British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The Public Holiday numbers are very wrong (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/public-holiday-numbers-very-wrong-564567/)

Mr Grumpy Oct 1st 2008 1:33 am

The Public Holiday numbers are very wrong

http://britishexpats.com/articles/au.../better-in-oz/

I am not sure where the figures for all of these public holidays came from, but you most certainly are not entitled to 21 working days of Govt mandated public holidays per annum in Tasmania. Nor 16 in NT. You are not even entitled to 11 in NSW - It is in fact 9.

In NSW you legally are entitled to the following:

01/01 - New Year's Day
26/01 - Australia Day
Easter Period - Good Friday, Easter Monday
25/04 - ANZAC Day
June - Queen's Birthday
October - Labour Day
25/12 - Christmas Day
26/12 - Boxing Day

There is a 10th public holiday *BUT* only for Financial Sector workers and that is the first monday in August and thats the NSW Bank Holiday.

Easter Saturday is only a public holiday for those who are permanently rostered to work Saturdays.

So you could only get 11 public holidays if:

1.You were a financial sector worker
2.You were permanently rostered to work saturdays

And as for 21 in Tasmania?? Thats just complete rubbish! There are only 10 legal entitlements at state level. The other holidays are regional/local or depend upon what legislative award you work under. Often you have no legal entitlement and it is at the discretion of the employer:

http://www.wst.tas.gov.au/__data/ass...74098/2008.pdf

bcworld Oct 1st 2008 1:45 am

Re: The Public Holiday numbers are very wrong

In Qld next year we will get 9 public holidays as Anzac day falls on a Saturday and is not replaced with a weekday holiday.

I also like:

"Fortunately for Aussies, cheap groceries and petrol are an everyday delight."

:rofl:

Some good maths too:

1.49 - 1.42 = 0.06

3.02 - 2.65 = 1.37

Who wrote this crap!!??

Pollyana Oct 1st 2008 3:09 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 6834690)

Who wrote this crap!!??

"written by Visa Bureau" ....................

now they wouldn't have a vested interest in making the place look good, would they...

stepbeanie Oct 1st 2008 3:16 am

There also used to be Hairdressers picnic day which was around Melbourne cup day, if not Melbourne cup day itself. That was a holiday for hairdressers (see it's not only financial folk who make special days for themselves :rofl:)

Mr Grumpy Oct 1st 2008 3:20 am

God that sucks, though I do expect that from QLD. That state doesnt have good work/life balance. I work for a Uni in NSW we have a 35hr work week, 15-20 sick days per year(depending on length of service) and for my Uni and several others we get the 3 working days between boxing day and new years day as free extra leave.

At most Unis in QLD you work 36.25-38 hrs per week, get 10 sick days a year and rarely do you get free leave at xmas. If there is an xmas shutdown they force you to take annual leave or leave without pay.

Pollyana Oct 1st 2008 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy (Post 6834804)
God that sucks, though I do expect that from QLD. That state doesnt have good work/life balance. I work for a Uni in NSW we have a 35hr work week, 15-20 sick days per year(depending on length of service) and for my Uni and several others we get the 3 working days between boxing day and new years day as free extra leave.

At most Unis in QLD you work 36.25-38 hrs per week, get 10 sick days a year and rarely do you get free leave at xmas. If there is an xmas shutdown they force you to take annual leave or leave without pay.

Same in the govt here. They close the offices between Christmas and New Year and you have to use your holiday on it.

NJJ Oct 1st 2008 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy (Post 6834678)

LOL @ "In the UK, along with the standard annual leave provided by employers, workers are given eight annual public holidays from the government. In Australia, be prepared to put your feet up for longer. Most workplaces give the same leave entitlements as UK companies, but the Australian government has been slightly more generous. :lol:

If I was still at my last job in England I had 25 days paid leave per annum, incremental to 30 depending on length of service. I worked 6am-2pm with 30min lunch. In 2009 I would have 8 bank/public holidays.

In Victoria I have 20 days paid leave per annum, no increment. I work 7am-4pm 1 hour lunch. In 2009 I am entitled to 10 public holidays.

I agree with pollyana, blatant propaganda.

tictac Oct 1st 2008 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy (Post 6834804)
God that sucks, though I do expect that from QLD. That state doesnt have good work/life balance.

Same applies @ my firm (Top 3 IT Services Co.)

It sucks big time and is one of my primary reasons for planning to return to the UK once/if citizenship is granted.

20 days annual leave of which 12 must be taken during the Xmas shutdown. Not much use to me if OH has to work during this period (QHealth)

So much for family holidays :sad_smile:

Queensland - The Dictatorship State

goldchoccycoin Oct 1st 2008 10:30 am

Actually, I've just been told (QLD Gov job) that I get Xmas Day, Boxing Day as public holiday, 29th and 30th as 'extra' holiday on top of my usual allowance, NYE, NY Day as public holiday and the Friday I have to take as holiday/time in lieu.

I thought that was great! 1 day's holiday for 7 days off!

DownUnderPaddy Oct 1st 2008 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 6834788)
"written by Visa Bureau" ....................

now they wouldn't have a vested interest in making the place look good, would they...

Agreed. I thought this was a HILARIOUSLY rose tinted version :rofl:

I pity the poor suckers who actually believe what was written in that article and base their move on it though.

Mr Grumpy Oct 1st 2008 10:44 am

Originally Posted by tking (Post 6835339)
Actually, I've just been told (QLD Gov job) that I get Xmas Day, Boxing Day as public holiday, 29th and 30th as 'extra' holiday on top of my usual allowance, NYE, NY Day as public holiday and the Friday I have to take as holiday/time in lieu.

I thought that was great! 1 day's holiday for 7 days off!

Yeah I have the same deal - 29th,30th and 31st is 'xmas bonus leave'

And of course the public holidays 25th,26th and 1st. The same with me for friday the 2nd, I dont have to take it off but if I do it is out of my annual leave which is fair enough.

So I am having 11 days off in a row including weekends with just 1 day of annual leave used up.

However I expect this as I work for a Uni:thumbsup:

There would be no point working for a Uni without some benefits:D

Just on your deal, I would say NYE - 31st is 'extra leave' too as no state or territory has NYE as a proclaimed public holiday.

Sue Oct 1st 2008 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy (Post 6835340)
I pity the poor suckers who actually believe what was written in that article and base their move on it though.

So why not write one yourself? We are always looking for members to write about their new lives abroad. If you want to share how it's been for you that would be great. There are many articles in the article section written by other BE members. After all you can't beat reading about peoples first-hand experiences, its a great way to get a "feel" for things.

Pollyana Oct 1st 2008 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy (Post 6835340)
Agreed. I thought this was a HILARIOUSLY rose tinted version :rofl:

People will though, same as they believe all the hype on programmes like Wanted Down Under, and think they are coming to a crime free paradise, with sunshine all year round.

Oliveoil Oct 1st 2008 1:26 pm

Those Down Under programmes make my teeth itch

"oooh lets show you this fab house - way out of your budget but we will show it you anyway"

"and hark, look at the beach! it will be too hot to go on it between 9am and 4pm, but we will show it you anyway"

and most of them come home :D

bcworld Oct 1st 2008 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 6835657)
So why not write one yourself? We are always looking for members to write about their new lives abroad. If you want to share how it's been for you that would be great. There are many articles in the article section written by other BE members. After all you can't beat reading about peoples first-hand experiences, its a great way to get a "feel" for things.

What would be better Sue is if the article pages allowed members to add comments, to which of course the author could also respond.