Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Protecting your UK Identity before you move

Protecting your UK Identity before you move

Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:32 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Protecting your UK Identity before you move

Not sure if this information will be of use, I got this from Experian (Credit Agency) as my friend who is in the Uk has had her identity used for fraud and I wondered how I could protect myself once I leave the UK for good next year, to quote:

"I note your comments and would advise that if you move permanently abroad you should ensure that before you go you should speak to your Local council and close yourself off on the Electoral roll at your present address.

In addition, your could contact the Mailing Preference Service and ask them to put a stop to mail being sent to you at that address. Their telephone number is as follows: 020 7291 3310

Finally you may wish to add a password on your credit report. This is a short statement explaining what has happened. This statement will be seen by anyone searching your report in future, as well as companies who have searched your report in the past six months. This statement can help protect your details and will allow lenders to take the information into consideration when making a lending decision.
However, please note that this is an added security measure and not an absolute guarantee that your identity will be protected. An example of a Notice of Correction is detailed below. If you would like this adding to your report, please confirm this to us in writing and provide a password that you would like to use:

"I WISH TO INFORM LENDERS THAT I AM NOW LIVING ABROAD AND I AM CONCERNED THAT MY DETAILS MAY POSSIBLY BE USED FRAUDULENTLY IN ATTEMPTS TO OBTAIN CREDIT IN MY NAME. I THEREFORE WISH TO USE THE PASSWORD "XXXXXX" IN ANY GENUINE CREDIT APPLICATION MADE BY MYSELF."

www.experian.co.uk
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Protecting your UK Identity before you move

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
Not sure if this information will be of use, I got this from Experian (Credit Agency) as my friend who is in the Uk has had her identity used for fraud and I wondered how I could protect myself once I leave the UK for good next year, to quote:

"I note your comments and would advise that if you move permanently abroad you should ensure that before you go you should speak to your Local council and close yourself off on the Electoral roll at your present address.

In addition, your could contact the Mailing Preference Service and ask them to put a stop to mail being sent to you at that address. Their telephone number is as follows: 020 7291 3310

Finally you may wish to add a password on your credit report. This is a short statement explaining what has happened. This statement will be seen by anyone searching your report in future, as well as companies who have searched your report in the past six months. This statement can help protect your details and will allow lenders to take the information into consideration when making a lending decision.
However, please note that this is an added security measure and not an absolute guarantee that your identity will be protected. An example of a Notice of Correction is detailed below. If you would like this adding to your report, please confirm this to us in writing and provide a password that you would like to use:

"I WISH TO INFORM LENDERS THAT I AM NOW LIVING ABROAD AND I AM CONCERNED THAT MY DETAILS MAY POSSIBLY BE USED FRAUDULENTLY IN ATTEMPTS TO OBTAIN CREDIT IN MY NAME. I THEREFORE WISH TO USE THE PASSWORD "XXXXXX" IN ANY GENUINE CREDIT APPLICATION MADE BY MYSELF."

www.experian.co.uk
Great advice.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Originally Posted by WendyC
Great advice.
I agree, thanks. I'll add them to the "To Do" list.

SS
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
I agree, thanks. I'll add them to the "To Do" list.

SS
Good idea, leave no door left unlocked after you leave.