British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Prospective Spouse Visas- Help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/prospective-spouse-visas-help-108581/)

Zena May 27th 2002 9:33 am

Prospective Spouse Visas- Help!

Hi

I was talking to a friend in Australia over the weekend, and we were discussing the plight of a friend of hers who has just brought his Japanese fiancé to live with him in Australia. But, they didn’t do their homework before she left Japan, and so didn’t realise that she needed to be outside Australia when she applied for a prospective spouse visa.

Does anyone know if she could apply for a visa via Japan but actually be in Australia while it is processed? I guess she’d have to travel home to get the visa validated, but that wouldn’t be a problem.

Can anyone think of any other way around this? They have lived together on and off over the last few years, but because of immigration restrictions only for 3 months at a time- would this be enough to apply for a de facto visa? The alternative seem to be either to just go and get married or to apply for a student visa now and got for PR once they get married next year.

Thanks
Zena

mozz48 May 27th 2002 10:11 am

Re: Prospective Spouse Visas- Help!

Hi Zena ,
Depending on what is stamped on your friends passport depends on wether she can get her 3month visa extended I dont know if you can apply electronically in Japan for an Australia tourist visa If you cant she will most likely have "No Further Travel" stamped on it This is non negotiable Believe me My wife and I did all this last year Marriage is a very good option It will cut down waiting time Good Luck Someone else may be able to shed some more light on the subject for you Regards Gerard

Mister E May 27th 2002 7:20 pm

"mozz48" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Zena , Depending on what is stamped on your friends passport depends on wether
    > she can get her 3month visa extended I dont know if you can apply electronically in
    > Japan for an Australia tourist visa If you cant she will most likely have "No
    > Further Travel" stamped on it This is non negotiable Believe me My wife and I did
    > all this last year Marriage is a very good option It will cut down waiting time
    > Good Luck Someone else may be able to shed some more light on the subject for you
    > Regards Gerard
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Well said, Moz When applying for a permanant visa it is important that you apply for
the right one at the right time and in the right place, as an Australian with a
foreign spouse who is Phillip Ruddock's greatest fan, ( no she did not have sex with
him!!!!!!!!) I would say that the best place to apply is Japan if if the applicant is
Japanese. Of course this may mean some seperation but it makes the heart grow fonder
and gives all parties to be sure of their decisions, and it is a big one. This may
also mean that the prospective spouse may change her mind, which they have might not
have done here for shaming you, Would you want a spouse like this?

good luck and I hope it works out

George Lombard May 27th 2002 8:20 pm

Dear Zena,

Your friend ought to go and get accurate advice from one of the free advice centres.
Each Migrant Resource Centre in Australia offers an advice service, as does the
Immigration Advice and Rights Centre in Sydney, which can be contacted on
02-92811609. If your friend does call IARC he or she will get referred to the most
appropriate contact.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au Zena wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >Hi
    >
    >I was talking to a friend in Australia over the weekend, and we were discussing the
    >plight of a friend of hers who has just brought his Japanese fiancé to live with him
    >in Australia. But, they didn’t do their homework before she left Japan, and so
    >didn’t realise that she needed to be outside Australia when she applied for a
    >prospective spouse visa.
    >
    >Does anyone know if she could apply for a visa via Japan but actually be in
    >Australia while it is processed? I guess she’d have to travel home to get the visa
    >validated, but that wouldn’t be a problem.
    >
    >Can anyone think of any other way around this? They have lived together on and off
    >over the last few years, but because of immigration restrictions only for 3 months
    >at a time- would this be enough to apply for a de facto visa? The alternative seem
    >to be either to just go and get married or to apply for a student visa now and got
    >for PR once they get married next year.
    >
    >Thanks Zena
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

George Lombard May 27th 2002 10:20 pm

Dear Mr E,

as an Australian
    >with a foreign spouse who is Phillip Ruddock's greatest fan, ( no she did not have
    >sex with him!!!!!!!!)

I think this is a serious reportable offence. Suggesting that Ruddock has sex is akin
to onfield racist abuse.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au