Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

psych nursing advice melbourne

psych nursing advice melbourne

Old Oct 31st 2012, 2:47 am
Just Joined

sundrive is just really nicesundrive is just really nicesundrive is just really nicesundrive is just really nicesundrive is just really nicesundrive is just really nicesundrive is just really nicesundrive is just really nice
Default psych nursing advice melbourne

Hi folks,
After spending many months reading really informative posts on here I have finally taken the plunge and registered
I am hoping to go to Melbourne next year possibly, I have offshore skilled independent permanent residency and I am a mental health nurse with about 5-6 years experience.I am currently working in Dublin but I have previously worked in Australia as a mental health nurse and thus maintained my registration which is now under APHRA.
Now AS its been about 6 years since I have been in Oz I am wondering if somebody can give me the heads up on what services are like in Melbourne.Which hospitals are recruiting psych nurses and which hospitals would you recommend working in? I believe the royal melbourne has or at least had a really good reputation,is that still so?also are forensicare good to work for and safe for that matter?is it worth registering with the likes of swingshift or PCC?I do realise that the cost of living has gone up massively since i was there last.How much should I expect to earn as a 5-6 years qualified mental health nurse and how much tax should i expect to pay?
Also would you recommend working in the private or public service?
Any advice or hints would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Old Oct 31st 2012, 3:52 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: psych nursing advice melbourne

Originally Posted by sundrive
Hi folks,
After spending many months reading really informative posts on here I have finally taken the plunge and registered
I am hoping to go to Melbourne next year possibly, I have offshore skilled independent permanent residency and I am a mental health nurse with about 5-6 years experience.I am currently working in Dublin but I have previously worked in Australia as a mental health nurse and thus maintained my registration which is now under APHRA.
Now AS its been about 6 years since I have been in Oz I am wondering if somebody can give me the heads up on what services are like in Melbourne.Which hospitals are recruiting psych nurses and which hospitals would you recommend working in? I believe the royal melbourne has or at least had a really good reputation,is that still so?also are forensicare good to work for and safe for that matter?is it worth registering with the likes of swingshift or PCC?I do realise that the cost of living has gone up massively since i was there last.How much should I expect to earn as a 5-6 years qualified mental health nurse and how much tax should i expect to pay?
Thanks in advance
Hi sundrive and welcome to the forum.

I can't give you any advice on your query but I'm sure someone will be along who can. I expect they are at work at the mo.

Hope you enjoy B.E. but as you will discover, most people who post on here, including me, could probably do with the services of a psych nurse!

Just kidding. Any problems with the site or finding your way about you can PM me here.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,
Thanks in advance
Always short staffed.... Just jump in and ring the very approacable Eric at Swingshift on 9481 7222 and see what he recommends.

Wife's a Pysch nurse... she actually looks after the rehabilitation program at the Royal Melbourne now, so does 9-5 3 days a week at John Cade ward. Plenty of Brit/Irish nurses there, so it will feel like your at home to some degree. In fact she is one of the few Aussies there.

I'll see if it's ok to ring The HoD.... Who is Irish herself and runs the department, for you.

Pay should be in the region of a minimum 65 to 75 K...(includes shift allowance/penalty) Plus Salary package benefits which increases your take home pay by 15 pct... which means that 70k salary is really worth at least 80k.... You just have to allocate that 15 pct to mortgage and or Meals and Entertainment.

There are a few Nurses there with your experience that chase the OT and are clocking close to 100k.... Nights and Weekends and the odd double shift.

I'll show my wife your post tonight and will get back if there are any other tips she can provide.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 31st 2012 at 4:18 am.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

sundrive is just really nicesundrive is just really nicesundrive is just really nicesundrive is just really nicesundrive is just really nicesundrive is just really nicesundrive is just really nicesundrive is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: psych nursing advice melbourne

thanks for the replies so far gentlemen,much appreciated Sherlock.
ozzieeagle thanks ever so much for your advice.I would be really grateful of any contacts and hints and tips that you have. the royal Melbourne sounds like the type of place id like to work at.I must find out if they are actively recruiting at present or if they will be recruiting in the new year.any thoughts on how the public compares to the private sector these days.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 12:05 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

All part of the service. But thank you for the thanks.

You have karma, you are welcome to return it.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

ozzieeagle thanks ever so much for your advice.I would be really grateful of any contacts and hints and tips that you have. the royal Melbourne sounds like the type of place id like to work at.I must find out if they are actively recruiting at present or if they will be recruiting in the new year.any thoughts on how the public compares to the private sector these days.
Will pm you with some indepth information tomorrow.... Meanwhile I'll PM you a phone number for the head of department.... Who my wife assures me is very approachable and very freindly.... I can vouch for that personally.

There is a certain person that handles all the overseas recrutment for the whole of the NW region of Melbourne and my Wife is trying to remember his name. Be sure to give Eric Smith at Swingshift in case there are even better options than the Royal Melbourne.

So in the meantime, work out your questions and give the PM'd number a buzz...
Old Oct 31st 2012, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Great stuff ozzieeagle,ill hopefully be able to access the pm now as this is my 3rd post and looks like you need at least 3 posts to access pm's.