British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Public Education, Healthcare, and Safety (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/public-education-healthcare-safety-825072/)

HighAsia Feb 15th 2014 2:48 am

Public Education, Healthcare, and Safety

I am looking at the possibility of migrating to Australia (Perth) after living in the US for over 12 years (first as a Student, currently a PR and soon to be a US citizen). I am married and have two elementary school children.

Is the quality of Australian public schools better than the US public schools? Do they provide free education until high school like in the US?

Is the Australian healthcare system better than the US? How is it compare to Canada?

How safe are the Australian cities? How is Perth compared to Chicago, Detroit or even Houston?

Mike at Taree Feb 15th 2014 5:26 am

Re: Public Education, Healthcare, and Safety

I've never been to the USA but schools are free, with the option of private schooling as in the USA. Healthcare is excellent by any first world standards.

Safety, well it depends where you live and what you do. I've never been mugged or assaulted in my life, never suffered a burglary or had my car broken into and kept my bicycle propped up against the side of the house next to the back door for years. I live in a quiet beachside suburb of a small regional city and don't usually lock my car.

If I lived in Sydney or Melbourne it would be a bit different I'm sure. From what I see in the media, places like Detroit, Baltimore etc sound quite alarming.

Perth residents may like to respond to the safety issue. Just as in the USA there are "ghettos" of disadvantaged people in some areas, often living in public housing where there are people with drug and mental issues and these areas are best avoided. Also in Australia there is a worrying trend of younger people congregating in inner city restaurant and club districts at weekends to binge drink and cause law and order problems. I understand that this doesn't happen so much in the USA.

Jilliebee Feb 15th 2014 5:35 am

Although schooling is advertised as 'free' it has recently cost us just under $2000 to send our daughter to a public high school. By the time you pay for compulsory uniform, books, stationery, class fees and net books it is not cheap. Also depending on your visa type you may have to pay international fees.

Can't comment on comparisons to US though as I've never lived there x

TimbersBack Feb 15th 2014 8:52 pm

Aside from the fact Perth is now considered one of the most expensive cities in the world to live.

verystormy Feb 17th 2014 2:54 am

I am in Perth. I have never seen a "ghetto" of disadvataged people. Thats after 6 years. There are suburbs i would prefer not to live in, but there not that bad.

Crime is significantly less than the USA. We have crime, but it is no where near on a scale. For example a mugging can still make front page news.

Healthcare is very good. It is pretty much a free system and the treatment i have received - including as an in patient in hospital has been excellent. A visit to a GP may cost, depending on the GP. Some are known as bulk bill so are free, most now charge a fee of about $30.

Dorothy Feb 17th 2014 4:37 am

Originally Posted by HighAsia (Post 11130644)
I am looking at the possibility of migrating to Australia (Perth) after living in the US for over 12 years (first as a Student, currently a PR and soon to be a US citizen). I am married and have two elementary school children.

Is the quality of Australian public schools better than the US public schools? Do they provide free education until high school like in the US?

Is the Australian healthcare system better than the US? How is it compare to Canada?

How safe are the Australian cities? How is Perth compared to Chicago, Detroit or even Houston?

Did you ever look to see whether you actually qualify for a visa to live in Australia? I gave you the link a few weeks ago in the US forum. In case you don't still have it the link is www.immi.gov.au

fish.01 Feb 17th 2014 11:10 am

Originally Posted by TimbersBack (Post 11131517)
Aside from the fact Perth is now considered one of the most expensive cities in the world to live.

Is that taking wages into account ?...most of the "most expensive" comparisons don't...

HighAsia Feb 23rd 2014 2:01 am

Thank you all for the valuable information!

Dorothy, As long as I take the IELTS test and score enough to get 10 points for English language, I am qualified for 189 Visa. Business Analyst and Systems Analyst are in the high demand list and those are what I have been doing for the last 6+ years.

old.sparkles Feb 23rd 2014 2:08 am

Originally Posted by HighAsia (Post 11143482)
Thank you all for the valuable information!

Dorothy, As long as I take the IELTS test and score enough to get 10 points for English language, I am qualified for 189 Visa. Business Analyst and Systems Analyst are in the high demand list and those are what I have been doing for the last 6+ years.

Both those occupations are currently on rationed invitations as they are oversubscribed. Lastest round of invitations showed the lowest point score for 2611 group was 70 points.

HighAsia Feb 23rd 2014 2:22 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11143490)
Both those occupations are currently on rationed invitations as they are oversubscribed. Lastest round of invitations showed the lowest point score for 2611 group was 70 points.

You are telling me that if I score less than 70 points, then my chances to receive an invitation to apply is slim to none, right? With the 10 points for English language, I was getting 65 points. But I do have 8+ years of experience in Information Technology area, but not as a BA or SA.

I may have to try the "state sponsor" route or study really hard for IELTS and try to get 20 points for language.

neil248 Feb 23rd 2014 2:42 am

Find out how many teachers at your local state school send their own children to private schools. That may give you an idea of the state system.

old.sparkles Feb 23rd 2014 2:50 am

Originally Posted by HighAsia (Post 11143501)
You are telling me that if I score less than 70 points, then my chances to receive an invitation to apply is slim to none, right? With the 10 points for English language, I was getting 65 points. But I do have 8+ years of experience in Information Technology area, but not as a BA or SA.

I may have to try the "state sponsor" route or study really hard for IELTS and try to get 20 points for language.

Have you also looked at what would be needed to pass the skills assessment in both these occupations - being assessed by ACS they require a minimum of 2 years relevant experience to be deemed skilled (which means 2 years less that you can claim points on).

As restricted occupations, I'm not sure which, if any, states are still offering sponsorship - and you would have to meet any additional criteria they specify.

But getting all 8's in IELTS is one option to boost points and certainly doable for native English speakers :)

That all said - the occupation limits will be reset at the start of the new financial year so who knows what will happen then

Molly Coddle Feb 23rd 2014 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by TimbersBack (Post 11131517)

Would you say it was more expensive than Sydney?

Dorothy Feb 23rd 2014 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle (Post 11144368)
Would you say it was more expensive than Sydney?

Yes.

Molly Coddle Feb 24th 2014 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11144786)
Yes.

Wow, now that has surprised me!

I thought Sydney was supposed to be the most expensive city in the world? When did Perth take claim to this title?