Pubs in Aus

Old Jul 30th 2003, 6:26 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Pubs in Aus

We like to go down the pub 2/3 times a week minimum, which is so easy in the UK cos you are surrounded by them.

Not so in Aus as I understand it. The last time we were there (for 6 weeks in 2001) we had a 'local' but found it a bit too stuffy...they did'nt like me wearing vest & flip flops etc. I'm more at home in pubs where they let riff-raff like me in without question.

Anyway, opinions please on pubs in Aus.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 6:39 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm coloured by the backpacker circuit experience in QLD esp Cairns, up and down to Brissie and a bit of Sydney. Have to say, there were always loads of pubs (not Sunday evenings though) and it was all very casual and friendly but maybe not typical of deep Australia away from the backpackers? A couple of times, there were definitely no sleeveless T-Shirts or vests allowed. (On the way in, at least. Once in, anything goes.)

Didn't really get the hang of that schooners lark. Anyone care to explain?
Old Jul 30th 2003, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

unrefined_mind is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pubs in Aus

The idea of a night on schooner's is that you really cannot remember how many you have had!

“Same again guys� seems very repetitive after a while…..“sure you don’t do pints� is the reply.
“What’s a pint comes the reply from the barmaid in short skirt�, - in many parts of Sydney variations maybe “What’s a pint comes the reply from the barman in a short skirt�

Don’t even think of a piss up on midi’s……..

UM
Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:21 pm
Badge

Default drink measures - I think

OK OK 1 Brit pint = 20 oz ish 568ml??

NSW

schooner 15 ounces 425 ml (ie 3/4 of a pint)
midi 10 ounces 285ml (ie half a pint)

for what its worth in England asking for a "half" is a bit of a cop out - no one cares what you want in Aussie.

SA (the NSW sizes get downshifted one!!)

pint 15 ounces 425ml
schooner 10 ounces 285ml

QLD

pot 10 ounces 285 ml

VIC

pint 20 ounces
midi 10 ounces - 285ml

WA

not sure - just ask for the "onces" you want

NT

a darwin stubby is a "huge" amount of beer

stubbies are 375ml bottles which come in slabs of (typically) 24. some in 345ml.
You can get VB in "midi" size 285ml stubbies too. Introduced 2002 IIRC.
Tinnies which come in cartons are also 375ml - i think. Either way your stubby holder will fit fine.

if in doubt just ask for 20 or 15 ounces (assuming it is available) It will be on the bottom of the glass for even the stupidest Kal barmaid. There are also 8/5 ounce glasses I think..called a "pony"??!!

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; Jul 31st 2003 at 12:03 pm.

Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

You know a lot about the important things in life Badge.

How long did it take you to do all of the 'research' for these measurements!?
Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:23 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by chippy
We like to go down the pub 2/3 times a week minimum, which is so easy in the UK cos you are surrounded by them.

Not so in Aus as I understand it. The last time we were there (for 6 weeks in 2001) we had a 'local' but found it a bit too stuffy...they did'nt like me wearing vest & flip flops etc. I'm more at home in pubs where they let riff-raff like me in without question.

Perhaps you should think of starting a less stuffy pub, I'll be a regular, I'm sure Don would be welcome, even if he is coloured, and you'll have to learn to call your footwear thongs!

Slater
Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:27 pm
Badge

top of me head darling. After a year it is ingrained.

I'm just good at these things. Have a head for figures etc. Used to come top of the class in the days when it was all just recall etc

badgers

Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:39 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

i was supprised that many bars didnt sell pint`s but 3/4 pints or schooners....lol and the ozzies pride themselves on being a nation of drinkers, i bet your average brit could drink an ozzie under the table any day. even the tinnies were them small ones, not like the 500ml+ we get here.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:42 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Slater
Perhaps you should think of starting a less stuffy pub, I'll be a regular, I'm sure Don would be welcome, even if he is coloured, and you'll have to learn to call your footwear thongs!

Slater
Yeah we'll call it 'The Pommie Riff Raff Arms' unles anyones got a better name?
Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:43 pm
Badge

Originally posted by denhim
i was supprised that many bars didnt sell pint`s but 3/4 pints or schooners....lol and the ozzies pride themselves on being a nation of drinkers, i bet your average brit could drink an ozzie under the table any day. even the tinnies were them small ones, not like the 500ml+ we get here.

its cos the beer is too warm by the time you get down to the bottom. I found it bizarre drinking pints again here- seemed "heavy" ;-)

FWIW I'd rather drink less and be a fit bastard than drink too much and die fat and useless. Ask any rugby league/union professional and they hardly drink at all these days...shame I guess.

badgers

Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:44 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by badgersmount
its cos the beer is too warm by the time you get down to the bottom. I found it bizarre drinking pints again here- seemed "heavy" ;-)

FWIW I'd rather drink less and be a fit bastard than drink too much and die fat and useless. Ask any rugby league/union professional and they hardly drink at all these days...shame I guess.

badgers
Except for prop forewards

Slater
Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:47 pm
Badge

lucky bastards. the only athletes in the world that can be the size of Giant Haystacks and still motor around a fair bit.

Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:54 pm
I'm lovin' it

Originally posted by badgersmount

badgers
Bloody hell. So obvious but I never thought of that. Depends how quick you drink though I suppose.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of pubs here now sell pints instead of those poofy little girls blouse 'pots'.

I wouldn't worry about wearing a vest and flip flops (singlet and thongs). That's standard wear in many suburban and rural pubs esp here in QLD. In fact a lot of blokes here find the flip flops a bit too formal and omit them altogether.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 11:39 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by chippy

Most burbs in Perth have no ale houses at all so chances are you will travel to a Pub and watch the booze bus on the way back.
Pubs here are expensive compared to wage levels so the locals make going to them a big day out .
The Aussie lifestyle requires you to spend your play time in your backyard , social Pubs are few , if you get to know whos living next door to you its a major social event.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.