Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ps3 in uk working in oz?

ps3 in uk working in oz?

Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default ps3 in uk working in oz?

There is mixed answers to this on site and on here,but can anyone tell me if a ps3 60gb purchased in the uk and after say a short while some uk games and uk blue ray disc ok will work fine with the ps3,but what about if when buying the games in oz and the blue ray discs will these work in the uk machine,i read that both uk and oz are region b,but i am still confused also as this blue ray is another form of a dvd player does that means it plays normal dvd discs,also would that normal dvd discs purchased in oz also work in the ps3.
To the point i want all parts of a ps3 to work buying games and movies to work in oz,when buying over there is this possible or not.
I hear people saying wait till your in oz etc,but he 60gb is almost gone,not a major problem but i just wanted to know if this was an issue a uk player working in oz.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:33 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ps3 in uk working in oz?

Originally Posted by brian.w
There is mixed answers to this on site and on here,but can anyone tell me if a ps3 60gb purchased in the uk and after say a short while some uk games and uk blue ray disc ok will work fine with the ps3,but what about if when buying the games in oz and the blue ray discs will these work in the uk machine,i read that both uk and oz are region b,but i am still confused also as this blue ray is another form of a dvd player does that means it plays normal dvd discs,also would that normal dvd discs purchased in oz also work in the ps3.
To the point i want all parts of a ps3 to work buying games and movies to work in oz,when buying over there is this possible or not.
I hear people saying wait till your in oz etc,but he 60gb is almost gone,not a major problem but i just wanted to know if this was an issue a uk player working in oz.
Far as I know, it should work absolutely fine. The games I am told are region free, but our bluray on our ps3 is region coded, and there is no hack at present.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 2:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice

Brian,

Bring it, PS3 games are NOT - repeat NOT region coded, so a UK PS3 will play games purchased in Australia, Hong Kong, USA - where ever. I got an 80Gb PS in Hong Kong on my way to Australia and it's played every game I've purchased or rented since being in Oz.

Blu-Ray movies all depend on the Studio that produces them and there are 3 blu-ray regions - check out the wiki page here for more info.

According to that site the UK and Australian are in the same region - B so you should be in luck. My player is an A so I'm limited to what I can watch here in Oz. However check the back of the case, there are loads of titles that are coded A, B & C or have a PS3 Compatible sticker on the from of the case (like Ghost Rider for example).

Hope this info helps
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

As Timber says.........games for the ps3 are region free so they will work.

However the blu-ray is region coded b - not sure what code oz is Just checked oz is also region b

It can play normal dvds and it has the ability to upscale them to near hd quality, however a uk ps3 will only play region 2 dvds and I think oz is region 4 so unless you have a large dvd collection it may be best to wait.

Last edited by markandgill; Jan 11th 2008 at 5:11 am.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of

We brought ours from the Uk and it works perfectly with both games and Blue Ray DVD's. Not tried normal DVD's yet so can't comment if the Oz ones work.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 8:07 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

My Australian PS3 will not play Uk DVD's

FOrtunately we have a sony HD , dvd player also, with hdmi out, and use that for UK dvd's

To be honest its the best dvd player ive ever owned. Bought it specifically to do just this, but also has a cpl of wicked features.

You know , you watch a dvd, and half way thru, think bugger it im going to bed. Or kids want to watch something on tv, or indeed on the dvd?

Well this player, remembers what point you got upto on almost 100 separate dvd's.
Whack the dvd you were watching into the player , and it asks if you want to resume last position.

Now how cools that !!

sony dvp-ns76h if your interested