Reload this Page >

Proud to come from such an open country

Proud to come from such an open country

Old Aug 18th 2003, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Meridian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proud to come from such an open country

From today's Times:

THEY fled with nothing, but built a new business empire: the success of the 29,000 Asian refugees who escaped to Britain from Uganda in the early 1970s provided an unexpected lasting legacy of Idi Amin’s regime.
Edward Heath, Prime Minister at the time of the expulsion, said that Britain had a moral responsibility to help all those Asians who had British passports, but not everybody was so welcoming. Leicester City Council was so afraid that it could not cope that it placed adverts in Ugandan newspapers urging the Asians to stay away from their town.

They came anyway and Leicester turned out to be wrong. It is now widely agreed that the Ugandan Asians who came to Britain have contributed greatly to the economy and created, between them, tens of thousands of jobs.

Allowed to take just £50 cash with them when they left Uganda and dispersed to the four corners of Britain on their arrival, the Ugandan Asians, as a community, gained upward social mobility at such a rate that by 1991 their social class profile was superior to that of whites and earlier Indian labour migrants, Professor Vaughan Robinson, of the University of Wales, said.

Jitesh Gadhia, 33, was just two years old when he left Kampala with his parents, grandparents and uncles and aunts. Today he is a corporate finance director at the Dutch bank ABN AMRO and a trustee of Guy’s and St Thomas’ Charitable Foundation.

Mr Gadhia’s family settled in rented accommodation in North London in 1972. As a merchant family, that had run their own textiles’ business, the Gadhia’s were determined to make a go of their new life.

“They were not about to settle for a refugee camp. They had a sense of self-respect and a desire to resettle as soon as possible. My father soon found a job and my grandfather set about helping others arriving from Uganda,� Mr Gadhia said.

Like the great majority of the Ugandan Asians ordered to leave by Amin, the family had another reason for wanting to make a go of their life in Britain: Mr Gadhia’s grandfather had already been a migrant once before, leaving Gujurat in India to settle in Uganda in the 1940s.

“This was his third country. I think he felt he had no choice but to get it right the third time.

“Migrants, as a group, are people who are prepared to uproot themselves, want to improve their lives. They are already highly motivated. Those forced to be migrants more than once are doubly driven.

“There is a sense of urgency and a yearning for security,� Mr Gadhia said. In Uganda the Asian community had established itself among the business elite, creating what Mr Gadhia refers to as a mini-Silicon Valley in Kampala.

“There were a lot of entrepreneurs and professionals. They were highly interdependent and business-savvy. When they came to Britain that mutual support continued,� Mr Gadhia said.

He went to a local grammar school and then to Cambridge University and is proud of his mixed Indian, Ugandan and British heritage. “The beauty of wearing three hats — either separately or all at the same time — is that you don’t feel confined to any one culture and you can transcend all of them,� he said.

Shailesh Vara, 42, arrived in Britain from Uganda as a small boy shortly before Amin’s expulsion order. His family settled in Birmingham, where Mr Vara’s father found work as a carpenter and then went on to found and build up a successful property business.

Mr Vara was educated at a grammar school in Aylesbury and Brunel University before joining a City law firm and becoming a vice-chairman of the Conservative party. He hopes one day to become a Tory MP.

Although he is immensely proud of the considerable economic contribution that the Ugandan Asian community has made in Britain, Mr Vara considers himself to be British first and foremost.

But he had not forgotten his former country. “While we are celebrating the achievements of the Ugandan Asians who came to Britain, we must not forget the hundreds of thousands of Ugandans who were butchered by Idi Amin. If there were a historical gallery of monsters, Amin would be among them,� he said.

Kanti Nagda, 54, was working as a secondary school teacher in Uganda when he was expelled by Idi Amin in 1972. The day after he arrived in London he found a job as a clerical assistant and has not been out of work since. “The priority was to get a job, so I took the first one I could find,� he said. Today he works as a social worker in North London, running a support and friendship centre for the local Gujurati community.

The expulsion from Uganda took his family by surprise. “Idi Amin gave us all three months to leave, but we did not take it seriously; we just thought it was part of his madness. Uganda was my home. But the army started harassing local Asians and we realised it was serious.�

Mr Nagda’s parents went back to India, which they had left 25 years earlier, but he did not have Indian citizenship and had to find another home.

As he had friends in Harrow, North London, Mr Nagda headed straight there. He remembers feeling very cold when he first arrived in England and spending his first few nights in a makeshift camp thrown up for the refugees. I felt sad and sorry for about 18 months. I was angry at the beginning too, but not now. I gradually came to terms with it,� he said.

Through community work, Mr Ngada decided to train as a social worker. “Having the experiences that I had had, I wanted to do something where I could help other people. I knew what it was like to need help,� he said.

His sons, aged 24 and 26, were both born in Britain and have good jobs in telecommunications and banking.

“I’m quite happy with my life now. I’m content with what I have achieved and I think that as a community we have put back in equal measure what we ourselves have got out of being here,� he said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...783548,00.html
Old Aug 18th 2003, 10:54 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Let us hope that the immigrants to OZ will do as much for their new country.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

All these people going on about asylum seekers/immos to the UK are just scared. They like to do this thing of "No-one dislikes genuine migrants, just illegal refugees" to hide it, but they are scared of people (especially non-white people) or more particularly men (you always see them talking about gangs of men, not gangs of women) from anywhere foreign to them because they think they are more likely to hurt them/their family or steal from them or take jobs from them. They cannot put themselves in the minds of the foreigners and believe that they feel exactly the same as they would feel in their situation, and that means that they put dodgy motives on everything those foreigners do. Of course there are tossers amongst the foreigners - probably in the same proportions as there are tossers amongst the usual UK population - but there is danger everywhere, all over the world, and tossers are of all nationalities. While they are watching the asylum seekers and expecting them to do something nasty to them, they will find some white pom doing it behind their back.

I have always found it hard to believe that people going through emigration themselves can be so against immigration (especially to a county they are leaving behind often through fear and running away rather than facing their problems) but all I can say is that fear dominates people more than anything else and it makes people say and do things that even they feel ashamed about after.

I also find it ironic that people scared of immigrants and the crime and social problems they feel immigration/asylum seeking to the UK causes are choosing to go to a place like Oz. They will almost certainly encounter more problems in OZ than they ever would have in the UK and so I think they are looking for a better, more secure life (security in all its forms) and will find the opposite.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 11:50 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proud to come from such an open country

Originally posted by Meridian
From today's Times:

THEY fled with nothing, but built a new business empire: the success of the 29,000 Asian refugees who escaped to Britain from Uganda in the early 1970s provided an unexpected lasting legacy of Idi Amin’s regime.
Edward Heath, Prime Minister at the time of the expulsion, said that Britain had a moral responsibility to help all those Asians who had British passports, but not everybody was so welcoming. Leicester City Council was so afraid that it could not cope that it placed adverts in Ugandan newspapers urging the Asians to stay away from their town.

They came anyway and Leicester turned out to be wrong. It is now widely agreed that the Ugandan Asians who came to Britain have contributed greatly to the economy and created, between them, tens of thousands of jobs.

Allowed to take just £50 cash with them when they left Uganda and dispersed to the four corners of Britain on their arrival, the Ugandan Asians, as a community, gained upward social mobility at such a rate that by 1991 their social class profile was superior to that of whites and earlier Indian labour migrants, Professor Vaughan Robinson, of the University of Wales, said.

Good post which points out the so called refugees are of more use than your average immo to Australia.

Old Aug 19th 2003, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

megawho is an unknown quantity at this point

From today's Times:

Jitesh Gadhia, 33, was just two years old when he left Kampala with his parents, grandparents and uncles and aunts. Today he is a corporate finance director at the Dutch bank ABN AMRO and a trustee of Guy’s and St Thomas’ Charitable Foundation.

Mr Gadhia’s family settled in rented accommodation in North London in 1972. As a merchant family, that had run their own textiles’ business, the Gadhia’s were determined to make a go of their new life.

“They were not about to settle for a refugee camp. They had a sense of self-respect and a desire to resettle as soon as possible. My father soon found a job and my grandfather set about helping others arriving from Uganda,� Mr Gadhia said.

Like the great majority of the Ugandan Asians ordered to leave by Amin, the family had another reason for wanting to make a go of their life in Britain: Mr Gadhia’s grandfather had already been a migrant once before, leaving Gujurat in India to settle in Uganda in the 1940s.

“This was his third country. I think he felt he had no choice but to get it right the third time.

“Migrants, as a group, are people who are prepared to uproot themselves, want to improve their lives. They are already highly motivated. Those forced to be migrants more than once are doubly driven.

“There is a sense of urgency and a yearning for security,� Mr Gadhia said. In Uganda the Asian community had established itself among the business elite, creating what Mr Gadhia refers to as a mini-Silicon Valley in Kampala.

“There were a lot of entrepreneurs and professionals. They were highly interdependent and business-savvy. When they came to Britain that mutual support continued,� Mr Gadhia said.

He went to a local grammar school and then to Cambridge University and is proud of his mixed Indian, Ugandan and British heritage. “The beauty of wearing three hats — either separately or all at the same time — is that you don’t feel confined to any one culture and you can transcend all of them,� he said.

Shailesh Vara, 42, arrived in Britain from Uganda as a small boy shortly before Amin’s expulsion order. His family settled in Birmingham, where Mr Vara’s father found work as a carpenter and then went on to found and build up a successful property business.

Mr Vara was educated at a grammar school in Aylesbury and Brunel University before joining a City law firm and becoming a vice-chairman of the Conservative party. He hopes one day to become a Tory MP.

Although he is immensely proud of the considerable economic contribution that the Ugandan Asian community has made in Britain, Mr Vara considers himself to be British first and foremost.

But he had not forgotten his former country. “While we are celebrating the achievements of the Ugandan Asians who came to Britain, we must not forget the hundreds of thousands of Ugandans who were butchered by Idi Amin. If there were a historical gallery of monsters, Amin would be among them,� he said.

Kanti Nagda, 54, was working as a secondary school teacher in Uganda when he was expelled by Idi Amin in 1972. The day after he arrived in London he found a job as a clerical assistant and has not been out of work since. “The priority was to get a job, so I took the first one I could find,� he said. Today he works as a social worker in North London, running a support and friendship centre for the local Gujurati community.

The expulsion from Uganda took his family by surprise. “Idi Amin gave us all three months to leave, but we did not take it seriously; we just thought it was part of his madness. Uganda was my home. But the army started harassing local Asians and we realised it was serious.�

Mr Nagda’s parents went back to India, which they had left 25 years earlier, but he did not have Indian citizenship and had to find another home.

As he had friends in Harrow, North London, Mr Nagda headed straight there. He remembers feeling very cold when he first arrived in England and spending his first few nights in a makeshift camp thrown up for the refugees. I felt sad and sorry for about 18 months. I was angry at the beginning too, but not now. I gradually came to terms with it,� he said.

Through community work, Mr Ngada decided to train as a social worker. “Having the experiences that I had had, I wanted to do something where I could help other people. I knew what it was like to need help,� he said.

His sons, aged 24 and 26, were both born in Britain and have good jobs in telecommunications and banking.

“I’m quite happy with my life now. I’m content with what I have achieved and I think that as a community we have put back in equal measure what we ourselves have got out of being here,� he said.

Well posted indeed.....
Old Aug 19th 2003, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

From today's Times:

They came anyway and Leicester turned out to be wrong...
I couldn't get passed that last sentence. Leicester City Council wrong? Come now, don't cast nasturtiums at the good old LCC.

But seriously folks, Leicester is one of the more integrated UK cities. (I can't believe I just said that.)