Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Public or Private Schools

Public or Private Schools

Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Brockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant future
Default Public or Private Schools

Has anyone who has moved over to Oz on a study visa put there child to Private School rather than public?? If so is the pricing structure the same way for Private do you have to pay $5000 per child yearly on top of the Private School fees???

Any advice would be appreciated!!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Public or Private Schools

Originally Posted by Brockies
Has anyone who has moved over to Oz on a study visa put there child to Private School rather than public?? If so is the pricing structure the same way for Private do you have to pay $5000 per child yearly on top of the Private School fees???

Not too sure about the pricing structure or the necessity to opt for a private school? I should imagine the Private school system is a tad expensive ........ in fact I know it is as our friends insisted their kids went to private school and there were always complaints about fees, cost of uniforms etc

Our three boys went to East Wanneroo Primary school and took no harm.

From there all three went to Woodvale Senior High school (public)............ and have ended up okay too.

Granted they didn't wear a posh blazer at Woodvale; but they obtained a great education and have all ended up okay.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Rachel69 will become famous soon enoughRachel69 will become famous soon enough

My friend pays about $15k per child per year for a private school.
My kids private school is about $6k per year but thats a Rudolf Steiner school.

You wont have to pay the $5000 government fee for public education on top of that, but depending on your visa etc you may have to pay overseas fees for your private school, which can be double the normal fees.

Also most schools give you a discount for additional siblings.

Last edited by Rachel69; Aug 1st 2007 at 8:41 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Brockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant future

Thanks guys

My thoughts were if I was paying $5000 each for there schooling and it never cost that much more for private well why not??
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:49 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

private is probably cheaper if you're on a 457 sponsored visa. It is for us in ACT!

Carmel
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Look at what you need? we've been here nearly two years now and our 3 boys were slightly older than most. ( 18, 16 and 12) Our eldest was 18 and went straight into uni here having just got his A levels inthe uk. The second had just got his GCSE's which don't even exsist here but helped to get him into a good school. We had hoped that our youngsest two would go into state schools like they had in the UK and save us some money but we looked at loads when we first arrived and very quickly decided that they would need to go private to get an equal education where we live. They both now go to the Peninsula School in Mt Eliza, they love it and are doing really well. But it is expensive, we have increased our mortgage over what we would have liked to compensate. But for us this was a small price to pay for the boys education, happiness (they have settled and have made really good friends, not snobby ones either!) and are totally at ease with life here. Would any of them choose to go back, no way, and neither would we. For us that says a lot. Many kids do well in state schools but if your kids have high expectations or special needs then the private sector is probably for you. Ours always wanted to go to uni and still do, they are happy with where they are but you must look at what your children want rather than what you think they should have. If you can afford it you will probably not regret the cost of a private education, but if your kids are small this will be considerable unless your catholic ( or don't mind) and sent them to a church school. The school fees are just the beginning, the will need uniform, sports equipment, trips, laptops, etc etc etc.
Our youngest 2 probably cost us $30,000 a year at least between them and that is probably an under estimate. For us however its worth every cent. Even if I do have to work until I'm 70!!!
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the rough

hi..just read svqs dont count in oz.Moving to brissy in september and 16 year old hoping to continue education for another 2 years and go to uni.Is it best i send him to private ed?ANY advice very much appreciated.thanx
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

southrick is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you going to studying in Australia Brockies?

I am leaving in September to Melbourne for a 2 year course with my family.

I will be putting my children into a public school recommended by a friend who grew up in Melbourne. Her advice was that as long as you pick the right school, then it isn't too important until secondary age.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the rough

Hi Southrick
Australian Brockies? can u tell me what that is
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

deano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud of

Interesting thread. We're aways away from making the move but educating our two boys (8 & 12) is probably my biggest concern. (the rest will sort itself out eventually).

My main concern is the 8 yr old. He's quite bright. I'm not saying gifted or anything like that, but his teacher thinks he's 2 years ahead in English & maths than his peers. He just likes academic work and does Kumon because he wants to and likes it.

So my concern/question is whether he'll be left drifting in the system in Oz. He'd certainly want to be with his own age group as he's a sociable lad, so not sure what the answer will be. I have the same concerns about the UK, but understand the system a bit better and know that I'll probably have to flog the family heirlooms to pay for private.

Any thoughts?

Tks
-d
Old Aug 4th 2007, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by southrick
Are you going to studying in Australia Brockies?

I am leaving in September to Melbourne for a 2 year course with my family.

I will be putting my children into a public school recommended by a friend who grew up in Melbourne. Her advice was that as long as you pick the right school, then it isn't too important until secondary age.
Hey Southrick

Yeah my husband will be studying in Queensland Sunshine Coast to start in February 2008 for 2 years also. We were recommended a really good state school but there is a catchment area and the houses are very few and far between so I was just looking at my options. My kids are only 6 and 9!!

Are you looking forward to Melbourne in September?? How have you found trying to cost everything up with study fees, school fees, medicare and rent etc??
Old Aug 4th 2007, 11:21 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you had to pay the government school fees even if you chose to send your kids privately
Old Aug 5th 2007, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

CarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant future

[My main concern is the 8 yr old. He's quite bright. I'm not saying gifted or anything like that, but his teacher thinks he's 2 years ahead in English & maths than his peers. He just likes academic work and does Kumon because he wants to and likes it.]

Hi. If you are considering Sydney/NSW it may help you to know that some government primary schools here have selective classes for years 5 and 6 called "opportunity classes". They were established for 'gifted and talented' education; your son sounds like he would stand a good chance of a place.

http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/learni...cplacement.php

'Acceleration' - bumping up a year - is also sometimes suggested for a quick learner, but bear in mind that, at least in the affluent parts of Sydney, many kids (boys especially) are held back off school for a year longer than the official dates would suggest. (Parents want them to be socially ready or to give them an 'age advantage'.) So you can find that slotting your kids into the official year actually puts them in a class with generally older kids.

Hope this helps. Don't be put off by the 'gifted and talented' label if your son needs a faster pace than others.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

There is Kumon here too

http://www.kumon.com.au/home/
Old Aug 5th 2007, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

deano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies.

It is likely we'll head for the Sydney area and we'll definitely check out this link. The boys will be 'delighted' to hear there is Kumon in Oz too

-d

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.