasonable to expect (in any Country, not just Aus [before vash jumps on me]) to be able to go out as a family and call in for a cold beer and a bar meal. I appreciate the people who have to work it are doing just that, when I am off work for a public holiday, but it seems rather silly that, as a Country, shops, restaurants, coffee shops, some Supermarkets etc etc are open while some establishments are shut. If it's "a predominantly Christian Country" then lets have them all on the same hymn sheet and either everywhere closes for it, or it's business as usual.

As for the 'beck and call' - I don't mind walking to the bar to get my drinks - I didn't expect table service, although having the food delivered to the table of an open pub would have been nice And...anyone taking a job in a pub must surely be aware before they take the job that weekends and public holidays are an integral part of the business for those places.

And finally, I do most of the cooking anyway, I quite enjoy it, but it's nice to have 'some poor sod indulging my brattish attitude' for a change.

Last edited by 232Bar; Apr 16th 2006 at 10:21 am.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by annqldau
Word of warning to anyone about to emigrate we just found out today all pubs in Queensland shut on Good Friday ruins a tradition of bank holiday drinking... .

So what other day do all the pubs shut???
Actually, can't ever remember posting a 'religion has shut pubs on Good Friday' thread but purely a warning to others who didn't realise for the future not to expect a nice pint on Good Friday as 99% of pubs seem to be shut.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gold Coaster

Would everyone want to celebrate a Bin Laden day or Adolf Hitler day.
careful, there's always one.

Old Apr 16th 2006, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
careful, there's always one.

Problem is those sorts always rule the worlds not the pubs... not sure about cave drinking and sure Steins came from the other ones era so may be in with a chance of a Good Friday drink with him.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 10:29 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Summarising the main viewpoints on this thread...

• Australian pubs are shut on Good Friday! These lazy bastards will do anything to knock off work! It's disgraceful! (Uh... I couldn't help noticing that yesterday was a PUBLIC HOLIDAY in the UK. Those lazy Brits; any excuse to down tools, eh!? )

Yep - but most places sensibly don't subscibe to the religious nonsense and open up for those who just wish to do some DIY, go to the Supermarket, have a beer, or whatever. Did you spend your English public holiday in the UK sitting at home and watching TV, or visiting your local church?

• Australians don't seem to understand that Good Friday is a religious holiday! It's disgraceful! (Uh... but all the Brits want to do is drink through it, so are the Aussies really that bad?! )

I didn't want to 'drink through it' I wanted a bar meal and a couple of pints - a considerable difference! Did you queue up to get your fresh fish and loaves?

• Australian pubs are shut on Good Friday! A classic case of religion controlling the masses! It's disgraceful! (Uh... didn't someone just claim that the Aussies don't know it's a religious occasion?! )

Not sure it was me who said this - although if the cap fits......

I'd say that this serves to demonstrate the extent to which our respective views of the world are coloured by our own personal filters - whether rose-coloured or otherwise.
I don't have rose coloured filters, I have realistic ones. Either everywhere is open or everywhere is closed. It seems a rather silly double standard in Australia. And before you decide to list them all as normal, I'm sure there are a few in teh UK, but we're talking about 1 specific thing. I can see the point of them closing on Anzac day as at least that is a real event which should be remembered, not some blind faith fairy tale supported by dogma through the ages.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 1:24 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Yep - but most places sensibly don't subscibe to the religious nonsense and open up for those who just wish to do some DIY, go to the Supermarket, have a beer, or whatever. Did you spend your English public holiday in the UK sitting at home and watching TV, or visiting your local church?
Neither! I spend Good Friday outside in the fresh air, working in the back yard with my missus and (in the afternoon) repairing some rust damage on my car.

I didn't want to 'drink through it' I wanted a bar meal and a couple of pints - a considerable difference! Did you queue up to get your fresh fish and loaves?
Nope! I ate at home and was happy to do so. The meal was good old fashioned red meat with good old fashioned vegies!

Not sure it was me who said this - although if the cap fits......
Well it doesn't fit me!

I don't have rose coloured filters, I have realistic ones.
I wasn't accusing you of wearing rose coloured filters. Your fall into the category of "otherwise."

Either everywhere is open or everywhere is closed. It seems a rather silly double standard in Australia.
How is it a double standard?

And before you decide to list them all as normal, I'm sure there are a few in teh UK, but we're talking about 1 specific thing. I can see the point of them closing on Anzac day as at least that is a real event which should be remembered, not some blind faith fairy tale supported by dogma through the ages.
Good Friday is what you make it - and what you make it will depend on how you view it. Secular people tend to view it as a public holiday; religious people tend to view it as a religious holiday. Either way, both groups understand that you can expect most places to be shut on a public holiday!
Old Apr 16th 2006, 10:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Either way, both groups understand that you can expect most places to be shut on a public holiday!
I still have to disagree with this part - for the past few years now more and more places have been opening on Public Holidays.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:49 pm

It's ok for you Vash you are in the UK where they were open not in closed up Aus.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:42 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't give a XXXX about the bloody pubs!!!

I JUST FOUND OUT WE GOT OUR VISA!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 1:00 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, can't ever remember posting a 'religion has shut pubs on Good Friday' thread but purely a warning to others who didn't realise for the future not to expect a nice pint on Good Friday as 99% of pubs seem to be shut.

Just wish the warning had been earlier! Hubby was going out for a couple like he normally does on a friday and I was dropping him off. We didn't realise all the pubs were shut! At least we know for next year though!
And like you, was wondering if they are shut on any other days!

Tracey
Old Apr 18th 2006, 1:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
I couldn't give a XXXX about the bloody pubs!!!

I JUST FOUND OUT WE GOT OUR VISA!
In that case you should be IN the B****y pub!!!
Congrats!!!!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Not to get into a religious debate but I think you will find that historians accept the crucifixion of Christ as an historical fact and not a fable or story.
er, that would in BC, 'Before Crucifixion'.

Fact is, Christ, there will be crucifixion if I don't water these plants.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

To be honest, I get so confused at what is supposed to be closed or open on a public holiday in both the Uk or Australia that I have long given up. At least Bunnings is open and full even if the churches aren't.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 8:25 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

So far have counted 10 crates full of empty brown bottles so G better be getting his home brew still on once we move... have put in order for larger not beer as I have finer tastes. Cresta was incommode computer I do believe so may be unable to answer or that was his patter at 1400hrs. He did text back that he too was in shock as had found pubs shut so may have returned home now.
LOL
We spent the weekend chasing Tuna and Spanish Mackerel all over the sandy straits. When G rang me for directions to the pub at Mappleton I have to confess I was somewhat hung over having barbied on the beach the previous night. Sitting in the boat having a nice cold beer rod in hand I suddenly realised that it was Good Friday and the pub would be shut, I was just about to ring and break the bad news [honest ] when you guys text ed me.
Having read the rest of the thread I believe that everywhere should be open that way the bloody bay wouldn't have been teaming with hundreds of other fellow anglers and we may have caught a few more. Bah Humbug.
PS Polly I have a special brew that I'm sure you will enjoy I'll bring you a case down when we next visit. Could be soon as Josh's mate left his game boy here so we'll have an excuse for a trip to the big smoke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.