Reload this Page >

public b-b-q's? I'm a bit puzzled

Wikiposts

public b-b-q's? I'm a bit puzzled

Old Dec 28th 2003, 9:12 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Question public b-b-q's? I'm a bit puzzled

I've heard about these b-b-q's out in parks and at the beach etc. All very nice but who washes up? Is there a sink? A dishwasher? A little man who takes it all away?

I'm a bit puzzled so could someone enlighten me?
Old Dec 28th 2003, 9:18 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

most are brick box , with gas on to a steel tray. Not that much to clean yourself..
Old Dec 28th 2003, 9:59 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I remember you have 2 sorts. (I lived in WA for a while as a child)
One is just a fire one. So collect you wood (or it's piled there, but usually not) and light it.
The other is electric. usually you have to put 20 cents in.

The 'plate' of the BBQ is dirty of course. As far as I remember we cleaned them with newspaper. Scrunch up newspaper and rub it over it.
Hmmm, sounds disgusting now, but that's how everyone did it as far as I remember.

Now I've got some examples for you! lol (I've scanned all the pics of when we lived in Oz!)

The first is a wood BBQ at King's Park in Perth.
That is 1987 by the way. Maybe they have different ones now!
Attached Thumbnails public b-b-q's? I'm a bit puzzled-1989_36_bbq.jpg  
Old Dec 28th 2003, 10:03 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

The dishes etc you just take home with you.
And there's usually a tap around, so I guess you can rinse some stuff.

Well, here's the second pic.
A BBQ somewhere in the south west. Very primitive. I think this was a campsite.
That's me and my brother by the way. Again 1987!

I'll go see if I can find one of a gas BBQ, and maybe a more recent one (I'm bored!)
Attached Thumbnails public b-b-q's? I'm a bit puzzled-1989_152_bbq.jpg  
Old Dec 28th 2003, 10:05 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

right, o.k then.. a bit clearer now. Thanks.

But the trays must get really filthy as most people won't clean them properly and what with the flies etc it's a bad gut scenario waiting to happen isn't it?!!
Old Dec 28th 2003, 10:19 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by TraceyW
right, o.k then.. a bit clearer now. Thanks.

But the trays must get really filthy as most people won't clean them properly and what with the flies etc it's a bad gut scenario waiting to happen isn't it?!!
I guess.....

Maybe when you light it/turn it on, the heat makes the bacteria etc die?
And maybe also the method is to throw lots of water over it too, and then sort of rub it clean...???

Well, can't find anymore except these two( a bit hazy). (This is I think Horrocks Beach Caravan in WA, 1990)
The front one (half barrel) is quite common (we had one in our own garden. Though not as rusty as this one!!)
The back one is also a wood one, I think
Well, I can't really help with the cleaning side, but at least you've got some examples of some public BBQ's!
Attached Thumbnails public b-b-q's? I'm a bit puzzled-1990_94_bbq.jpg  
Old Dec 28th 2003, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of
Default Re: public b-b-q's? I'm a bit puzzled

Originally posted by TraceyW
I've heard about these b-b-q's out in parks and at the beach etc. All very nice but who washes up? Is there a sink? A dishwasher? A little man who takes it all away?

I'm a bit puzzled so could someone enlighten me?
On the Gold Coast the council comes round and cleans them every morning, but they are kept clean, working and grafitti free by the people who use them. Pretty civilised, huh?
Old Dec 28th 2003, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

We normally just fire them up, they get hot & we pour water on & scrape them sending the gunk down the hole in the middle. Seems to work okay & no dodgy tummies yet! Had a bbq down at Burns beach on Boxing day morning - lovely!

Loopy
Old Dec 28th 2003, 11:01 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Loopy
scrape them sending the gunk down the hole in the middle. Loopy

mental note to those going 'out' soon - pack a robust wallpaper scraper in your luggage, not in the container, to scrape down the public barbie!!!!
I had one, and fellow travellers (spesh the new uns) thought I was barmy!
Did I mention I was a brownie as a kid???

sue
Old Dec 28th 2003, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

We bought one in the UK, never used it so brought it with us. 99p from Wilkinsons & everyone one wants it! Now, there's a tip!

Loopy

(That's if Mr Loopy can get it out of the car before super speedy MR Dianeoz wizzo on the bbq starts cooking!)
Old Dec 28th 2003, 11:21 am
Tyke and now an Aussie

NoodleSYD is an unknown quantity at this point

The ones in Sydney I've used (Bronte Beach) are coin operated. It fires up a timed gas or electric burner under the big steel plate. It's all enclosed and you don't have to bring your own fuel. I just wait until the plate is smoking before i start cooking - not even Australian bugs can survive that. You get about 20 minutes cooking out of each coin I think.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 10:29 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by Loopy
We normally just fire them up, they get hot & we pour water on & scrape them sending the gunk down the hole in the middle. Seems to work okay & no dodgy tummies yet! Had a bbq down at Burns beach on Boxing day morning - lovely!

Loopy
That's right, we scraped em too! Forgot! Now, I can't seem to remember when the newspaper came in, but that happened too!