Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Proving UK inheritance to UK tax office

Proving UK inheritance to UK tax office

Old Oct 24th 2019, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

kath2604 has a brilliant futurekath2604 has a brilliant futurekath2604 has a brilliant futurekath2604 has a brilliant futurekath2604 has a brilliant futurekath2604 has a brilliant future
Question Proving UK inheritance to UK tax office

Hoping someone can help me with my situation.

My mother passed away in the UK.(I live in Australia) My siblings in the UK disposed of her house and the proceeds are due to be split between us.
One sibling decided to use the money to buy herself a new house. She now needs to pay me my 3rd.
She does not have the money, so our father has said he will 'gift' her the money to pay me out.
However, he wants to transfer the money direct to me. (she cant have the money in her account as she is on benefits!)

Im concerned that if he transfers direct to me, in the eyes of the UK tax office, it looks like a gift from him to me, and not my inheritance.
If he dies in 7 years, I would be hit with 40% inheritance tax from his estate.

What documentation should I get in place to prove that the money is the inheritance and not a gift?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old Oct 24th 2019, 12:55 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proving UK inheritance to UK tax office

Originally Posted by kath2604
Hoping someone can help me with my situation.

My mother passed away in the UK.(I live in Australia) My siblings in the UK disposed of her house and the proceeds are due to be split between us.
One sibling decided to use the money to buy herself a new house. She now needs to pay me my 3rd.
She does not have the money, so our father has said he will 'gift' her the money to pay me out.
However, he wants to transfer the money direct to me. (she cant have the money in her account as she is on benefits!)

Im concerned that if he transfers direct to me, in the eyes of the UK tax office, it looks like a gift from him to me, and not my inheritance.
If he dies in 7 years, I would be hit with 40% inheritance tax from his estate.

What documentation should I get in place to prove that the money is the inheritance and not a gift?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Hi Kath. Although there might be someone here who can help you out, you may get more responses if you post on the UK forum here https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/ Good luck with getting it sorted.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proving UK inheritance to UK tax office

Proof that tax has been paid already on the estate?