British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   public liability in aus... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/public-liability-aus-496281/)

aston man Nov 26th 2007 6:50 am

public liability in aus...

i know i cant spell it but do you have to have it?

i am working on an abn for someone else,whos subbing the job off the main contractor.....
there are public below where we are working,so i need to know if i need it...

with thanks

aston

gotahavit Nov 26th 2007 7:31 am

Re: public liability in aus...

hi mate if there is anyone working around you and you value everything you have spent your life working for i suggest you get yourself public liability, if you were to injure someone or worse still kill them and you were solely at fault you would loose everything you have . i found a company last year that gave me 5,000,000 cover for under $500 i will pm you the details

rodandhayley Nov 26th 2007 8:08 am

you can ge 10 mill cover for 430 if your a HIA member

you would need 10 mill if you ever want to tender for your own work off a main contractor

aston man Nov 26th 2007 8:17 am

were working on a skyscaper...renewing the old brickwork..in a cradle....

jeez its gonna costa fortune...

thanks for the help chaps..

king kong Nov 26th 2007 9:49 am

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 5601096)
were working on a skyscaper...renewing the old brickwork..in a cradle....

jeez its gonna costa fortune...

thanks for the help chaps..

It isnt so much the cost of public liability ,but the cost of workers comp per man you have to worry about .
Used to be if you were employing in the construction trade that you had to give policy numbers before issuing of cheques ,this has fell by the way side while the boom has been on .
I will give you an example , a good friend of mine used to do all the shop fitouts for Maccas here in WA back in 92 he employed a young fellow who went on to hurt his back .
My friend forgot about his workers comp insurance and he got took to the cleaners for the tune of 150000 ,this represented 20 years work for him and his wife and children ,they ended up losing their house etc .
Public liability and compo insurance are something you cant do without here in aussie .

cresta57 Nov 26th 2007 11:04 am

Originally Posted by rodandhayley (Post 5601070)
you can ge 10 mill cover for 430 if your a HIA member

you would need 10 mill if you ever want to tender for your own work off a main contractor

What trade is that for Rod?
My quote from them was >$900 for 10 mill as a tiler. Suncorp do 10mill for just over $800 so I went with them.

Marcus, You really need to check something like this out through the proper channels, it could cost you everything you own if your misinformed.
I employ blokes here in QLD as labour only tilers, if they do work from start to finish i.e without me being on site I won't employ them if they can't supply a valid certificate. If I tender to new companies they usually require a fax copy of my licence as well as a copy of my public liability.
This is QLD though, where people are considered to stupid to change a plug on their own:ohmy: