Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Proxy voting in UK ballots/referenda

Proxy voting in UK ballots/referenda

Old Mar 16th 2016, 10:03 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Proxy voting in UK ballots/referenda

I've just sent my completed proxy forms in to my old UK electoral council office in plenty of time for the referendum.

In case you are unaware, you still have voting rights in the UK if you left within the last 15 years.

Postal voting isn't an option - the ballots are sent out only a few days before the poll and there's no way to get them back in time to be counted.

Find someone you trust in your "old" district, download the proxy forms and email them back and Bob's your uncle!

Incidentally, I've just this minute received an email from Sir Roger Gale MP about the attempt to make expats' voting rights continuous and permanent:

>>Referendum – Ex-pats` voting rights

North Thanet`s MP Sir Roger Gale, one of the leaders of the campaign to secure voting rights for `ex-pat` United Kingdpom citizens, has welcome the move, today, to seek judicial review of the decision to deny voters who have lost their rights under the `fifteen year rule` the opportunity to vote during the Referendum.

“The Government is pledged to introduce a “votes for life” bill in time for the next General Election “says the MP “but it is quite wrong that those who maintain strong ties to their Mother-country, who proudly carry British passports and who in many cases still pay taxes in the UK should be denied the right to vote on the most important decision that has faced Britain with several generations.

The JR, which has been promoted by the Italian resident and war-veteran (Anzio landings) Harry Shindler, represents the last opportunity to correct an omission from what is now the Referendum Act and to secure the vote for those, most of whom have lived and paid taxes in the UK throughout their working lives, who are now living overseas. I hope very much that Harry succeeds”.<<
Old Mar 16th 2016, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proxy voting in UK ballots/referenda

I'm in the middle of sorting mine out. I didn't realise that your named proxy has to attend your old local polling station. My parents moved from that area and won't be able to go back just to vote. Having a look through the application forms though it looks like they can apply to be proxy by post for me - happy days.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 10:34 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proxy voting in UK ballots/referenda

I was pleasantly surprised to find that, as a Commonwealth citizen now resident in the UK, I can register to vote in general and other UK elections.