Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Proving a de-facto relationship ?

Proving a de-facto relationship ?

Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:17 pm
Loving Brisbane !!

Southgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud ofSouthgate has much to be proud of
Question Proving a de-facto relationship ?

Me and the wife are in the throws of our 136 application and the migration consultant suddenly pipes up and says we need to prove our relationship. We have been living together for 9 years but only recently got married, 6 months ago. If we'd been married for 12 months apparently we'd have been sorted.

Anyway, we now have to obtain 6 statutory declarations from friends to prove we're in a lasting relationship, witnessed by a solicitor.

Also, we need 12-14 bits of evidence to show that we've been together for some time.

Anybody any idea how much the solicitor will charge for 'witnessing' such paperwork ?

Has anybody had to do anything similar ? What sort of 'evidence' do I need? It's alarming that we've been together for nearly 10 years but I can't find too many documents with both our names on. Help. !
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:39 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proving a de-facto relationship ?

Originally Posted by Southgate
Me and the wife are in the throws of our 136 application and the migration consultant suddenly pipes up and says we need to prove our relationship. We have been living together for 9 years but only recently got married, 6 months ago. If we'd been married for 12 months apparently we'd have been sorted.

Anyway, we now have to obtain 6 statutory declarations from friends to prove we're in a lasting relationship, witnessed by a solicitor.

Also, we need 12-14 bits of evidence to show that we've been together for some time.

Anybody any idea how much the solicitor will charge for 'witnessing' such paperwork ?

Has anybody had to do anything similar ? What sort of 'evidence' do I need? It's alarming that we've been together for nearly 10 years but I can't find too many documents with both our names on. Help. !
documents with both your names on them would be good, but get together letters/bills that you have showing you live at the same address. try to have envelopes too, very helpful. none of these need to be certified as long as they are originals.
The witness forms you need are form 888, get thses from dimia website, search google for DIMIA 888
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:46 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Southgate

Our solicitor cost about 20 pounds, not much at all to watch your witnessess sign.

You need evidence such as household bills in both your names, a mortgage perhaps. You can't send in photos no matter who tells you on here that you can. Photos proove nothing. It has to be something like utility bills.

I wonder why they are asking for so much evidence - 12 -14 thats a rather large amount?

You could also use paperwork such as a holiday booked together in the past. places/hotels you have stayed in.
Good luck
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:46 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/888.pdf
Old Dec 7th 2005, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

I'm dreading having to do this.
My partner and I have been together five years, living together for four, but the mortgage and all the bills are in my name only!
We have nothing at all that shows we have lived together!
Also probably can't show more than one holiday together as most have been booked over the internet (flights only) and I have since deleted the confirmation emails!
Needless to say, everything we do together from now I will keep a printed record of - just hopiing that by the time we get round to applying we'll have enough stuff to prove our relationship
Old Dec 7th 2005, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

what about trying to get something from the voters register?

i've you've both been registered as being voters and living at the same address i'm sure that would count for one of them....

f
x
Old Dec 7th 2005, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by YoSemite
what about trying to get something from the voters register?

i've you've both been registered as being voters and living at the same address i'm sure that would count for one of them....

f
x
I don't know if this is convincing though, as loads of unattached people share houses/flats.
In fact, my partner has now rented out our spare room as I am in Oz at the moment, so he is actually sharing with someone else!
Obviously it wouldn't hurt, but don't think it really proves anything
Old Dec 7th 2005, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

We proved we were together by flight itineraries, postcards to us both from friends and some photos taken by official photographers at other people's weddings.

As far as I can see, there is no definitive list- more of a general acceptance that you have a proper relationship.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pomster
We proved we were together by flight itineraries, postcards to us both from friends and some photos taken by official photographers at other people's weddings.

As far as I can see, there is no definitive list- more of a general acceptance that you have a proper relationship.
Yeah you're probably right - I guess if you've been together for a few years you must be able to gather together enough evidence to prove it. And I don't suppose DIMIA really mind what it is as long as it proves your point
Old Dec 7th 2005, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Hi there

I used stat decs, joint bills, holiday snaps, birthday cards etc etc. Just get together as much as you can. Your wedding certificate would be great as well.

Good luck.

SS