Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

pros and cons of buying an house

pros and cons of buying an house

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

fastrhino will become famous soon enough
Default pros and cons of buying an house

I have seen a thread on this subject but now i cant find it, even with the search facility.

i am wondering weather long term renting is a better option for childless couples, cost savings over buying.

mick
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pros and cons of buying an house

Originally Posted by fastrhino
I have seen a thread on this subject but now i cant find it, even with the search facility.

i am wondering weather long term renting is a better option for childless couples, cost savings over buying.

mick
We're seriously considering not buying as well - or if we do buy then it would be an investment property rather than a dream home.
Of course the plan could change! But for the immediate/medium-term future renting gives us lots of flexibility with no risk, which seems like the best option.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:01 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all

Hi Mick,

I am sure someone else will disagree but in purely financial terms and over a long time i cannot see how renting can ever be better than buying. With buying, after 25-30 years you will own a property worth alot more than what you originally paid for it. If you had been renting all that time you have nothing. As there is not a great deal of difference between rent and a mortgage then i cannot really see how you would save a great deal month to month.

A property as an investment is by far the safest way of securing a pension, when you retire you could even sell up and rent a smaller place and live quite happily on your pension and travel the world on your house proceeds.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Murphsters
Hi Mick,

I am sure someone else will disagree but in purely financial terms and over a long time i cannot see how renting can ever be better than buying. With buying, after 25-30 years you will own a property worth alot more than what you originally paid for it. If you had been renting all that time you have nothing. As there is not a great deal of difference between rent and a mortgage then i cannot really see how you would save a great deal month to month.

A property as an investment is by far the safest way of securing a pension, when you retire you could even sell up and rent a smaller place and live quite happily on your pension and travel the world on your house proceeds.
Not necessarily true.... over the short term renting is cheaper as you do not pay the costs of buying & selling and you can also give notice for when you want to leave rather than wait months for a buyer.
There is also no guarantee that the property will be worth a lot more - it is likely that the value will increase, but I certainly wouldn't rely on it for a pension.
There will also be maintenance costs when owning a house which would be the landlord's problem if you were renting.

I wouldn't advocate renting forever to anyone - I think there is considerable emotional security in owning your own home, aside from the probably financial advantages. But in the short term, when first arrived in a new country, I think there is a lot to be said for renting.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: pros and cons of buying an house

What are you talking of when you refer to short term, 1-3 years can make a massive difference in terms of house prices and interest increases.
Of course it can all go the other way and slump to, also if you keep you cash in the uk while you rent and the exchange rate goes up etc, etc.
it's just one big gamble.
Chris96
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chris96
What are you talking of when you refer to short term, 1-3 years can make a massive difference in terms of house prices and interest increases.
Of course it can all go the other way and slump too, also if you keep you cash in the uk while you rent and the exchange rate goes up etc, etc.
it's just one big gamble.
Chris96
Exactly - and if you get stuck in a slump then the only thing for most people to do is sit it out. If you aren't sure about staying in one place, then it is by far the safest option to rent - the cash you would use to buy can be invested elsewhere, so it will still be working for you.
I would say when you are sure that you want to be in one place for a while - or invest your money in one place for a while - then buy, but until then keep your options open by renting.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:48 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Exactly - and if you get stuck in a slump then the only thing for most people to do is sit it out. If you aren't sure about staying in one place, then it is by far the safest option to rent - the cash you would use to buy can be invested elsewhere, so it will still be working for you.
I would say when you are sure that you want to be in one place for a while - or invest your money in one place for a while - then buy, but until then keep your options open by renting.
Best solution

Rent the house you live in (at lower cost). Rent out the place you buy and get someone else to pay it off.

And no the benefit of putting up pictures and crap in your own home doesn't cut the mustard.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 6:02 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all

I was basing my thoughts on the OP asking about long term, long term i presume to mean lifetime.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by thebears
Rent the house you live in (at lower cost). Rent out the place you buy and get someone else to pay it off.
That is precisely what we are going to look in to! Great minds and all that..!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

fastrhino will become famous soon enough

I think most people take the view that renting long term is dead money, but so can home ownership if you go negative equity or need to continualy spend money on the upkeep.

it is doubtfull we will have kids, so no one to leave our assets to when we die.

with property price the way they are going in perth we may have to face the prospect of being priced out of the affordable house market for the forseable future.

mick
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:22 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Best solution

And no the benefit of putting up pictures and crap in your own home doesn't cut the mustard.
A lot of people who argue for the rent/don't buy idea forget about the high cost of moving from one place to another. Unless you are someone who does not accumulate possessions, it must be incredibly frustrating having to pack/find another house in the same area every couple of years. You are at the mercy of the landlord if he/she decides to sell the house - have to have people viewing the house etc. For stabilty I would definitely purchase my own place if I knew I wanted to stay in Australia long term.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 10:25 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Best solution

for some it does cut the mustard. my kids have been so much more settled since we bought our own place, kids need stability and as a few people on this site of late can testify getting the call to give you notice to move is not a good thing, just ask Renth.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 10:28 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I think that was a good idea a while back, but now the rent you get won't cover the loan repayments + up keep fees.

Best solution

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:18 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
I think that was a good idea a while back, but now the rent you get won't cover the loan repayments + up keep fees.
Thats an individual property perspective.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:19 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Murphsters
Hi Mick,

...As there is not a great deal of difference between rent and a mortgage then i cannot really see how you would save a great deal month to month...

Unfortunately, if you rent a 3/4 bedroom house in Sydney and would like to buy same, the mortgage may be a lot more expensive - month to month.

Say you pay 2,000 per month rent - does anyone know how much the mortgage repayments would be per month if you borrowed, say (gulp), $400,000 ?

A lot more, I fear.

Big.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.