Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Published fares - is there such a thing?

Published fares - is there such a thing?

Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:19 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice
Default Published fares - is there such a thing?

G'day all,

We're fancying a trip back to blighty at some point later this year to organise getting our gear over here. I've had just about enough of the stupid bloody form-filling that seems necessary to find the best fares, which seems to be something of a random, yet exacting art.

I've looked at Singapore, Malaysian, Cathay, Gulf, Qantas, BA and Virgin's web pages, but with the exception of Virgin, have been unable to find their so-called 'Published' fares

Does anyone know of a website which lists these numbers for easy comparison? We're not fussed about even what time of year we fly, so could really do with understanding the seasonal price variations for each carrier.

Thanks in advance,
Alex
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:21 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice
Default Re: Published fares - is there such a thing?

And while I'm at it, damnit, has anyone found it to be cheaper to buy two one way tickets instead of a return from Oz? UK prices seem uncharacteristically much lower than here.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

No idea where the published fare list is, I usually find the airlines are at least $1000 more than the travel agent websites, mind you they often advertise fares that never have seats on

Cheapest time to go is Feb or Oct beg of nov, most ridiculous is anywhere near Xmas.

Fares from OZ to UK are usually much dearer than the silly old prices rip off britain charges for the same thing. Was a suggestion we might be able to start ticketing from the UK soon, obviously the OZ taxes would be the same tho.

Wife Looked at it all very recently, was coming up with just a pinch under the $2000 each for the cheapest time of the year (OCT) by the time taxes had been added. Its suicide for the wallet here really anytime you choose to go.

Last edited by jad n rich; Feb 16th 2005 at 5:58 am. Reason: To add word
Old Feb 16th 2005, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Bella3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Haven't got a clue about the published fares, but after spending over 2 months faffing around trying to get the best price, I finally booked a flight with Travelsure to the UK from Perth in May - $1589 plus tax of $233. It was the best I could come up with - you do have to spend $150 on land items to get this price and pay by end of Feb, but we wanted to hire a car anyway so used this without a problem. But, saying that I did see cheaper flights advertised in the Sunday Times - though usually when you look further into these, the cheap flights apply to October time only.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:20 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

Thanks for the replies, will look at oct/nov for our trip. I had spotted some with Virgin for 3280 return for the pair of us in November, but didn't have the cash to book (and foolishly thought I'd save on the exchange rate and not buy with UK credit card) - now they've vanished
Old Feb 17th 2005, 8:07 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4lex
Thanks for the replies, will look at oct/nov for our trip. I had spotted some with Virgin for 3280 return for the pair of us in November, but didn't have the cash to book (and foolishly thought I'd save on the exchange rate and not buy with UK credit card) - now they've vanished
Sorryifthisis a daft question ( and myspace bar is broken) but you have checked expedia.co.uk and opodo.co.uk and deckchair.co.uk (ie all the cheap consolidators ) they're quoting £1200 for example to fly next month for 2 adults + 2 children in economy. Or £4,500 for business class for 4 for the same people.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 10:18 am
Floribean in wait

oshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the rough

Hi

If you are literally looking for published fares as in these are the standard rates without a discount the travel agents will have them in a book from each airline. If you are looking for a discounted rate you would need to book through a consolidator i.e. travelbag, airsavers etc.. and from my experience of working in the travel industry it is always cheaper to buy a return ticket rather than one way.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 10:25 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

I'm starting in Oz though....
Old Feb 17th 2005, 10:39 am
Floribean in wait

oshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 4lex
I'm starting in Oz though....
Hi

There will be consolodators over there as well but they are just the UK ones I can name. Try looking on the web or the travel agents maybe able to help.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 10:41 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Alex, try www.zuji.com.au . They have a good website where you can actually see online the availability & book straight away if its available. We got flights last Sept/Oct for $1700 each including taxes in economy plus class with EVA Air.

Failing that try www.bestflights.com.au , they have great specials , but you do have to call to book the flights & check availability.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 10:41 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oshel
Hi

There will be consolodators over there as well but they are just the UK ones I can name. Try looking on the web or the travel agents maybe able to help.
Interestingly some of them have started adding little tick boxes for 'other point of departure' cant remember which one - but this would indicate you can buy Oz->UK flights from them.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:36 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Alex, just got this in an email from Best Flights

Brisbane to London Oct/Nov $1599 + taxes with Emirates

Or Sydney-London with Malaysian/Virgin Atlantic Oct 2005 for $1479 + taxes

There is also a deal going for flights using Malaysian/Sri Lankan Air for departures from East Coast (Brisbane, Sydney, Melb & Adelaide) Feb - 30 June for $1499 + taxes.

From memory, taxes cost us just over $200/adult with no stop overs.

Hope one of those may be useful.

(If anyones interested in a trip to the US check out the prices with Air NZ to LA & San Fran Feb-Apr 2005 - $999+ taxes from Brisbane/Sydney/Melb )
Old Feb 17th 2005, 9:13 pm
someone's had 'Alex'...

Thanks for all the links folks. Best I've found so far appears to be Cathay, all things considered - SYD-LHR via HK (obviously) and back in Oct is coming in at 1750 inc taxes each.

Matters not though, can't bloody pay for it yet!