Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

pros and cons: australia

pros and cons: australia

Old Dec 18th 2002, 10:52 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pros and cons: australia

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by tinaj
Originally posted by Interested
Hi,

I recently returned from a 3 month tour of Australia, here are my thoughts for those considering moving out there......

pros;
Absolutely beautiful !! I haven't seen anywhere as picturesque or with such colourful wildlife anywhere else in the world.

Crikey I think PB will have a fit when he sees this - he rekons it is the most baron desolate country around!!
Must only be Perth thats not very green?

WAS appalled to read your front-page report (16/12) and even further saddened to see the minuscule patches of green (national parks) on the map on page 6.

We are bombarded daily by information on the devastating effects of salinisation, degradation of our environment, flora and fauna loss and decrease in rainfall, all largely caused by deforestation, yet greedy businesses still pressure for forest land pointing out ridiculous "benefits".

Do the forest "lungs" of our country have to be destroyed completely before we collectively wake up to this greed addiction? Are we like the smokers who ignore "smoking causes death" notices on cigarette packets? The result in both cases is fatal. Please WA, wake up and fight this.
MICHELLE SORRELL, South Perth.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Dec 19th 2002 at 1:32 am.
Old Dec 19th 2002, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future
Default ceri

Ceri,

i guess we are from different socio-economic backgrounds, so we notice different things !
Old Dec 19th 2002, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Twofingersalute is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
'short daylight hours'.....

this has been a huge 'pro' for us, especially as we have kids that won't go to bed until its dark! Just glad we have the aircon upstairs or they would have the excuse of it being too hot to sleep...

another pro for me is not having to do my food shopping at 2am to avoid the crowds..... I used to thank god for 24 hour Tesco's. We used to live near 'Lakeside shopping centre' in Essex so if you know the area you will understand my gripe... I don't even like shopping!!

Con...being an Essex girl! I've always hated that title but a pro for me here is that the 'aussies' don't seem to know the term 'Essex girl'.

Con in Aus.... Crap tv. yep even the cable is just more crap, but luckily as the weather is quite nice all the time, thankfully we don't watch the old box much, too much to do at the parks.

Con in Aus.... Bloody noisy insects and big buggers too! Really hate the cockroaches.

Pro in Aus... We all love it here and the kids are doing great in a very good school.

Pro in Aus... buying outdoor toys for the kids for christmas and being able to use them!

Con in Aus... some of the blokes are a bit 'blokey' but that isn't a con for me really being as I'm an Essex girl... I fit right in! Still can't stop myself from asking for a pint of lager!

I don't really think about pro's and con's as long as me and the family are happy, life is what you make it and its too short to be pondering. So why am I bothering to write all this? I have a right giggle reading stuff on here, it's more entertaining than the tv! No honestly, I'm sitting here in my lounge with the kids in bed, a glass of wine in my hand with my laptop on my lap with the weather channel on the tv, now that's about as good as it can get, what more could I ask for!
Oh yeah its a barrel of laughs-melbourne is a miserable, useless, uninspiring, unmotivating crappy place.mate mate woof... pass me another beer-oh yeah the footy is so skilled:"aussie No-rules" i look forward to the "wonderfull" game every winter...
Old Dec 19th 2002, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

michael29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Twofingersalute
Oh yeah its a barrel of laughs-melbourne is a miserable, useless, uninspiring, unmotivating crappy place.mate mate woof... pass me another beer-oh yeah the footy is so skilled:"aussie No-rules" i look forward to the "wonderfull" game every winter...
Ive got an idea two fingered salute,why dont you just have a whinge about it.
Old Dec 19th 2002, 10:54 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ceri

Originally posted by Interested
Ceri,

i guess we are from different socio-economic backgrounds, so we notice different things !
Thats a mouth full what does that mean? sod you bleeders at the bottom I am all right jack?

Old Dec 20th 2002, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Twofingersalute is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by michael29
Ive got an idea two fingered salute,why dont you just have a whinge about it.
very articulate m29 as usual-nothing to say worthwhile-come on defend it with actual facts-theres that word again"whinge"-is it in the standard bastardization of the english language aussie dictionary?you know the one where one sylabel words are transcribed to two sylabel ones?
I will go abit slower- D O U KNOW HOW TO HAVE A RATIONALE DISCUSSION..
or haven't you got anything else to say? ummm?
whinge, hinge, twinge, cinge (spelling!) , binge, tinge
Old Dec 20th 2002, 8:38 am
2thick

Originally posted by Twofingersalute
very articulate m29 as usual-nothing to say worthwhile-come on defend it with actual facts-theres that word again"whinge"-is it in the standard bastardization of the english language aussie dictionary?you know the one where one sylabel words are transcribed to two sylabel ones?
I will go abit slower- D O U KNOW HOW TO HAVE A RATIONALE DISCUSSION..
or haven't you got anything else to say? ummm?
whinge, hinge, twinge, cinge (spelling!) , binge, tinge
Another Pot?

'S-y-l-l-a-b-l-e'; whinge - to complain persistently and peevishly (Oxford Dictionary). Your point might be more persuasive if you didn't commit the same 'offences' you accuse your detractors/adversaries/fellow forum buddies of

2thick

Old Dec 20th 2002, 8:51 am
Magnetic Member

magnetman is on a distinguished road

Not much Christmas bonhomie on this thread - just a bunch of silly spelling mistakes. Dictionaries for Christmas anyone?