Reload this Page >

Prospective marriage

Prospective marriage

Old Mar 4th 2005, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

hlbrunty is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Prospective marriage

Hi there

My boyfriend in Aus has asked me to marry him and we are about to apply for the Prospective marriage visa. We have been together since Sep 2003. We lived together from Feb - Sept 2004 but can't really prove much apart from the fact that we have met and a little bit of correspondence (emails and phone calls). I went on a visitors visa so wasn't working at the time. We didn't travel together, or have both our names on correspondence all we have is statements from family

Does anyone have any tips for the application or any idea whether I have a cat in hell's chance of being accepted.

My fiance is a full time student, but I would be hoping to get work as soon as I arrived

I would be most grateful, as we are genuine but its proving it thats the problem!

Helen
Old Mar 4th 2005, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prospective marriage

Originally Posted by hlbrunty
Hi there

My boyfriend in Aus has asked me to marry him and we are about to apply for the Prospective marriage visa. We have been together since Sep 2003. We lived together from Feb - Sept 2004 but can't really prove much apart from the fact that we have met and a little bit of correspondence (emails and phone calls). I went on a visitors visa so wasn't working at the time. We didn't travel together, or have both our names on correspondence all we have is statements from family

Does anyone have any tips for the application or any idea whether I have a cat in hell's chance of being accepted.

My fiance is a full time student, but I would be hoping to get work as soon as I arrived

I would be most grateful, as we are genuine but its proving it thats the problem!

Helen
The De Facto spouse visa is out of the question unless you can prove that you have lived together for a year, hence your need to apply for the Provisional spouse Visa.

From what I gather, this is relatively straightforward, so long as the relationship is genuine. Others may be able to provide details on what documents etc you actually need.

This is the first of a 3-part process. Once the Provisional is granted, you will be given, I believe, 9 months to marry your partner. Once you have done this, you apply for a De Facto spouse visa. Again, certain proof will be required of marriage and the ongoing nature of the relationship. The final stage is, I believe, after two years when again you have to prove that the relationship is genuine and ongoing. At this stage you will, I think, be granted Permanent Residency.

From what others on here have told me, the visas are granted relatively quickly, sometimes on the same day as you apply if you submit the documents in person.

So long as your relationship is genuine and you marry your partner (unnecessary if you have cohabited for a year), then I don't see why you shouldn't be successful.

Good luck!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Prospective marriage

Thankyou for your reply, I feel a bit better now!

Originally Posted by tonyk38
The De Facto spouse visa is out of the question unless you can prove that you have lived together for a year, hence your need to apply for the Provisional spouse Visa.

From what I gather, this is relatively straightforward, so long as the relationship is genuine. Others may be able to provide details on what documents etc you actually need.

This is the first of a 3-part process. Once the Provisional is granted, you will be given, I believe, 9 months to marry your partner. Once you have done this, you apply for a De Facto spouse visa. Again, certain proof will be required of marriage and the ongoing nature of the relationship. The final stage is, I believe, after two years when again you have to prove that the relationship is genuine and ongoing. At this stage you will, I think, be granted Permanent Residency.

From what others on here have told me, the visas are granted relatively quickly, sometimes on the same day as you apply if you submit the documents in person.

So long as your relationship is genuine and you marry your partner (unnecessary if you have cohabited for a year), then I don't see why you shouldn't be successful.

Good luck!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for your reply, I feel a bit better now!
You're welcome!

I'm no expert on the spouse visas, but as I say, they appear to be relatively straightforward in many cases from the stories I've heard.

Hopefully those who've been through the process will post here giving you the fine details.

Btw, check DIMIA's website for the visa categories and wade through the verbal treacle!

Click here for DIMIA
Old Mar 4th 2005, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Laurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really nice

You can apply for the Prospective Spouse visa. You need to prove that you have met in person, and they you have maintained a continuing relationship, and that you have a genuine intention to marry. This can all be done through statements from friends and relatives, photos of you two together, and a NOIM from Australia.

The Pros Marriage visa comes with full work rights, so theoretically you would be able to work when you get there. My understanding is that employers are hesitant to hire people without permanent residency though (which you won't have for 2 years).

I am sure you'll be fine, it seems like people are rarely denied. I'll be applying for mine in April, and will hopefully be moving permanently in August or September.

Where will you be settling?
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laurie1st
The Pros Marriage visa comes with full work rights, so theoretically you would be able to work when you get there. My understanding is that employers are hesitant to hire people without permanent residency though (which you won't have for 2 years).
Some employers are hesitant. Not all. It tends to be more of a problem for the longer term, career orientated jobs (ie the better jobs).

At the end of the day it's the employers call and that often boils down to how you shape up compared to the Australian next in line.

Jeremy
Old Mar 5th 2005, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Hi Laurie

Thanks for your reply. I will be in Perth, Scarborough to be precise - my fiance is there now. My brother has permanent residency, he lives in Coolbellup near Fremantle. I was visiting him when I met said fiance.

Good luck for your application.
Originally Posted by Laurie1st
You can apply for the Prospective Spouse visa. You need to prove that you have met in person, and they you have maintained a continuing relationship, and that you have a genuine intention to marry. This can all be done through statements from friends and relatives, photos of you two together, and a NOIM from Australia.

I am sure you'll be fine, it seems like people are rarely denied. I'll be applying for mine in April, and will hopefully be moving permanently in August or September.

Where will you be settling?
Old Mar 6th 2005, 7:59 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Hi Laurie

Thanks for your reply. I will be in Perth, Scarborough to be precise - my fiance is there now. My brother has permanent residency, he lives in Coolbellup near Fremantle. I was visiting him when I met said fiance.

Good luck for your application.
Hi Helen,

Just a bit of clarification, on the 9 month Prosp. Marriage visa you have 9 months from visa grant to apply for the next stage of the visa ... this, as I understand it, means marrying within 8 months in order to leave a month for the extra processing. Not worth leaving it tight!

As regards the employability on this Visa, I arrived in January and have only come across on employer that would have a problem with giving me a full-time position and that is Queensland Government ... they require, as a rule (depending on departments) Permanent Residency for permanent positions ... but temporary is OK for some.

Also, you only get reciprocal health care cover until you are married (just like a backpacker), then you can get a temporary Medicare card (although I have yet to establish if this gives me full Medicare rights!).

Good luck with your application, 'tis a fine place out here

Cheers,
Matt