Reload this Page >

Public or Private education?

Public or Private education?

Old Dec 21st 2002, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Public or Private education?

Hi there,

I know there has recently been a post on education but my query is about the cost of this. We're looking at Brisbane and the surrounding areas and also Adelaide (when we finally move out!).

Can anyone tell me roughly what it would cost per child to send them private (per year). We're still not sure where we are going and haven't phoned around yet but it would be interesting to know and consider.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.

Ginny
Old Dec 21st 2002, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Matt & Jo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ginny,

We are thinking of sending our daughter to Private school, have looked in to some in Perth they are approx $10-12,000 per year .

Here's a good site that was recommended through this NG
www.aussiemove.com

It tells you about schools and some have links etc so you can contact them. Good luck.

Love Jo x
Old Dec 21st 2002, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Try this site for all the info on Queensland's schools
www.education.qld.gov.au/schools/

It is an excellent site click on schools directories and it will list all of the state or private schools in each district. You can then go on to their web sites for further info.

In Mooloolaba district ( Sunshine Coast), it costs around $3500 for primary age child P.A and $5500 for a secondary age child P.A. (Sunshine Coast Grammar, Martin Flinders College etc)

They give discounts for 2 or more at the same school.

I must say around this area the state and private schools look very impressive, well the web sites do anyway. Keep searching you can spend hours on that site!

Best of luck

Tina
Old Dec 27th 2002, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Matt & Jo
Hi Ginny,

We are thinking of sending our daughter to Private school, have looked in to some in Perth they are approx $10-12,000 per year .

Here's a good site that was recommended through this NG
www.aussiemove.com

It tells you about schools and some have links etc so you can contact them. Good luck.

Love Jo x
Hi folks,

Thanks for the info, it's been a great help. Are you guys all set to go are still waiting? We're still looking at where to go, either Adelaide or Brisbane area.

Thanks for your help

Ginny
Old Dec 27th 2002, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We won't be going out until this time next year at the earliest, mind you it will take that long to sort everything out.
I think we will go around a few schools when we arive to get a feel for them, before we decide.
We really liked the Sunshine Coast, especially Caloundra and Marychoodyore (excuse spelling). The locals were really friendly and invited us on their boat for the day after we had chatted for half an hour!
How about you?

Tina
Old Dec 27th 2002, 9:26 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
We won't be going out until this time next year at the earliest, mind you it will take that long to sort everything out.
I think we will go around a few schools when we arive to get a feel for them, before we decide.
We really liked the Sunshine Coast, especially Caloundra and Marychoodyore (excuse spelling). The locals were really friendly and invited us on their boat for the day after we had chatted for half an hour!
How about you?

Tina

Hey Tina,
My wife fell in love with the sunshine coast and would move to Mooloolaba tomorrow if she could. I prefered slightly inland into the mountains [more breeze]. Spoke to my folks who are in Mooloolaba Marina for a few months on Christmas day and couldn't hear a word for the rain drumming on the hull of the boat, still the rain won't have come soon enough for a lot of the farmers. We're hoping for early Dec next year but anything can happen yet.
Old Dec 28th 2002, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default Re: Public or Private education?

Originally posted by Ginny
Hi there,

I know there has recently been a post on education but my query is about the cost of this. We're looking at Brisbane and the surrounding areas and also Adelaide (when we finally move out!).

Can anyone tell me roughly what it would cost per child to send them private (per year). We're still not sure where we are going and haven't phoned around yet but it would be interesting to know and consider.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.

Ginny
ginny, probably the best site for independent (private) schools would be www.isd.com.au (the isd standards for Internet Schools Directory I think). This lists all the private schools, and you just click on the area you are interested in and then either ring/fax/email the individual school for details - some schools have their own websites with all the info on, but not all.

The fees can vary enormously, and I don't think it always follows that the most expensive are necessarily the best. For example, a fairly new private school near Brisbane, John Paul College, promotes itself very heavily with typical Aussie bullshit style, is very expensive, yet many of the locals wouldn't send their kids there. On the other hand, there is a supposedly excellent (I say supposedly because people who live around here rate it very highly, although I have yet to visit it myself) private school just up the road from us which charges far less than JPC.

IF (big if still!) we stay, then our children will definitely be going to private school next year - even if I have to rob a bank to pay for it!!!
Old Dec 28th 2002, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by tinaj
How about you?

Tina
Hi Tina,

I've never been to Oz before but my hubby has so he's got a better idea than me. We're going to validate our visas next June and hope to travel to Adelaide and Brisbane and the surrounding areas. Not entirely sure what will suit us. we don't necessarily need a big city but more importantly a place with a reasonably sized hospital (Both nurses).

Thanks Pommiesheila as well for the link, I'll check it out. Some threads have mentioned getting extra tuition but not sure how that would work.

Thanks again folks and anything else let me know.

Regards

Ginny
Old Dec 28th 2002, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Adelaide's hospitals seems vrey big and very well thought of. I beliece they are expanding rapidly. I'm sure you've already seen these sites..

http://www.rah.sa.gov.au/homepage.php
http://www.nwahs.sa.gov.au

especially the Lyell McEwin Hospital/Healthcare

Good luck.
Mash..

Originally posted by Ginny
Hi Tina,

Not entirely sure what will suit us. we don't necessarily need a big city but more importantly a place with a reasonably sized hospital (Both nurses).

Regards

Ginny
Old Dec 28th 2002, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by mashiraz
Adelaide's hospitals seems vrey big and very well thought of. I beliece they are expanding rapidly. I'm sure you've already seen these sites..

http://www.rah.sa.gov.au/homepage.php
http://www.nwahs.sa.gov.au

especially the Lyell McEwin Hospital/Healthcare

Good luck.
Mash..
Hi there Mash,

No I don't think I've got those links but I'll certainly be checking them out. Hope you had a nice Christmas and New Year brings you what you want.

Ginny
Old Dec 29th 2002, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Just a couple of Brisbane Schools that I can recall.

Brisbane Boys College http://www.bbc.qld.edu.au/
All Hallows Girls School http://www.allhallows.qld.edu.au/

Also I found this generic search site http://www.isd.com.au/srchbri.htm
Old Dec 30th 2002, 3:50 pm
Magnetic Member

magnetman is on a distinguished road

If you can play the left footed card then Catholic schools are a fair bit cheaper than equivalent non catholic. They must put more $$$'s in the collection plate.

Old Dec 30th 2002, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by magnetman
If you can play the left footed card then Catholic schools are a fair bit cheaper than equivalent non catholic. They must put more $$$'s in the collection plate.

I had thought along those lines myself, but not sure if I wanted my two (CofE) having to say their Hail Marys every day...