Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Public transport in and around Cairns

Public transport in and around Cairns

Old Jul 11th 2007, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice
Default Public transport in and around Cairns

What's the public transport like in Cairns?

I was there last year and cannot actually remember seeing a bus but I saw bus stops so they must have buses. I won't be getting a car straight away and the cost of taxis will add up over time so I don't want to go down that route.

I don't think I'm going to be going to far, just the city to the closer subburbs.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 8:22 pm
In Cairns and loving it!!

The morris clan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Public transport in and around Cairns

Originally Posted by LauraC
What's the public transport like in Cairns?

I was there last year and cannot actually remember seeing a bus but I saw bus stops so they must have buses. I won't be getting a car straight away and the cost of taxis will add up over time so I don't want to go down that route.

I don't think I'm going to be going to far, just the city to the closer subburbs.
I'm interested in knowing this too, we are going out on a budget and buying as car isn't near the top of the list of things we need to buy.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 12th 2007, 9:15 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the Sunbus details.....
http://www.sunbus.com.au/tt_cairns.php

The routes are not comprehensive so careful where you choose to live if you rely on them.

Members of my family travelled to work every day from a close suburb to work in the city and it's not a pleasant experience.

The service was unreliable; sometimes very late, sometimes not turning up at all. Extremely hot and extremely smelly.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bix
Here's the Sunbus details.....
http://www.sunbus.com.au/tt_cairns.php

The routes are not comprehensive so careful where you choose to live if you rely on them.

Members of my family travelled to work every day from a close suburb to work in the city and it's not a pleasant experience.

The service was unreliable; sometimes very late, sometimes not turning up at all. Extremely hot and extremely smelly.
Thanks Bix.

I'm going to start saving for a car for when I get there! Or suffer for a few weeks.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 3 yrs and have got the bus once!

Few yrs back, had a night out and we decided to bus it rather than taxi, Kewarra beach to city, took well over an hour to get there and we were green by the time we got off - in and out of every beach suburb, bus driver cornered like there were coppers on his tail, on the highway drove like a snail most of the time but sped up like a loon if anyone dared to overtake him ... save for a car quick smart!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Been here 3 yrs and have got the bus once!

Few yrs back, had a night out and we decided to bus it rather than taxi, Kewarra beach to city, took well over an hour to get there and we were green by the time we got off - in and out of every beach suburb, bus driver cornered like there were coppers on his tail, on the highway drove like a snail most of the time but sped up like a loon if anyone dared to overtake him ... save for a car quick smart!

Pennies are going into the pot right now!