Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Public School Enrolment

Public School Enrolment

Old Mar 30th 2004, 6:57 am
Just Joined

mike7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Public School Enrolment

A quick question regarding enrolment in Public schooling. I have downloaded the Goverment forms which seem straight forward although there is a question regarding any 'physical / health condition' to be identified.

My youngest daughter has a slight weekness in her right leg which results in difficulty in placing her heel down, i.e. she walks on her tip toes. We do stretching exercises and she wears a splint which corrects the problem. Apart from that she is fine and attends normal schooling in Scotland where she is doing well. We mentioned this at her visa Medical and the Doctor didn't seem bothered by this.

We arrive in Sydney on the 18th April 2004. The question is, will this in any way affect her registration in Public schooling ?.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 7:16 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Public School Enrolment

Originally posted by mike7
A quick question regarding enrolment in Public schooling. I have downloaded the Goverment forms which seem straight forward although there is a question regarding any 'physical / health condition' to be identified.

My youngest daughter has a slight weekness in her right leg which results in difficulty in placing her heel down, i.e. she walks on her tip toes. We do stretching exercises and she wears a splint which corrects the problem. Apart from that she is fine and attends normal schooling in Scotland where she is doing well. We mentioned this at her visa Medical and the Doctor didn't seem bothered by this.

We arrive in Sydney on the 18th April 2004. The question is, will this in any way affect her registration in Public schooling ?.
I doubt it very much.
State schools are legally obliged to take any child resident in their area.

They probably just ask, so that they can be geered up to handle any special needs.

Old Mar 30th 2004, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks for information.

You mentioned that Schools are obliged to take children within the catchment area. Is this the case if the school is full ?.

We arrive in Sydney at the start of the Easter break and therefore will not be able to see the schools until they return. This is causing us some difficulty as we could not commit to a rental property until the school confirms that the girls can enrol.

However, if they are legal obliged to accept children within the catchment this would reduce the risk slightly of renting a house within the catchment.

Do you have any advice on this ?.

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I doubt it very much.
State schools are legally obliged to take any child resident in their area.

They probably just ask, so that they can be geered up to handle any special needs.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 7:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by mike7
Thanks for information.

You mentioned that Schools are obliged to take children within the catchment area. Is this the case if the school is full ?.

We arrive in Sydney at the start of the Easter break and therefore will not be able to see the schools until they return. This is causing us some difficulty as we could not commit to a rental property until the school confirms that the girls can enrol.

However, if they are legal obliged to accept children within the catchment this would reduce the risk slightly of renting a house within the catchment.

Do you have any advice on this ?.
We are in QLD, but I think it is the same rules on this.

We were told that extra teachers are brought in on day 1 of a new term, if enrolments exceed the expected figure.

Can you contact the schools direct to confirm this applies with them ?

Old Mar 30th 2004, 8:04 am
Just Joined

I have emailed the schools in the areas we are looking at with the same response 'talk to us when you hace secured a house within the catchment area'.

I intend phoning the various schools tonight to hopefully arrange interviews etc and will mention your point to them.

To be honest, this has been the most frustrating part of the move as it would appear that you can do very little until you actually arrive in Australia.

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
We are in QLD, but I think it is the same rules on this.

We were told that extra teachers are brought in on day 1 of a new term, if enrolments exceed the expected figure.

Can you contact the schools direct to confirm this applies with them ?
Old Mar 30th 2004, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

We moved to Sydney in Jan in time for the new school year. We'd held fire on deciding where to live, in case there was an issue with catchment areas.

In truth, we needn't have worried. It would appear most of the state (public) schools in Sydney have been losing pupils to the private sector and appear pleased when someone wants to enrol. You just need to get the school principal to OK the enrolment. Where you live appears to be optional, although from a logistical perspective, travel times can get extended significantly during school run times.

One extra step, if like us you come on a temp visa. You have to pay temp visa school fees to the temporary visa unit before you can officially enrol in a school (although, again, the actual schools don't appear to be too worried if the paperwork hasn't caught up before term starts)
Old Mar 30th 2004, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reassurance.

Yes, we will be arriving on a 457 sponsered visa and I am aware of the fees payment.

We are suffering the same confusion as yourselves......house first then school.......school first then house.......it is driving us mad !.

From looking at websites etc, it would appear that if you secure a house within the catchemnt area enrolment should be relatively straight forward. We are keen to get the girls into schooling as soon as possible to avoid the possibility of an extended holiday feeling creeping in, although the easter break will delay this slightly.

How are you finding the Australian Education system, I have heard both good and bad reports, but mainly good when relating to Sydney.

Originally posted by kevmitch
We moved to Sydney in Jan in time for the new school year. We'd held fire on deciding where to live, in case there was an issue with catchment areas.

In truth, we needn't have worried. It would appear most of the state (public) schools in Sydney have been losing pupils to the private sector and appear pleased when someone wants to enrol. You just need to get the school principal to OK the enrolment. Where you live appears to be optional, although from a logistical perspective, travel times can get extended significantly during school run times.

One extra step, if like us you come on a temp visa. You have to pay temp visa school fees to the temporary visa unit before you can officially enrol in a school (although, again, the actual schools don't appear to be too worried if the paperwork hasn't caught up before term starts)
Old Mar 30th 2004, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

So far so good. We're up on the Northern Beaches and my son's at Pittwater High. He's settled in very well - and already built up a large group of friends (most of whom seem to descend on us at the week-end)

We had our first parents evening last week. All the teachers were very positive and enthusiatic. They are committed to getting the best out of the kids and appear to be well in control. They regularly set and mark homework - and the academic standards appear very similar to the UK.

The teachers are a little more forthright in their comments. If they think things aren't happening as they want, they will let us and the kids know, which I find refreshing.

Class sizes seem OK. My son has classes that range from 14 to 24 - and I believe there is a max limit of 25.

If you want any further info, drop me a private mail. I don't know how old your daughter is, or where you're looking to live, but I did a fair amount of background research on high schools and catchment areas in the North Sydney/Northern beaches area which you're welcome to.

Cheers

kev