British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   PSS or John Masons??? who do you choose? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/pss-john-masons-who-do-you-choose-316226/)

parkhigh Jul 26th 2005 8:14 pm

PSS or John Masons??? who do you choose?

Hi
I posted this response on crown relocations but it appears to have got a little lost. I really need to make a decision in the next few days so would appreciate some help....

I have had quotes from the standard 5 but am now undecided whether to go with pss or masons. I received a quote from masons tonight which suprisingly is actually cheaper than pss, although i am checking it out!

out of the two companies who would you recommend? and why?
I need to make a decision fairly swiftly as i am completing all going well on 26th august and its a busy time.
Any help gratefully appreciated.
Irene

Centurion Jul 26th 2005 8:23 pm

Re: PSS or John Masons??? who do you choose?

We're going with PSS. The quotes we've received are all about the muchness really give or take. PSS seem to have a good reputation, I liked the fact they are a family business and will be packing themselves and not sub contracting it out.

The chap from PSS put himself out for us to explain everything in great detail and nothing seemed too much bother.

We didnt get a quote from Masons just a few others but a thumbs up here for PSS anyway.

parkhigh Jul 26th 2005 8:31 pm

thanks for the speedy reply, we asked pss for a quote prior to our house sale falling through beginning of the year. i quite liked the chap thought he was friendly. today we had john masons a guy called rob punnett, again a very nice man who seemed very friendly. I got a good feel really for them both so do i just go on price?

masons pack themselves here and subcontract out in australia to ridgeways. i think that these are ok but would appreciate feedback from all.
thanks irene

<")))>< Jul 26th 2005 9:15 pm

Hi Parkhigh,

Got the same dilemma, although Crown have yet to quote us.

Who came out cheaper for you guys, PSS or JM (if you don't mind me asking?)

fraser Jul 26th 2005 9:17 pm

PSS, althoug Masons were cheaper for a reefer but PSS were cheaper for a part container.

Both seemed very good.

Storini Jul 26th 2005 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by parkhigh
masons pack themselves here and subcontract out in australia to ridgeways. i think that these are ok but would appreciate feedback from all.
thanks irene

I've had John Masons pack most of my stuff away and put it in temporary storage prior to my move. Very professional and efficient packing service. I've also visited their warehouse in Croydon and it seems well run. No issues with them at all so far :)

Flying Banana Jul 26th 2005 10:41 pm

3 Attachment(s)
I used John Masons and was more than happy with them, I liked the idea of having one person to contact, they kept in touch regularly, the packing crew were great.

Their quote was slightly below the others but went on gut feel for who was best rather than just on price. My main shipment here was delivered by Kent International but there were 1/2 a dozen boxes over from the container which were sent part shipment and were delivered by Ridgeways. They seemed fine but as they didn't unpack anything or deliver big stuff don't really know.

Rich and Angie Jul 26th 2005 11:03 pm

Definitely recommend PSS!!

Ang

RogerUK Jul 26th 2005 11:48 pm

We went PSS. Absolutely perfect from the quote to delivery to our house in North East Victoria. Nothing damaged, a pleasant efficient crew both packing and unpacking. Even the arrival date in melbourne was spot on to the estimate. Wish we got this service elsewhere!
Good luck
Roger

Hels Jul 27th 2005 12:13 am

We used John Masons last year to come to Victoria and they were fantastic.

Everything was packed really well and the staff were really lovely to deal with. Everything arrived here when quoted and all but the glass from one picture arrived in perfect condition and we had good crystal packed.

I cant recommend them highly enough.

From the looks of it, you should be ok with either John Masons or PSS. I would go with your gut and all should be right.

Good luck,

Hels

Geordie George Jul 27th 2005 12:17 am

We used PSS. Their service in the UK and in Aus was excellent. Everything was exceedingly well packed, they answered all our questions, made the paperwork simple etc. They estimated about 12 weeks door to door for delivery and it took 13 weeks and two days (which includes customs holding some stuff up); they actually made customs clearance seem easy - things were always explained and calls returned if we had a query. The unpackers were happy to unload everything and (at my request) only part unpack - they then came back to collect packing materials (really handy!). And nothing was broken! I'd be happy to recommend them - they were professional, with good customer care.

GG

Hi
I posted this response on crown relocations but it appears to have got a little lost. I really need to make a decision in the next few days so would appreciate some help....

I have had quotes from the standard 5 but am now undecided whether to go with pss or masons. I received a quote from masons tonight which suprisingly is actually cheaper than pss, although i am checking it out!

I need to make a decision fairly swiftly as i am completing all going well on 26th august and its a busy time.
Irene

kulu Jul 27th 2005 1:00 am

Hi Irene,
We got quotes from both companies, price-wise there was little in it but we felt that PSS came over as the better company (can't remember why now) however, they weren't available at the short notice we needed them so we went with John Mason. Overall I have no complaints, the guys who did the packing worked incredibly hard but did break something and not bother to say anything which annoyed me a lot!! They packed it anyway! The office staff were highly professional and I can't fault them. My brother-in-law used PSS to South Africa and said they were excellent. I'd say go with your gut feeling. They are both well respected companies. They also know about British Expats!
Lou :)

parkhigh Jul 27th 2005 6:57 am

Hi Everyone
Thanks for all your replies. My quote from masons was for a reefer which is not want i wanted so i have advised them and hopefully will get a new quote back today. Very efficient though they saw me yesterday till 12 and quote in on email during the afternoon.

We have already packed alot of our stuff to de-clutter and sell the house so the guys will have to repack which masons were quite happy to do. i need to check that out again with PSS. also masons quoted for 3 men for 2 days again i will check out with PSS what they will do. Both companies from your replies seem to be good so again it is also down to availability.
What about insurance issues? PSS use liability and masons use marine insurance? this is a fairly new change and i suppose has only really affected those who have moved this year. Any thoughts on this?
Again any help is much appreciated its a minefield out there!!
Irene

hedgehog-girl Jul 27th 2005 7:09 am

Hi

Irene

Without a doubt John Mason is the best!...We used them to come to Oz...yes they were a little more expensive, but all communications with them were great, they told us they would be late arriving, packaged everything up quickly and professionally. They got everything sent over to us within 8 weeks and again communications were fabulous and all of our stuff was in perfect condition when we got it back and there was lots of glassware etc...in the boxes. I could not fault these guys at all. Everyone we dealt with in the company was friendly and professional and understand our stresses at the time.

fraser Jul 27th 2005 7:19 am

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
Without a doubt John Mason is the best!...We used them to come to Oz...yes they were a little more expensive, but all communications with them were great, they told us they would be late arriving, packaged everything up quickly and professionally. They got everything sent over to us within 8 weeks and again communications were fabulous and all of our stuff was in perfect condition when we got it back and there was lots of glassware etc...in the boxes. I could not fault these guys at all. Everyone we dealt with in the company was friendly and professional and understand our stresses at the time.

How do you know they're the best? How many other shipping companys have you used?